Friday, May 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, May 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:37 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:15 am
Kenny wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:48 pm Anyone who says they went 5/5 on FJs this week is lying.
Spoiler
Journey, Mutant Ninja Turtles and Greek historians? Come on.
Well, I got all those but blew my perfect week right out of the gate by missing Monday's.

It didn't seem like a particularly difficult week for FJs to me. I bet the "got all five" percentage will be pretty high.
Journey broke a nearly six-week streak of FJ! misses for me, so by that standard it was not hard.
Looks like I was wrong. As of right now only 7% went 5/5 last week.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sun May 28, 2017 12:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:37 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:15 am
Kenny wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:48 pm Anyone who says they went 5/5 on FJs this week is lying.
Spoiler
Journey, Mutant Ninja Turtles and Greek historians? Come on.
Well, I got all those but blew my perfect week right out of the gate by missing Monday's.

It didn't seem like a particularly difficult week for FJs to me. I bet the "got all five" percentage will be pretty high.
Journey broke a nearly six-week streak of FJ! misses for me, so by that standard it was not hard.
Looks like I was wrong. As of right now only 7% went 5/5 last week.
Seems low. I would have thought a good 10 to 15% of us were liars.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

As someone who watched the first few seasons, I think The Apprentice should have gotten a BMS. As laid out (nicely) by jeff6286, I consider the celebrity version to be a variant present in some seasons, not a spinoff or a different series.

I believe Princess Diana is in the same category as the book titles Alice in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz: such a common error that ruling it incorrect is too pedantic, even for Jeopardy!
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

I've heard Britons say "Princess Di" all the time, so I'd be very shocked if the full spelling of that wasn't accepted.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:37 pm It could go either way and the Jeopardy! judges are correct when ruling on Jeopardy! clues by definition.
This is absurd. Everyone makes mistakes, and the Jeopardy! writers/judges are no exception. They correct themselves all the time, whether it's giving Alex a signal to accept an unexpected response, or going back later and changing a scoring decision either for or against a contestant. Even more rarely they have dropped something in post-taping to explain a bad call that they made, and there are plenty of errata noted in the Archive where they just flat out got something wrong with no correction.

You can feel free to say that their decision is the final word and therefore it will stand, but to say that they cannot be wrong is ridiculous.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 3:19 pm
Volante wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 10:34 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 7:27 pm Why did Apprentice -> Celebrity Apprentice not get a BMS?
The (Northern) Ireland Rule. (Why do I still have to reference this?...)
You're saying Northern Ireland is a spinoff of Ireland, with the same creator, host, production company, distributor, and theme music? I don't know what a definitive source on this matter should be, but Wikipedia calls Celebrity Apprentice "a variation of the Apprentice series", and even labels the seasons as such: "The Celebrity Apprentice 7 (also known as The Apprentice 14) is the seventh installment of the reality game show, Celebrity Apprentice"

IMDB agrees: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0364782/rel ... dt_dt#akas

Also Known As (AKA)
USA (thirteenth season title) All-Star Celebrity Apprentice
USA (seventh season title) Celebrity Apprentice
USA (second season title) The Apprentice 2
USA (sixth season title) The Apprentice Los Angeles
USA (eighth season title) The Celebrity Apprentice
USA (fourteenth season title) The Celebrity Apprentice
USA (fifteenth season title) The New Celebrity Apprentice

Whether Celebrity Apprentice is a spinoff of the Apprentice or simply a specific name for certain seasons seems a very murky issue, and with it being a top row clue, I absolutely think it would have been fair to give a "be more specific" in this case, or avoid the issue altogether by saying something like "Arnold Schwarzenegger in 2017 hosted a Celebrity version of this show"
Excellent post. And one thing jumps out at me at the end - the Schwarzenegger version was referred to as The New Celebrity Apprentice.
Wikipedia confirms with a screenshot that this title was used on air - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_C ... A_2016.jpg) Since "New" was not a required part of the correct response, the writers recognize that a new title does not necessarily mean a new show.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I'd have been fine with a BMS on The Apprentice, but I don't have a yuge problem with them not giving one. It seem to be a judgement call on the part of the judges. I wonder if they anticipated the issue and told Alex in advance not to give a BMS.

Nothing for me on FJ.