LL BWA Entries

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL BWA Entries

Post by RJRouge »

My favorites were Neutral Milk Hole Gel and Royal Canadian Mounted Umpires.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I was quite tickled by Bob&Tom McKenzie for the two missing officials, but also like "unfriend."
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

I was really hoping my entry of HBO (Horrible Body Odor) would be a BWA candidate for the PKU answer.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 amHere's hoping we win...it would be my 2nd, and I'd be happy to share the trophy with a friend.
Indeed! I finished in 3rd in LL76… unfortunately, my feat was lost in the crash, but there is evidence on JBoard
LL76 MD11 Q3 wrote:What is the name of the legal and theological document, with 28 editions published between 1487 and 1600, that was accepted for centuries by Roman Catholics and Protestants as an authoritative source on sorcery and satanism, and as a guide to Christian defense? (Either the original Latin title or the common English translation is acceptable.)
Correct Answer: MALLEUS MALEFICARUM/HAMMER OF WITCHES
Your Answer: 8 SIMPLE RULES FOR BURNING MY HERETIC DAUGHTER
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

The only one that made me seriously laugh out loud was GOING TO DIE/CHOLERA (for "Your ______ of _______"). Yes, despite the spelling error that results.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I couldn't even tell twelvefootgirl about "pull my finger" for the three word sport without literally laughing out loud. :lol: . I appreciated the original question, and missed it with "International Test Cricket", which probably isn't actually a sport name.

There are some good ones, but I don't tend to like the completely contrived attempts, and I assume a lot of them are double entendres I don't get. Amelia Bedelia, twice? I liked the "bottles of beer on the wall", just for the poetry of it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 am I couldn't even tell twelvefootgirl about "pull my finger" for the three word sport without literally laughing out loud. :lol: . I appreciated the original question, and missed it with "International Test Cricket", which probably isn't actually a sport name.

There are some good ones, but I don't tend to like the completely contrived attempts, and I assume a lot of them are double entendres I don't get. Amelia Bedelia, twice? I liked the "bottles of beer on the wall", just for the poetry of it.
I found "toe jam football" to be really funny on that one. Took me a bit to remember what it was from.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Can someone explain this one to me?

9. English biologist & anatomist Richard Owen is credited for coining what term, a compound of two Greek words, in his review on British reptiles published in an 1841's Report of the British Association for the Advancement of Science?

AMADEUS AMADEUS
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:39 pm Can someone explain this one to me?

9. English biologist & anatomist Richard Owen is credited for coining what term, a compound of two Greek words, in his review on British reptiles published in an 1841's Report of the British Association for the Advancement of Science?

AMADEUS AMADEUS
I don't know if it goes any deeper than being a Falco reference apropos of nothing.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:39 pm Can someone explain this one to me?

AMADEUS AMADEUS
Croc me Amadeus.

#gotnothin
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That's one of the best, huh? ::Rolls eyes::
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For "Booknotes", I went with "Whassup?"
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:50 am For "Booknotes", I went with "Whassup?"
Since it was on C-SPAN I put Congressional Pages. The maddening thing is I'm sure that I've watched that program in the past.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Not really one of my better ideas, but I'll share anyway:

Two armchairs and a coffee table in front of a black backdrop provided the simple setting for what weekly author interview series, which was hosted by C-SPAN founder Brian Lamb and ran on the network from 1989 to 2004, becoming the longest-running author interview program of its kind in U.S. TV history?

talking lamb to the slauthor

was originally going to go with "Between Two Armchairs", but for some reason thought this was better at the time.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:48 pm talking lamb to the slauthor
I like it. Doesn't work perfectly, but the idea is there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1. What kind of "ham" is a sandwich spread made with ground cooked ham, salt,
sugar, and spices, and sold in small round cans featuring the oldest food
trademark still in use in the United States?
Shaz-ham
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

The entries that made the list are lamer each season. Also, my brazenly targeted attempt of "Amelia Bedelia and Thorsten Integrity" (for the Victoria and Albert Museum question) did not succeed.

I gave my votes to Key Your Car, Tax Evasion, and David Byrne, the only ones that made my facial muscles move.

(No, you can't reply with "OK boomer", I am not one. Now get off my lawn!)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gnash wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:23 pm The entries that made the list are lamer each season. Also, my brazenly targeted attempt of "Amelia Bedelia and Thorsten Integrity" (for the Victoria and Albert Museum question) did not succeed.

I gave my votes to Key Your Car, Tax Evasion, and David Byrne, the only ones that made my facial muscles move.

I didn't find any of them remotely humorous. Not even worth voting.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

gnash wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:23 pm The entries that made the list are lamer each season. Also, my brazenly targeted attempt of "Amelia Bedelia and Thorsten Integrity" (for the Victoria and Albert Museum question) did not succeed.

I usually defend the Commish's sense of humor, but I can't really argue with you this time around. I thought maybe that was just the first half, but it looks like there's been just a couple more added from the last week. I voted David Byrne and then stopped. I may run through them again, just to be sure.

I expect "Emperor Bob" will win voting, since it was probably submitted by a bunch of people.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:13 pm

I didn't find any of them remotely humorous. Not even worth voting.
Same. Pretty poor.