Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2045
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF » Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 am
aeq5006 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am
Sierra Nevada = what state are the namesake mountains in?
Nevada?
OK what state are they PRIMARILY in?
Not OK, but CA.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3699
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue May 23, 2017 11:56 am

BobF wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 am
aeq5006 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am
Sierra Nevada = what state are the namesake mountains in?
Nevada?
OK what state are they PRIMARILY in?
Not OK, but CA.
You got ME there.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 5459
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Tue May 23, 2017 12:25 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:56 am
BobF wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:40 am
aeq5006 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am
Sierra Nevada = what state are the namesake mountains in?
Nevada?
OK what state are they PRIMARILY in?
Not OK, but CA.
You got ME there.
At least you didn't think it was in LA LA Land.

CasketRomance
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:49 pm
It was double promotion day with the app for the Jeopardy! World Tour game and the Online Tests next week.

The Fresh Off the Boat clue had my ears perk up as Alex pronounced character Jessica’s last name Huang as sounding like the Wang in Wang Chung while on the show it’s said closer to “Wong” rhyming with Hong Kong. I would have made Alex record a do over.


Eddie Huang wrote the memoir that is the basis for the sitcom and I found several videos on YouTube where he was introduced as Alex pronounced the last name while there were just as many said the other way. The clue was only about the ABC show though, so I say faulty work by the researchers and Alex.

I think the writers want contestants to know John Quincy Adams served in the House as that was a correct DD response all the way back on May 2nd.

For the FJ! clue I exactly matched Tanya with the cross out to correct response pattern. My thinking was it looked like perhaps India and it was only when saying “Caranjee” aloud that I realized I needed to make the switch.

That was nice of Tanya to get it and bet big to ease the ouch factor of Ragavan’s incorrect response and wager. Losing $1000 for such offenses is just. $31,000 and a TOC spot lost is harsher.
caught that as well...dude gets so pizzed when people mispronounce his precious french bullshit, but yet it is okay for him to butcher asian words....i remember the first time gangnam style was used as an answer to a clue and a contestant mispronounced it and their response was ruled wrong...he then chimed in with a fukked up pronunciation which he deemed as correct...there is more to the world than the language of frog, trebek...since that initial gangnam style answer it has been an answer or part of a clue at least 2 other times and each time he messed it up...despise that pompous POS

CasketRomance
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 am
morbeedo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm
BEERS BY STATE went right past me. I drink plenty of beer but couldn't tell you where in the US these beers are brewed, unless we're talking Brooklyn Lager. How does anyone know this?
Pint Night at the pub trivia; you even get to keep the glass. Pretty sure I have the Brooklyn Lager glass somewhere.

Jai Alai was the only one I hadn't heard of out of the bunch. The rest I think are more widely distributed? Yuengling is still somewhat limited, but it's the oldest brewery in the US, so it's noteworthy in that sense.

yeah they were all pretty easy...had never heard of jai alai beer before, but was easy since the sport is synonymous with the state of florida...was hoping they used dead guy ale

CasketRomance
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 23, 2017 1:19 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 2:36 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:06 am
Jai Alai = in what state is jai alai played?
I couldn't get "Basque Country" out of my head (where the sport originates from", thankfully didn't "ring in" on that though. Other than that, Florida isn't really *famous* for its jai alai, was a bit undervalued IMHO (especially since Yungling was something I *have* heard of and knew it was Pennsylvanian, I'd at least switch those two, if not put the Jai Alai one in the bottom row.)
sure it is...can even bet on it there...only place outside of delaware and nevada where wagering on non dog/horse sports is legal...well montana and oregon is grandfathered in, but is not currently allowed in either state

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mennoknight » Tue May 23, 2017 2:16 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:49 pm
It was double promotion day with the app for the Jeopardy! World Tour game and the Online Tests next week.

The Fresh Off the Boat clue had my ears perk up as Alex pronounced character Jessica’s last name Huang as sounding like the Wang in Wang Chung while on the show it’s said closer to “Wong” rhyming with Hong Kong. I would have made Alex record a do over.


Eddie Huang wrote the memoir that is the basis for the sitcom and I found several videos on YouTube where he was introduced as Alex pronounced the last name while there were just as many said the other way. The clue was only about the ABC show though, so I say faulty work by the researchers and Alex.

I think the writers want contestants to know John Quincy Adams served in the House as that was a correct DD response all the way back on May 2nd.

For the FJ! clue I exactly matched Tanya with the cross out to correct response pattern. My thinking was it looked like perhaps India and it was only when saying “Caranjee” aloud that I realized I needed to make the switch.

