Beat Shazam

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Beat Shazam

Post by harrumph »

They play songs and you have to identify them before the other contestants do, they give you multiple choice except in the final round. The show debuted last night, they're repeating it on Fox tonight.

I had received an invite to try out for it, you need a partner as you work as a team, I tried to recruit a person younger than me to handle the relatively recent songs but the one person I felt comfortable inviting was shy about it (I work in a used record store). It was just as well as the show's debut was very top heavy with songs past my prime listening years, and I drew a blank on just about everything except for an Elton John category. But the show is reasonably watchable. It seems to have been recorded in the same studio that they shoot all the other splashy game shows in. The team that made it to the finals (with a pretty good payout) had a non-millennial fellow who really was quick with his knowledge of recent popular songs.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Beat Shazam

Post by billiej »

I have it recorded but haven't viewed it yet. I tried a few months ago to recruit a music savvy coworker into trying out with me. Unfortunately, although he's quite a bit younger than I, he's an old soul and isn't any more up on current music than I am. Glad to hear it's watchable, at least. I'll see if I feel I really missed out by not auditioning. :P
raccoonleaf
Contributor

Post by raccoonleaf »

I liked that the show was relatively fast-paced, the questions came from a wide variety of genres, and there's a good bit of challenge.
harrumph wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:17 pm I had received an invite to try out for it
How? I tried desperately to get an audition for Beat Shazam, but I got complete radio silence. I'm good at Jeopardy questions, but I'm great at naming songs. It's my only real talent. Now that I've seen the show, I'm even more sad. :cry:
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

raccoonleaf wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:52 pm I liked that the show was relatively fast-paced, the questions came from a wide variety of genres, and there's a good bit of challenge.
harrumph wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:17 pm I had received an invite to try out for it
How? I tried desperately to get an audition for Beat Shazam, but I got complete radio silence. I'm good at Jeopardy questions, but I'm great at naming songs. It's my only real talent. Now that I've seen the show, I'm even more sad. :cry:
Because I responded to a link that I found out about on this board about applying for the 500 Questions show, I got into the email loop where you sometimes receive links where you can apply for other shows
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

There was more music from the '60s - '80s than I expected, so the play along (as well as yell at the screen) factor exceeded my expectations. Jamie Foxx was given some leeway to work in humor like Steve Harvey on Feud, so there were some good laughs to along with the game play.

I liked the surprise guest joining the host and hostess for a segment and there being a themed round for his play list.

Fox would like my opinion of the show. I watched and I'll watch again. Fox would not like that I changed the channel at 9 and passed on Andy Cohen and the next show.
billiej

Post by billiej »

harrumph wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:10 pm
raccoonleaf wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:52 pm I liked that the show was relatively fast-paced, the questions came from a wide variety of genres, and there's a good bit of challenge.
Because I responded to a link that I found out about on this board about applying for the 500 Questions show, I got into the email loop where you sometimes receive links where you can apply for other shows
Same here.
billiej

Post by billiej »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 pm There was more music from the '60s - '80s than I expected, so the play along (as well as yell at the screen) factor exceeded my expectations. Jamie Foxx was given some leeway to work in humor like Steve Harvey on Feud, so there were some good laughs to along with the game play.

I liked the surprise guest joining the host and hostess for a segment and there being a themed round for his play list.

Fox would like my opinion of the show. I watched and I'll watch again. Fox would not like that I changed the channel at 9 and passed on Andy Cohen and the next show.
Awww, now I'm sad that I didn't at least try out after all. :lol:
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Fox missed a huge opportunity By not hiring Sinbad to host.

That said, most of the music I listen to is not popular enough to appear on this show in a million years.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

9021amyers wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:44 pm ...That said, most of the music I listen to is not popular enough to appear on this show in a million years.
Most of the music I listen to *was* popular enough for shows like this 75-100 years ago... :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got through about 15 minutes, not my cup of tea.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

I work with Matt, the younger half of the duo who made the final round in the first episode. And his dad was a J! chanp back in 2000, according to the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php ... sell+walks
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

