Wednesday, May 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, May 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 6:42 pm
doihavetoreally wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 5:54 pm
Dr.OZ actually performed a heart surgery? Sure.
With Ken Jeong scrubbing in to assist?
At least Ken doesn't depend on his medical degree for entertainment.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I got FJ, but thought I was going to be wrong since I didn't think that a Jack Russell Terrier was small enough to be a "small" dog.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 7:28 pm
I bit on the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory negbait on the Novels DD even though between Peach and Chocolate Factory, I've only read the former.
It's fairly well-known that Charlie's last name is Bucket.

In other clues ... would I be alone in not ringing in on Colorado? For a bottom-row clue, that's not where I going to go first.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Dr. Oz is pretty much THE heart surgeon guy in the US.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-dumb-cele ... you-think/
(Which makes what he's devolved into in the media a legitimate crime against science)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): What Dreams May Come (8), Parasite (10), Gods and Generals (6), Sausage Party (8)

Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

*walks in 'scatting' "Tossed Salad And Scrambled Eggs"*

Quite stylish!

Pretty much instagot FJ...just had to go over my mental list of small dog breeds for a couple of seconds after Alex read the clue to make sure there were not any other person named contenders versus the Jack Russell Terrier. But I was about 99% confident when JRT popped into my head in the middle of the clue.

Ran Hearst Story (including the Stalingrad DD), Come Together (including the fiesta LT), At The Smithsonian National Postal Museum, Crime Rhyme, and Geographic Formations (including the Colorado LT); and almost ran "Hat" Box (got dethroned by Hatshepsut). Also got the James And The Giant Peach DD.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought of Jack Russell right away. My wife had Dandie Dinmont.

By the way there's also a Parson Russell terrier, which I'm sure would have been an equally correct answer.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Let me be the first fool to have guessed "Corgi". I tried to think through pocket dog and lap dog breeds and wasn't generating enough choices, so I tried to think of something possibly derived from a name. I figured Corgi might be a name, and since the Queen favors them, that gives a little more FJ flair. I've heard of JRT's, and would have insta-picked it if I wasn't so insta-dumb.

Also I just got Maven's lede to her post as I made mine. Well played!

If you have a sole solve from second place and lose, well, you just made your trip expenses when you could have bought a car. I am not so critical of weak bets on DD's early in the game because there are still multiple paths to victory. But don't let the leader beat you without covering your double-up.

I stayed clam on the sand dunes for the same reason as the contestants. It seemed negbaity for a bottom box. A Rocky Mountain TOM for Colorado in the bottom box?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 pm
I got FJ, but thought I was going to be wrong since I didn't think that a Jack Russell Terrier was small enough to be a "small" dog.
Apparently you've been fooled by a Jack Russell Terrier. They like to tell you they're big dogs, but you really shouldn't listen.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 am
Let me be the first fool to have guessed "Corgi".
Strangely enough while I was reading this thread I looked out the window and a corgi was walking by. When I saw it I wondered if anyone guessed corgi. I don't think it's a bad guess at all.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

doihavetoreally wrote:
Now I understand how the baseball fans felt about the Brooklyn category a few days back. Tennis was a easy run. The way Del Po blasted Fed during US Open a few years back was a treat to watch.

Dismissed King Cavalier for FJ, only other name I could think of is Gordon Setter. Dog Breeds and Rock songs? = I am just glad that I am not up there this week.

I despise Federer so I had recorded that match but I decided to just delete it but then I accidentally heard the result & I couldn't wait to get home to watch it in its entirety. As for today, I guessed cocker spaniel, my first miss in a while. I was rooting for Tanya to win again.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Johnblue wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 am
I despise Federer
Okay, inquiring minds want to know: why? I love Federer. I think he's one of the greatest athletes in history and seems like a real stand-up guy, to boot.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:18 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:20 pm
Apparently you've been fooled by a Jack Russell Terrier. They like to tell you they're big dogs, but you really shouldn't listen.
He *is* a cat. Dogs love to troll them.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Strangely enough while I was reading this thread I looked out the window and a corgi was walking by. When I saw it I wondered if anyone guessed corgi. I don't think it's a bad guess at all.
Don't tell a corgi you think it's a 'small' dog. Just don't.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

bomtr wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:34 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 am
twelvefootboy wrote:
Don't tell a corgi you think it's a 'small' dog. Just don't.
My parents inherited a corgi from my grandma and it was a fat, lazy, blind, good-for-nothing dog that pissed on the carpet. But it wasn't small.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I guess "Who is Eddie?" wouldn't have been acceptable...

TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

econgator wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 pm
In other clues ... would I be alone in not ringing in on Colorado? For a bottom-row clue, that's not where I going to go first.
The risk, especially at the bottom, was whether "this Rocky Mountain state" meant a Rocky Mountain state or "the Rocky Mountain State", a nickname for Colorado. It could have been negbait, and that's pretty far down the board to take a chance.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I clicked my pen for Colorado, but I wasn't as confident as I would if it had been in the top row.

Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

TomFromMD wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:12 am
econgator wrote:
The risk, especially at the bottom, was whether "this Rocky Mountain state" meant a Rocky Mountain state or "the Rocky Mountain State", a nickname for Colorado. It could have been negbait, and that's pretty far down the board to take a chance.
I think "Rocky Mountain state" functioned here less as a TOM and more as confirmation of where Great Sand Dunes is located if you're already somewhat familiar with it. I have a pretty good handle on the 59 US National Parks but sometimes get fuzzy on one nearby state versus another. without the Rocky Mountains mention it may have been a toss up for me between Utah and Colorado as both have several parks (five and four, respectively) that have a tendency to run together in my mind.
I would prefer not to.

doihavetoreally

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:00 am
Johnblue wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 12:44 am
I despise Federer
Okay, inquiring minds want to know: why? I love Federer. I think he's one of the greatest athletes in history and seems like a real stand-up guy, to boot.
John could add his perspective..we have taken over the thread.

I wasn't a big Fed fan too, initially. He looks sly and I also believe he won a ton when Roddick was the next best. Fed's record against Nadal speaks for itself. Over the years, I've grown to like him for all that he has to do to stay on​ top, and his recent resurgence. Overall, this should be a great summer for tennis fans.. maybe I'll even get to attend usopen.

doihavetoreally

TomFromMD wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:12 am
econgator wrote:
I vaguely remember there was a clue in the past where a clue that had Rockies + state was not Colorado. So, if you don't know where great sand dunes are...it's better to clam.