Wednesday, November 30, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by harrumph »

The "lacking in one skill" part threw me, I assumed that as 19th century soldiers, victorious ones at that, that they had rifle skills.... I was trying to think of organizations that fight illiteracy.

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

harrumph wrote:The "lacking in one skill" part threw me, I assumed that as 19th century soldiers, victorious ones at that, that they had rifle skills....
Same here, pretty much. *sigh*

Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

On NYC's ABC channel we lost the beginning of J!, the introductions and about two categories, to an overrun of the news. It was not announced, not even "We now return you, etc." and those of us who know or know of Kiran, were totally non-plussed for those few minutes, which as we all know, move very fast. And we are sorry he lost.

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Either I'm getting better at "just figuring out" the FJs I don't actually know, or writers are making them more gettable this season. I also didn't know this about the NRA, and would never have guessed that it was created in response to Civil War shooting deficiencies. Oh well, just figured what else could it be?

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

Being one of two life members in the house... I would have been in trouble if I missed this FJ. (Though to be honest, my husband blurted it out faster than I did.) And what's funny is that we were shopping at two different gun stores yesterday. (Didn't find anything that spoke to us, though. Came home empty handed :P)

And what a bummer - two players in a row (Kendra and Kiran) who I really though could be ToC material, potentially. I need to stop retroactively jinxing players by thinking that.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

Zee2 wrote:On NYC's ABC channel we lost the beginning of J!, the introductions and about two categories, to an overrun of the news. It was not announced, not even "We now return you, etc." and those of us who know or know of Kiran, were totally non-plussed for those few minutes, which as we all know, move very fast. And we are sorry he lost.
We were wondering what happened, too.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

SkoolRN wrote:
Zee2 wrote:On NYC's ABC channel we lost the beginning of J!, the introductions and about two categories, to an overrun of the news. It was not announced, not even "We now return you, etc." and those of us who know or know of Kiran, were totally non-plussed for those few minutes, which as we all know, move very fast. And we are sorry he lost.
We were wondering what happened, too.
Same, WABC went nuts for 12 clues.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Congrats to Jan for a dominating performance and to Kiran for keeping play moving along nicely, I could definitely tell he was in a hurry and in no mood to lollygag (unlike many before him) once the "one minute" warning was sounded. Both exemplary players.

And, is it just me, or did Tim (who was, btw, no slouch of a player himself) remind you as well of Neil Patrick Harris' character in "How I Met Your Mother"? (Granted, I've only seen one episode (the one with Trebek, natch), and all I know about his character is that he wears suits all the time and I believe his name is Barney. So basically what I'm saying is that Tim looks like NPH in a suit.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

NRA was an instaget for me, though I was unaware of their origins. I also got Grant, but almost went with Jackson, need to brush up on my nuns and Egyptian mythology if/when I nget the call. Only one I got was "blah blah blah river in Egypt blah blah blah".

Yes, the $200 nun was hidden because Alex had the player repeat his response to the previous clue.

billiej

Post by billiej »

My husband is an NRA member - I'll have to run this one by him to see if he gets it as quickly as I do. :D I'm really surprised it was only a single get FJ, I never considered any other possibilities. Sometimes ignorance comes in handy!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Some FJ misses of mine can ultimately inform my body of knowledge, or even my thinking process, for the rest of my life. What I'm trying to say is, having failed and lost on "sniper," I was not gonna miss this one.

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:NRA was an instaget for me, though I was unaware of their origins. I also got Grant, but almost went with Jackson, need to brush up on my nuns and Egyptian mythology if/when I nget the call. Only one I got was "blah blah blah river in Egypt blah blah blah".
Larissa Kelly made the TofC finals because of Egyptian Mythology.