Tuesday, May 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman" wrote:Bad FJ wagers by all three.
I think I can predict what Tanya will wager if she goes into FJ with a non-lock lead in her next game. $5 more than 2nd place's score.
The trailing wagers were quite similar to Monday's game as well. 2nd badly over bets and 3rd goes too conservative. At least Kelly only held back $999 too much, where as 3rd place in the previous game needlessly held back nearly three times that amount.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I attribute my FJ get to this 100%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItGo-Rq9pwc
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woppy T wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 pm
goatman wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 pm
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 5:30 pm
I would have ruled Tanya wrong as she put a non-existent "g" in the title (a la Olivia Newton-John, who in 1976 actually had a hit with said similar title) instead of an apostrophe a la Journey.

She still would have won, though.
Sorry, no: the J-rule is if spelling does not change the vocalization of the otherwise correct response, it is NOT penalized! GTK eh!? :D
But it DOES change the vocalization. And how do we reconcile this with "waitin for Godot"?
The same way we have every time this question has come up previously. You're allowed to normalize abnormal or elided spelling, e.g. Singing in the Rain for Singin' in the Rain. You are not allowed to abnormalize normal spelling as in, e.g., Waitin for Godot.

We can debate until the cows come home whether this should be the rule. (Well, others can debate. I'm not interested.) But every time this comes up, we note that this consistently is the rule. So today's FJ marks another consistent application of an easily understood rule. Learn it, love it, live it, kids.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wheatley wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 pm
I have Billy Joel to thank for knowing "Dien Bien Phu," but how much latitude would you get for mangling the pronunciation? I think I said it as roughly "Din Bin Phu."
That's pretty much how LBJ said it. I'd give it to you.

Wheatley wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 pm
"Born on third base and thinks he hit ____" was very undervalued at $200. Home run seemed perfectly cromulent.
Disagree there; in baseball if you hit a home run, you don't stop at third so it makes no sense.
Sure it does. You start out on third as a pinch runner. Someone else bats you in. You act like all the credit goes to you for that run when all you did was make the trip from third to home without getting tagged. I get the mistaken response. I almost made it myself. But once "home run" is ruled out, it's pretty obvious that there's only one other possibility.

Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

INSTAGET FJ...had "Don't Stop Believin'" off of 'Jonathan Cain', with the rest of the clue sealing the deal. With music AND retro inspired pop culture being in my top wheelhouses, no way was I missing that one.

Ran Monogram Mania, and almost ran History (got Dien Bien Phu-ed), Cooking Terms (got kippered), Know The Nose (got philtrum-med...had it on the tip of my tongue, dagnabit), Creatures In Mythology (got trampled by Chiron), and A "Little" In Title (got schooled by Little Children). Also got the cosmo LT.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got FJ. Good game tonight. Tanya is really making a lot of money quickly. And to think that she's...

Just a small town girl...
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

The name Jonathan Cain meant nothing to me, so I had to think about it. My first thought was "Hold Your Head Up" but that's four words and I knew it was from the '70s. The correct answer came to me about halfway through the music.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Wheatley wrote:
morbeedo wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 pm

She had no guess on any American colony c. 1620? What did she end up saying? Calgary?

Never saw Dexter to know it's set in Miami but WECIB?
Yes, Calgary. I couldn't get it either but at least I said a colony (New Hampshire, on the logic they were fleeing English oppression in Old Hampshire)
Calvert should be Pavlov for Maryland, I'm positive that was the intended TOM.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

My first thought was Takin' Care of Business, but that's older and four words (though it does include the dropped G).

I tried thinking of songs with titles starting with "Don't", but I'll go with the "it's hard to think of songs while music is playing" excuse there.

Eventually I settled on You're the Best, which I knew was later and performed by Joe Esposito, but it kinda fit some parts of the clue.

Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 12:17 am
The name Jonathan Cain meant nothing to me, so I had to think about it. My first thought was "Hold Your Head Up" but that's four words and I knew it was from the '70s. The correct answer came to me about halfway through the music.
I also got it about halfway through the music. When I don't watch the game, though, I play the music in my head. Sometimes fast, sometimes slow, depending on my mood.
I'm smart and I want respect.

BobF

Post by BobF »

Instaget. Took my middle son to see them as a birthday present last summer. As the show was winding down, people were leaving, and I said to my son "Who goes to a Journey concert and leaves before they play Don't Stop Believin?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This baby boomer had no clue about FJ. However, there are very few music clues I'll ever get. I never cared about frontmen and faux celebrities, and as a non-druggie, there was little reason to attend concerts in my youth. I thought the category set up nicely for Tonya (ageism at work), but she's held her own on some recent pop culture questions so kudos to the gray haired one.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote:
Kelly's show about "Colonial Spies," did she mean "Turn?"
That's my assumption. I know there are many scenes in taverns.

I'm not happy with myself, not only for missing FJ, but for saying C.S. Lewis instead C. Day Lewis. That was a slip of the tongue, but I thought those two men were related, at least - that C.S. was Daniel's uncle, maybe? - but that's not right either... :roll:

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dhkendall wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:03 am
Calvert should be Pavlov for Maryland, I'm positive that was the intended TOM.
Definitely. Calvert = Lord Baltimore = Maryland. The writers love that connection. It WILL come up again.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dinghammer wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:21 am
My first thought was Takin' Care of Business, but that's older and four words (though it does include the dropped G).
It does include the G that it doesn't include. Ow, my head.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:18 am
Tonya
Tanya.

Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

But it DOES change the vocalization.
G-dropping and other informal pronunciations are quite common in pop music lyrics as they are pronounced/vocalized, but whether this is reflected in the official title and lyrics seems to be based on the whim of the songwriter or perhaps even the whim of the record company or publishing company. Probably most people don't realize that the official title of the first American Beatles hit is "I Want to Hold Your Hand," which was of course not vocalized that way. Another good example is CCR's "Bad Moon Rising," where a g-less pronunciation was allowed a few weeks ago, I assume on the grounds that it reflects the actual vocalization even if not the official spelling.

It is inconsistent and unpredictable enough that it would be a hard thing to demand contestants remember in the moment. A highbrow play like Waiting for Godot is a different story. (Did that contestant ever weigh in here or elsewhere on his motivation? I always assumed it was just a slip of the pen rather than a poorly-timed attempt to be folksy. If he had left out a different letter, it would be a less-remembered story today - a tale of bad luck but not of a controversial ruling.)

morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by morbeedo »

Maven wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 11:30 pm
Ran Monogram Mania, and almost ran History (got Dien Bien Phu-ed), Cooking Terms (got kippered), Know The Nose (got philtrum-med...had it on the tip of my tongue, dagnabit), Creatures In Mythology (got trampled by Chiron), and A "Little" In Title (got schooled by Little Children). Also got the cosmo LT.
I got / missed all the same clues! Don't know what pickled salmon tastes like, but I don't think I'd like it :lol:

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Instaget! I saw them perform it live while waiting for a much better band to get on stage.

TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 5:30 pm
I would have ruled Tanya wrong as she put a non-existent "g" in the title (a la Olivia Newton-John, who in 1976 actually had a hit with said similar title) instead of an apostrophe a la Journey.
Wikipedia lists Olivia Newton-John's song as Don't Stop Believin', just like Journey's song.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_S ... 27_(album)