That was nice of Tanya to get it and bet big to ease the ouch factor of Ragavan’s incorrect response and wager. Losing $1000 for such offenses is just. $31,000 and a TOC spot lost is harsher.
caught that as well...dude gets so pizzed when people mispronounce his precious french bullshit, but yet it is okay for him to butcher asian words....i remember the first time gangnam style was used as an answer to a clue and a contestant mispronounced it and their response was ruled wrong...he then chimed in with a fukked up pronunciation which he deemed as correct...there is more to the world than the language of frog, trebek...since that initial gangnam style answer it has been an answer or part of a clue at least 2 other times and each time he messed it up...despise that pompous POS
Image
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8518
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Tue May 23, 2017 3:32 pm

I got Florida because I do associate jai alai with Florida. Yuengling I just happened to know. Texas was the only one I missed, never heard of it before.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3699
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue May 23, 2017 4:40 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 am
morbeedo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm
BEERS BY STATE went right past me. I drink plenty of beer but couldn't tell you where in the US these beers are brewed, unless we're talking Brooklyn Lager. How does anyone know this?
Pint Night at the pub trivia; you even get to keep the glass. Pretty sure I have the Brooklyn Lager glass somewhere.

Jai Alai was the only one I hadn't heard of out of the bunch. The rest I think are more widely distributed? Yuengling is still somewhat limited, but it's the oldest brewery in the US, so it's noteworthy in that sense.

yeah they were all pretty easy...had never heard of jai alai beer before, but was easy since the sport is synonymous with the state of florida...was hoping they used dead guy ale
Burning River Pale Ale would have been a nice bottom row clue.

CasketRomance
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 4:40 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:16 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 12:05 am
morbeedo wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 11:49 pm
BEERS BY STATE went right past me. I drink plenty of beer but couldn't tell you where in the US these beers are brewed, unless we're talking Brooklyn Lager. How does anyone know this?
Pint Night at the pub trivia; you even get to keep the glass. Pretty sure I have the Brooklyn Lager glass somewhere.

Jai Alai was the only one I hadn't heard of out of the bunch. The rest I think are more widely distributed? Yuengling is still somewhat limited, but it's the oldest brewery in the US, so it's noteworthy in that sense.

yeah they were all pretty easy...had never heard of jai alai beer before, but was easy since the sport is synonymous with the state of florida...was hoping they used dead guy ale
Burning River Pale Ale would have been a nice bottom row clue.
hammer smashed ale (cannibal corpse beer brewed in indiana) would have been a good one as well

User avatar
grindcore
Some Guy
Posts: 499
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Winnipeg

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by grindcore » Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm
hammer smashed ale (cannibal corpse beer brewed in indiana) would have been a good one as well
Well, considering cannibal corpse are from florida that would have been eight or nine levels of difficulty too much for jeopardy i think.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 pm

Of course when I went to buy beer at the grocery store just now, Shiner Bock was very prominently displayed! so I picked up a 6-pack. Hope it's good!

Coney Island Mermaid Pilsner would have been a more gettable clue (for me)

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4157
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by jeff6286 » Wed May 24, 2017 8:40 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 3:32 pm
I got Florida because I do associate jai alai with Florida. Yuengling I just happened to know. Texas was the only one I missed, never heard of it before.
Here you go, read up!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu May 25, 2017 1:39 am

Coryat: $33,200
44 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Thunder Bay, ragweed

I could not have had a more average game. My adjusted (to a full $54,000 board) Coryat was $34,477. My regular-play average for the season is $34,435, 43.8 R/2.4 W.
Sprinkles are for winners.

TomFromMD
Valued Contributor
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:34 am

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TomFromMD » Thu May 25, 2017 5:19 am

morbeedo wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 pm
Of course when I went to buy beer at the grocery store just now, Shiner Bock was very prominently displayed! so I picked up a 6-pack. Hope it's good!
It's not bad, but not great. It used to be a good value beer, but too many people started drinking it, and it got more expensive. Shiner currently has a special edition "Birthday Beer" made with coffee that's pretty good, if you like that kind of thing.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 899
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Thu May 25, 2017 8:24 am

TomFromMD wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:19 am
morbeedo wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 8:11 pm
Of course when I went to buy beer at the grocery store just now, Shiner Bock was very prominently displayed! so I picked up a 6-pack. Hope it's good!
It's not bad, but not great. It used to be a good value beer, but too many people started drinking it, and it got more expensive. Shiner currently has a special edition "Birthday Beer" made with coffee that's pretty good, if you like that kind of thing.
I paid $11.99 - NYC prices! But yeah it tastes pretty good. I didn't see Birthday Beer but they had a seasonal ruby grapefruit offering and that's definitely not my thing
Of course now whenever I see beer on the store or in a commercial I notice where it comes from ;)

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5377
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alietr » Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 am

I had a Shiner Prickly Pear beer last year. I liked it, but they don't make it anymore.

CasketRomance
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 2:40 pm

Re: Monday, May 22, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by CasketRomance » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:37 pm

grindcore wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 pm
CasketRomance wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm
hammer smashed ale (cannibal corpse beer brewed in indiana) would have been a good one as well
Well, considering cannibal corpse are from florida that would have been eight or nine levels of difficulty too much for jeopardy i think.
not to mention originally from buffalo, new york

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bob78164, Google [Bot], MinnesotaMyron, mujason, TenPoundHammer and 19 guests