9021amyers wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:44 pm Fox missed a huge opportunity By not hiring Sinbad to host.
*clap* Good one.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I was very disappointed to not be chosen for this show. A couple of years ago I was slated to be cast in another show by the same producers, but the network backed out. I thought my interviews went well this time around, but apparently not well enough. Last night confirmed my disappointment. Like the contestants, I couldn't pull
Spoiler
"Drive-By"
in time, but I got everything else right. Here's to hoping for a Season 2.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I watched the first episode just to see what it was like, expecting a lot of newer music I wasn't familiar with at all. I ended up liking it a lot (esp. the Terrence Howard's Playlist and Elton John rounds) and knowing much more of the recent music than I expected. I also managed to "I can name that tune in zero notes!"...
Spoiler
Toxic.
I liked that missing the final song wouldn't have resulted in the winning team leaving with nothing, but the genre "Pop" seemed way too general to risk losing half their potential money. I feel like they might have gone for it (with the dad answering) if it had been "'80s Pop" instead.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

dinghammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 am I watched the first episode just to see what it was like, expecting a lot of newer music I wasn't familiar with at all. I ended up liking it a lot (esp. the Terrence Howard's Playlist and Elton John rounds) and knowing much more of the recent music than I expected. I also managed to "I can name that tune in zero notes!"...
Spoiler
Toxic.
I liked that missing the final song wouldn't have resulted in the winning team leaving with nothing, but the genre "Pop" seemed way too general to risk losing half their potential money. I feel like they might have gone for it (with the dad answering) if it had been "'80s Pop" instead.
My DVR cut off the end (damn American DVR systems), what was that final song and would they have gotten it correct?

What I don't like about the end is having to risk the money won. At least it's only half the money won, but I still don't like it. Even more, I don't like how only one of the two players gets to answer. The worst part is the overall vagueness of the category, and until someone tells me what that last song was, I would expect something as obscure as can be.

Game shows don't need a million dollar prize for people to watch, and many of them can give away far more money than they do and still be profitable, The Wall is proving that. But this dangling an unattainable carrot is annoying and often makes me want to tune out.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:00 am
dinghammer wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 1:40 am I watched the first episode just to see what it was like, expecting a lot of newer music I wasn't familiar with at all. I ended up liking it a lot (esp. the Terrence Howard's Playlist and Elton John rounds) and knowing much more of the recent music than I expected. I also managed to "I can name that tune in zero notes!"...
Spoiler
Toxic.
My DVR cut off the end (damn American DVR systems), what was that final song and would they have gotten it correct?

What I don't like about the end is having to risk the money won. At least it's only half the money won, but I still don't like it. Even more, I don't like how only one of the two players gets to answer. The worst part is the overall vagueness of the category, and until someone tells me what that last song was, I would expect something as obscure as can be.

Game shows don't need a million dollar prize for people to watch, and many of them can give away far more money than they do and still be profitable, The Wall is proving that. But this dangling an unattainable carrot is annoying and often makes me want to tune out.
The final song was "Smooth Operator" by Sade - and yes, they would have gotten it correct.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:00 am ...Game shows don't need a million dollar prize for people to watch, and many of them can give away far more money than they do and still be profitable, The Wall is proving that. But this dangling an unattainable carrot is annoying and often makes me want to tune out.
I saw Jamie Foxx on Live with Kelly and Ryan and he said you are incorrect about the unattainable carrot. So tune in (he did not spoil which team does it) and one of these weeks there will be a good game show moment.

The Wall will never give away $12M as that won't happen. Seeing the recent Plinko clip that went viral this week showed how dinky that TPIR game looks now compared to the NBC version.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:13 am
triviawayne wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 9:00 am ...Game shows don't need a million dollar prize for people to watch, and many of them can give away far more money than they do and still be profitable, The Wall is proving that. But this dangling an unattainable carrot is annoying and often makes me want to tune out.
I saw Jamie Foxx on Live with Kelly and Ryan and he said you are incorrect about the unattainable carrot. So tune in (he did not spoil which team does it) and one of these weeks there will be a good game show moment.

The Wall will never give away $12M as that won't happen. Seeing the recent Plinko clip that went viral this week showed how dinky that TPIR game looks now compared to the NBC version.
Once does not equal attainable (especially when done early in a show's run to pump up ratings and get a 2nd season), or you may as well say WWTBAM is attainable.

yes, $12m for the wall is not possible, that is blatantly obvious; however, they are giving away hundreds of thousands on almost every show and several times gave away over $1million.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 11:54 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 10:13 am

Once does not equal attainable (especially when done early in a show's run to pump up ratings and get a 2nd season), or you may as well say WWTBAM is attainable.

yes, $12m for the wall is not possible, that is blatantly obvious; however, they are giving away hundreds of thousands on almost every show and several times gave away over $1million.
I have no idea if they are airing these episodes in order, so don't know if this one was intentionally placed first or not, but based on the main game I didn't think that any of these 3 teams seemed particularly good, as there were wrong answers all over the place throughout the first 3 rounds. Yet in the final round, the winning duo nailed 5 of the 6 songs with relative ease, so winning the million seemed well within their grasp. Yet somehow, without even seeing the final question, you're able to claim that the million is "unattainable"?
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

I am not a music person but I enjoyed the gameplay

What I did not enjoy was Jamie Foxx and his nonsense.

Turrible Host :evil: :evil: