Monday, May 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, May 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Wheatley »

Where does the "Mathematician" come into play in "Alice in Wonderland?"
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

cinemaniax7 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:By risking a lock in a different game?
A remarkably reckless wager by an otherwise strong player
My guess is he just lost his focus on the situation.
Either way, if I were Megan, I'd be half tempted to wager everything on FJ, in case he makes another mistake.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 9:55 pmFun fact: What is called the Apocrypha by Protestants is called the Deuterocanon by Catholics.
Piggybacking on that, the deutero- prefix is from the Greek word for "second." I.e. it's a canonical book, just part of the second canon. And the name of the book of Deuteronomy means "second law". I.e. it's a second scriptural telling of the story of God giving his law to/through Moses.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:44 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:27 pm
I know the song goes "Rocky Top, Tennessee", and even sang that out loud, but still didn't think to guess "Tennessee" on the clue. Derp.
Instinctively let out the "Woo!" from the fight song. Admittedly, it is catchy.
Yeah, I'm a Gator and even I like Rocky Top.
davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 pm Where does the "Mathematician" come into play in "Alice in Wonderland?"
Here's one article about it-
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... nd-solved/
Not that it matters. To solve the clue, you just need to know that he WAS a mathematician, and as it was pointed out earlier, that's a J! staple.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm The TV FUNNY GUYS stumper with William Frawley only mentioned Lucy, so I would think just Fred would have been accepted.
I assume that first names are always acceptable for fictional characters. Have there ever been rulings indicating otherwise?
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37 right.

Classic (3), TV (4), Rocky (4), Orange (2), "Black" (3), Planet (4)
Tunes (4), Pairs (2), Painters (2), Lakes (3), Logo (2), Arlington (4)

Lach Trash: Fred Mertz

Even though the clue was referring to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, when I saw "humorist and as a limerist", it made me think of Jabberwocky first. Not the same work, but got it right with the same author.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

davey wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:55 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm The TV FUNNY GUYS stumper with William Frawley only mentioned Lucy, so I would think just Fred would have been accepted.
I assume that first names are always acceptable for fictional characters. Have there ever been rulings indicating otherwise?
There was a ruling otherwise in this game.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,600
47 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Fred Mertz

DDWTF? We former attorneys have to stick together, but it was hard to not root for that colossal blunder to be punished.

Am I the only one who, following the Michael Scott clue, answered the Benihana one as "What is Asian Hooters?"
Sprinkles are for winners.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm The TV FUNNY GUYS stumper with William Frawley only mentioned Lucy, so I would think just Fred would have been accepted. Did the players not even know that much or was recalling Mertz and thinking that was required the problem? Of course they have no problem with all things Office, Seinfeld and Community. Young people.
I said Fred, and threw in 'Mertz' right before the time's up signal...as I usually do just in case I feel they'd want me to be more specific. All the more proof of how I believe I was born fifty years too late (despite being quite at home with today's technology)...I can't stand The Office, Community, and most other 'young person' shows even though I'm certainly deep in their demographic. That said, I not only groaned at what was basically 'Name The Office quoter!' being way undervalued, but also noted that 'Larry David' was overvalued AND should have changed places with The Office clue.

BTW, given that it's almost thirty years old, I don't consider Seinfeld 'a young person's show'...but then again, I certainly am a fan considering how much I tend to quote/reference it. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Anyways, INSTAGET FJ...I am a massive fan of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass, so there was no way I was missing Mr. Caroll/Dodgson.

Ran What's That Planet and The New "Black"; and almost ran The Classics (including the David Copperfield DD, but got snowed by Steinbeck), A "Rocky" Category (said Graziano instead of Marciano), Oranges (got crushed by Bergamot), TV Funny Guys (including the aforementioned Fred Mertz LT, but razzin' frazzin' Office...), Finger Snapping Tunes (got crowned by "Royals"), and States' Largest Lakes (including the Sam Rayburn Lake/Texas DD, but got Klamathed by Upper Klamath Lake/Oregon...WAY UNDERVALUED IMO).
Last edited by Maven on Tue May 30, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:14 pm
Thanks, I didn't remember that and I'll have to keep it in mind. But it strikes me as a very bad ruling, especially with the TV show in the response. The name still lacks its iconic specificity without the P. so maybe Andy should have been ruled against too... :roll:
Steppenwolf
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Steppenwolf »

Maven wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:37 pm Anyways, INSTAGET FJ...I am a massive fan of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass, so there was no way I was missing Mr. Caroll/Dodgeson.
Mr. Carroll/Dodgson
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Steppenwolf wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 12:08 am
Maven wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:37 pm Anyways, INSTAGET FJ...I am a massive fan of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass, so there was no way I was missing Mr. Caroll/Dodgeson.
Mr. Carroll/Dodgson
Most dutifully corrected (and yes, as I should have AND meant to spell it)...thank you. Tis the curse of multitasking while doing my posts.

P.S. I really, REALLY dig your name. :geek: With such utmost deliciously retro and classic taste, you better watch it with me... ;)
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:14 pm
The FJ in the game the day before this one was a clue in today's game.

I was ready to write these three off when Fred Mertz was a TS, but they did redeem their old TV chops by getting The Addams Family and black gold.

Jon's DD bet was pretty bad, but apparently the J! gods didn't care as they gave him a very simple clue. Really? What state has a lake named for Sam Rayburn? And it is bottom row and they make it a DD?

Instaget FJ.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

davey wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:47 pm
Wheatley wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:08 pm Where does the "Mathematician" come into play in "Alice in Wonderland?"
Not that it matters. To solve the clue, you just need to know that he WAS a mathematician, and as it was pointed out earlier, that's a J! staple.
. This in general feels like a good one to remember if the nuber of British 19th centry authors are as finite as Alex said
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 pm Ouch. I don't get to check the box for Monday. I confidently came up with "What is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?" and hummed along with the think music until time ran out. I hope in a game situation, with money on the line, I'd have re-read the friggin' clue and looked for the word "this".
I did the same thing. Except I read the clue again and realized they wanted Carroll.

Have they ever negged "Alice in Wonderland"?
davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:46 am
davey wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 10:47 pm
. This in general feels like a good one to remember if the nuber of British 19th centry authors are as finite as Alex said
The only other reasonable guess for this clue I can think of is Edward Lear, the nonsense and limerick writer. I don't know anything else about his life, so I considered him for a moment. But, yes, "mathematician" led me solidly to Dodgson.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

DBear wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm instaget FJ. But if you ask me for a famous airborne division, I'll say the 101st every time. Don't know how one would get 82nd without knowing. :?
Both the 101st and 82nd took part in the Normandy invasion, so it was a coin flip for me.
Jon's get on the rebound amounted to a $6,000 swing that broke open what had been a competitive game.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I feel dumb because I identified the right author but replied with the book instead. RTFQ, man.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I missed Jeopardy! for a chance to play some Ultimate Frisbee. Did they have any JFK clues since yesterday was the centennial of his birth?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!