Wednesday, May 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DOG BREEDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This popular small dog breed is named for the man who was the vicar of Swimbridge for almost 50 years, beginning in 1832

Tanya Obreiter: 6400+3000=3400
Mackenzie Vogt: 15600-3000=12600 (New Champ)
Matthew Cooper: 9200+3000=12200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jack Russell Terrier (Tanya – Yorkie) (Mackenzie – Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) (Matthew – Jack Russel Terrier)

Daily Doubles
Tanya: 600-1000
Matthew: 2600+2200
Tanya: 5200-2000

Coryats
Tanya: 9400
Mackenzie: 15600
Matthew: 8600

Combined: 33,600

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After 4 clues all the players were in the red. That and the third time’s the charm to get Saigon had me expecting a worse result than 33,600 for the combined Coryat.

I heard “preforation” on the first try so I knew that one had to be reversed.

When Tanya played DD3 she did not hear me telling hear not to do Charlie as I could see that miss possibly happening as soon as the clue was shown. Tanya was 0/3 on big clues so tough to get to game 4 (or game 76) that way.

Strange to see a FJ! round with all three wagers 3000 on the nose. All three were crimes of varying degrees.

The FJ! clue was one when I could relax for think music as I knew the story and the spelling without doubt.

Matthew was 2/2 on big clues and should have won the game, so Mackenzie was quite fortunate to get by when he missed the one big clue he played.

BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 11:57 am
Strange to see a FJ! round with all three wagers 3000 on the nose. All three were crimes of varying degrees.
Can't really fault Mackenzie for rounding 2801 up to 3000. But the other two were simply bad.

A clue I would have had 15 years ago, but not today. Back then I had a job where my boss would bring his (that breed of dog) to work and I would spend lunch hours exercising her. But now that I'm the owner of a Yorkie, I couldn't get my mind past that even though I knew it was wrong.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

JLJ
Valued Contributor

Post by JLJ »

BobF wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Can't really fault Mackenzie for rounding 2801 up to 3000. But the other two were simply bad.

According to OntarioQuizzer, with games in J-archive, the 3 way wager in this one is a first of its kind.

The round-up to 3k for Mackenzie could have cost him the game (assuming he wouldn't have played for the tie at worst). Given his super-hot first on the buzzer numbers (>50% for the game), he'd have to feel good on a tiebreaker, if needed.

I think the best route for all would have been for Tanya to bet it all, for Matthew to bet it all, and for Mackenzie to have gone 2800, in my opinion. He only outright loses in that spot if Matthew doubles and gets it right and he misses. Otherwise, Mackenzie's at worst in a tie with one or the other, depending on the responses, regardless of his response.

It was a First equals second plus third game (exactly), so with optimal wagering, we could have seen a wildly entertaining result.
I'm living proof to show that a good attitude, a Southern accent, a ridiculous beard, and a middling amount of trivia knowledge can get you onto Jeopardy!

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JLJ wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 3:02 pm
BobF wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 1:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:

According to OntarioQuizzer, with games in J-archive, the 3 way wager in this one is a first of its kind.

This game was oh so close to three matching wagers in the FJ! round: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=911

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew the Jack Russell was named for an English preacher, so that was an instaget for me.

I can see rounding up if you are just bad at math or too lazy to work it out, but it gave Tanya a chance to beat him outright when she has a tie at best if he offers Matthew the tie.

I did not know Dr. Oz did the heart transplant on Frank Torre. For that matter, I did not know he was a heart surgeon..

I'm a little surprised we've never had all three make the same bet before. One of the no-winner games featured a two player FJ where they were tied and both bet it all and got it wrong.
Last edited by Bamaman on Wed May 24, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Now I understand how the baseball fans felt about the Brooklyn category a few days back. Tennis was a easy run. The way Del Po blasted Fed during US Open a few years back was a treat to watch.

Dr.OZ actually performed a heart surgery? Sure.

Dismissed King Cavalier for FJ, only other name I could think of is Gordon Setter. Dog Breeds and Rock songs? = I am just glad that I am not up there this week.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BAD WAGER ALERT

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm
Dr.OZ actually performed a heart surgery? Sure.
With Ken Jeong scrubbing in to assist?

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've never seen a male named Mackenzie before, but I know at least four females with that name.

I thought "the women ask the men" being a "feature" was a very awkwardly written clue.

How did "preforations" get by the judges even with a pause? That should've been insta-neg, not overturned later.

I got all but Model T because I wasn't sure whether they wanted T or A. Suggestions on keeping them straight?

Crime Rhyme just didn't click for me. I usually do well in those categories but the crime terms just weren't coming to me.

I bit on the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory negbait on the Novels DD even though between Peach and Chocolate Factory, I've only read the former. Anyone else also go with Chocolate Factory? If so, we should poll this.

I've only barely heard of a Jack Russell Terrier, so I didn't know they were small. I had nothing.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Well, I got terrier... but not Jack Russell terrier. Spent the whole thirty seconds thinking of small dog breeds in too general of a sense. Probably would've gotten it if I thought of specific terriers, specifically, instead of trying to think through totally different breeds.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I consider dog breeds a wheelhouse category, having once been a petsitter. To get FJ, I just tried to think of a dog named after a person. Yes, I know there's Doberman Pinscher and King Charles Chevalier, but Jack Russell was the only one I could think of where the dog was named after the person's first and last name. Yes, I realized that wasn't specified in the clue.

On the Roald Dahl DD, I knew the name of the child protagonist in the "Chocolate Factory" book was Charlie, and "James and the Giant Peach" was the only other Dahl book I could think of, so I went with it.

skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

I liked the FJ category. It was a nice birthday present.

My precalls during the commercial break included St. Bernard (named for a saint who has a mountain pass named after him), Chihuahua (small dog named for a large Mexican state), Great Pyrenees (named for a mountain range between France & Spain), Dalmatian (named for a coastal region of Croatia)...

I already knew that the Jack Russell was named for a preacher. But even if you didn't know that specific story, "small dog" and the fact that it was named for a specific person might take you there.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Postal (2), Musical (3), Geographic (3), Together (3), Crime Rhyme (1), Hearst (4)
Tennis (4), Novel (3), Who (3), "HAT" (1), Amendment (2), Dr. Oz (2)

Lach Trash: herder murder, Argentina; Daily Doubles: Stalingrad, James and the Giant Peach

I guessed Skye Terrier, thinking Skye was the person's surname. I didn't expect to get this FJ right when I saw the category, so it was a matter of just thinking of an answer that sounded good to me and going with it.

DBear

Post by DBear »

FJ was total SWAG for me.
Got the Stalingrad DD, Colorado, open-heart, Argentina trash.
My favorite moment was the Hillary Clinton clue :twisted:

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

thenextofken wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 pm
I consider dog breeds a wheelhouse category, having once been a petsitter. To get FJ, I just tried to think of a dog named after a person. Yes, I know there's Doberman Pinscher and King Charles Chevalier, but Jack Russell was the only one I could think of where the dog was named after the person's first and last name. Yes, I realized that wasn't specified in the clue.

On the Roald Dahl DD, I knew the name of the child protagonist in the "Chocolate Factory" book was Charlie, and "James and the Giant Peach" was the only other Dahl book I could think of, so I went with it.
It's Cavalier, not Chevalier - British, you know, not French, after all. That seems like a crazy miss by the contestant, since one might be expected to suppose that it was named after ... um... King Charles.

My first two precalls were Jack Russell Terrier and Weimaraner, only because my neighbor had a JRT when I moved here, then got a Weimaraner, and now that he's gone as well, has a new JRT. I had to laugh when I saw the clue.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Lach Trash: Colorado. Being a Yankee, all I know about it is Rocky Mountains and pot is legal.

NHO Final Jeopardy, all the plausible answers I could conjure up were big dogs. Ah well, I'm more of a cat person anyway.

I got "Inverted Jenny" not because I know stamps or planes, but because I remembered them using that question 3 years ago!
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Point Pleasant FTW! I just drove through there yesterday. There was a contestant from Toms River (two towns away) just 22 days ago.
It didn't even occur to me that all three of them wagered $3000. Someone needs to buy the domain justwager3000, since the old justwager4000.co redirects to an eyeglasses site.
Having "Rocky Mountain state" in the $1000 column led me to overthink it and say "New Mexico." The Rockies go through quite a few states, and when you think of inland sand dunes, you probably think of White Sands.
Hoping for a third lap