Tuesday, May 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC ROCK SONGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Jonathan Cain was a struggling musician when his father told him to keep at it & never give up, inspiring this 3-word 1981 title

Tanya Obreiter: 15800+12605=28405 (2x = $63,210)
Daniel Okamura: 12600-12599=1
Kelly Sullivan: 7400-0=7400

Correct response:
Spoiler
“Don’t Stop Believin’” (Tanya – Don’t Stop Believing) (Daniel – Keep On Rocking) (Kelly – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Daniel: 0+1000
Kelly: 5200-1000
Daniel: 8600+4000

Coryats
Tanya: 15800
Daniel: 10000
Kelly: 8400

Combined: 34,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Dien Bien Phu, Marquette = Wisconsin & Ted Hughes are the kind of trash that will have lots of collectors adding to their 4th podium score today.

For the FJ! round discussion:
Spoiler

#7425, aired 2016-12-16 SONGS ON TV $400: "Don't Stop Believin'" by this band is playin' at the end of the last episode of "The Sopranos", until suddenly, it isn't
#7085, aired 2015-06-05 THE MOST DOWNLOADED ROCK SONGS $400: Listeners continue to have faith in this anthem by Journey, No. 2 on the list
#6998, aired 2015-02-04 BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONG $1,400 (Daily Double): "We're Not Gonna Take It" & "Don't Stop Believin'"
#6781, aired 2014-02-24 DON'T SONGS $1000: Featured on "glee" & in "Rock Of Ages", this song goes "on and on and on and on"
#6588, aired 2013-04-17 ON LEAD VOCALS $1200: 1981: "Don't Stop Believin'"
#6089, aired 2011-02-17 GLEE SONGS $400: The first episode featured the ensemble singing this Journey song that begins, "Just a small town girl"
#5590, aired 2008-12-19 HIP REPLACEMENT $2000: "Don't Stop Believin'"! In 2007 this '80s band found its new singer in the Philippines, doing covers on YouTube

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4126

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4008
I matched Tanya’s response for the first thing on my paper and I changed it to the true title as think music went along in remembering it from when I used to write down the Top 40 as I listened to Casey Kasem’s countdown.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

I would have ruled Tanya wrong as she put a non-existent "g" in the title (a la Olivia Newton-John, who in 1976 actually had a hit with said similar title) instead of an apostrophe a la Journey.

She still would have won, though.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Easy FJ
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:30 pm I would have ruled Tanya wrong as she put a non-existent "g" in the title (a la Olivia Newton-John, who in 1976 actually had a hit with said similar title) instead of an apostrophe a la Journey.

No she wouldn't. She has $3,195 if she is ruled incorrect.

Absolutely nothing came to me in FJ.

Bad FJ wagers by all three. And a bad late DD wager by Daniel.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Born on third base and thinks he hit ____" was very undervalued at $200. Home run seemed perfectly cromulent.

Charles Darrow and olfactory were my only misses in their categories.

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" eluded me because I was thinking it had to begin with "little". That ALWAYS trips me up in "word in quotes" categories.

Told you they'd have a MLP:FIM clue eventually.

Mega can come before bucks?!

Lach Trash: philtrum

I've mentioned it before, "Don't Stop Believin'" is one of my least favorite songs of all time. Maybe not quite as intolerable as "7 Years", but it's definitely up there.

Seriously, THAT is the clue that snaps my FJ! losing streak begun on April 7?! I feel dirty.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 5:30 pm I would have ruled Tanya wrong as she put a non-existent "g" in the title (a la Olivia Newton-John, who in 1976 actually had a hit with said similar title) instead of an apostrophe a la Journey.
I'm glad they accepted it. Heck, at home, I was 50-50 on whether or not the title had the g. I left off the g, which turned out to be correct, but I feel accepting "believing" here was the right call.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I knew it would be an instaget of instagets for AP. Kind of surprised it was a sole get, because it became hugely popular again a few years ago.
I had one of my worst Coryats of the season, and a record number of negs. Glad I wasn't up there.
Hoping for a third lap
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Had no idea who the **** Jonathan Cain is, but while trying to come up with a 3-word phrase similar to 'keep at it' and 'never give up' without using any of those words, "don't stop..." came to mind, and I threw in 'believin' as a WAG. I'll take it.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

INstaget. Old skool cool. 49R. 8-)

9 LT: spoiled child syndrome, Dienbienphu, philtrum (precalled on cat!), leisure class; MDD ON Calvert, MD (see my note!); Marquette Univ of WI; Chiron the Centaur, Cosmos > Cosmo, Sylvia Plath > Ted Hughes.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Sorry, no: the J-rule is if spelling does not change the vocalization of the otherwise correct response, it is NOT penalized! GTK eh!? :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Journey was my band back in the day so I knew exactly who Cain was. For me, this may have been the instaget of instagets. P.S. Cain also wrote the Journey classic, "Faithfully."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Picked up triple (really, how is this a TS?), Dien Bien Phu, leisure, Chiron, cosmo trash + the Maryland DD (Calvert should be a Pavlov for Maryland)
knew Jonathan Cain as keyboardist for Journey, easiest of FJs. This is one of the few categories where I would be tempted to Clavin. 8-)
kids...
davey

Post by davey »

First thought on reading the clue: Oh, it's the Sopranos song!
Second thought: What is it called??... :? I kept thinking that for 30 seconds... :oops: :roll:
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

goatman wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Sorry, no: the J-rule is if spelling does not change the vocalization of the otherwise correct response, it is NOT penalized! GTK eh!? :D
But it DOES change the vocalization. And how do we reconcile this with "waitin for Godot"?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: I would have ruled Tanya wrong as she put a non-existent "g" in the title (a la Olivia Newton-John, who in 1976 actually had a hit with said similar title) instead of an apostrophe a la Journey.

No she wouldn't. She has $3,195 if she is ruled incorrect.
Actually, the Olivia Newton-John song uses the same spelling as Journey's title.
TPH wrote:I've mentioned it before, "Don't Stop Believin'" is one of my least favorite songs of all time. Maybe not quite as intolerable as "7 Years", but it's definitely up there.
At least that led to you getting the correct answer. I've never been a fan of Journey and consequently couldn't make any connection to the correct song from the clue. Steve Perry is the only Journey member I could name. I'm very familliar with that song but I wouldn't have been able to tell you what year it came out. When I get sick of a song from too much radio airplay, I either turn the channel or just tune out when they come up.
This category would normally have been a wheelhouse for me but not this time.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Nightmare FJ for me. Can't think of anything musical when that dang think music is playing

She had no guess on any American colony c. 1620? What did she end up saying? Calgary?

I learned Sino- wrong as Japanese and can't unlearn it, but I would've said it anyway

I love the writers for puns like A LITTLE ENTITLED and A "LITTLE" IN TITLE

Never saw Dexter to know it's set in Miami but WECIB?
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Kelly's show about "Colonial Spies," did she mean "Turn?"

I have Billy Joel to thank for knowing "Dien Bien Phu," but how much latitude would you get for mangling the pronunciation? I think I said it as roughly "Din Bin Phu."

"Women's Rights Activtivst SBA" should have been the $200 clue; without the initials she's the first one I thought of

For legendary Centaur at $2k was "Sagittarius" a huge negbait, or was it just me who fell for it? (plausible, GlaDOS said I was a moron)

Daniel Day Lewis' father is NOT Sinclair Lewis, I now know that.

Instaget on FJ despite not knowing who Johnathan Cain was.
morbeedo wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 9:42 pm
She had no guess on any American colony c. 1620? What did she end up saying? Calgary?

Never saw Dexter to know it's set in Miami but WECIB?
Yes, Calgary. I couldn't get it either but at least I said a colony (New Hampshire, on the logic they were fleeing English oppression in Old Hampshire)

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 pm "Born on third base and thinks he hit ____" was very undervalued at $200. Home run seemed perfectly cromulent.
Disagree there; in baseball if you hit a home run, you don't stop at third so it makes no sense.
Last edited by Wheatley on Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing