Monday, May 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 29, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY BRITISH AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Cliffs Notes says a book by this man “was the work of a mathematician and logician who wrote as both a humorist and as a limerist”

Jon Groubert: 32200+3000=35200 (3x = $76,191)
Emily Hollins: 5600-5600=0
Megan Clair: 11400-0=11400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lewis Carroll (Emily – Wilde) (Megan – Swift)

Daily Doubles
Jon: 3600+3600
Jon: 13800+3000
Jon: 27200+5000

Coryats
Jon: 24600
Emily: 5600
Megan: 11400

Combined: 41,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The TV FUNNY GUYS stumper with William Frawley only mentioned Lucy, so I would think just Fred would have been accepted. Did the players not even know that much or was recalling Mertz and thinking that was required the problem? Of course they have no problem with all things Office, Seinfeld and Community. Young people.

Clue 30 of the DJ! round was a DD. The scores were:
Jon: 27200

Jon bet $5,000. That’s $5,000 with three zeroes.

Jon, you have been charged with negligent wagering. How do you plead?

J! likes the math connection to Lewis Carroll, so a gift clue to start the week.

#6066, aired 2011-01-17 CHILDREN'S LITERATURE $1000: As well as kids' books, this 19th century author wrote "Examples in Arithmetic" & other math textbooks
#5839, aired 2010-01-21 VICTORIAN NOVELISTS $800: While creating Alice in Wonderland, he was serving as a math lecturer
#4812, aired 2005-07-05 AUTHORS $2,000 (Daily Double): This 19th century English author also wrote the books "Curiosa Mathematica" & "Symbolic Logic"
#3624, aired 2000-05-11 BRIEF BIOS $200: Born in Cheshire in 1832, studied at Oxford, wrote on math & snarks
#3590, aired 2000-03-24 AUTHORS $200: In addition to his "Alice" books, he wrote many math works including "Euclid and His Modern Rivals"

In regular play has there really been no 3/3 solve of the FJ! clue since Les Miz on March 30th? And the teachers only had 1 in their 10 games. Wow, just wow.

Early alert for viewers in the West that get J! on an ABC station. Thursday the 1st begins the NBA Finals, so no J! at 7 or 7:30. Games 2 – 7 are scheduled for:
Spoiler
Sunday the 4th
Wednesday the 7th
Friday the 9th
Monday the 12th
Thursday the 15th
Sunday the 18th
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm The TV FUNNY GUYS stumper with William Frawley only mentioned Lucy, so I would think just Fred would have been accepted. Did the players not even know that much or was recalling Mertz and thinking that was required the problem? Of course they have no problem with all things Office, Seinfeld and Community. Young people.

J! likes the math connection to Lewis Carroll, so a gift clue to start the week.

#6066, aired 2011-01-17 CHILDREN'S LITERATURE $1000: As well as kids' books, this 19th century author wrote "Examples in Arithmetic" & other math textbooks
#5839, aired 2010-01-21 VICTORIAN NOVELISTS $800: While creating Alice in Wonderland, he was serving as a math lecturer
#4812, aired 2005-07-05 AUTHORS $2,000 (Daily Double): This 19th century English author also wrote the books "Curiosa Mathematica" & "Symbolic Logic"
#3624, aired 2000-05-11 BRIEF BIOS $200: Born in Cheshire in 1832, studied at Oxford, wrote on math & snarks
#3590, aired 2000-03-24 AUTHORS $200: In addition to his "Alice" books, he wrote many math works including "Euclid and His Modern Rivals"

In regular play has there really been no 3/3 solve of the FJ! clue since Les Miz on March 30th? And the teachers only had 1 in their 10 games. Wow, just wow.

Early alert for viewers in the West that get J! on an ABC station. Thursday the 1st begins the NBA Finals, so no J! at 7 or 7:30. Games 2 – 7 are scheduled for:
Spoiler
Sunday the 4th
Wednesday the 7th
Friday the 9th
Monday the 12th
Thursday the 15th
Sunday the 18th
Perhaps Jon went the extra mile with his wager because he had a couple lackluster DDs in his two games and wanted to make up for that.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:51 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm Clue 30 of the DJ! round was a DD. The scores were:

Perhaps Jon went the extra mile with his wager because he had a couple lackluster DDs in his two games and wanted to make up for that.
By risking a lock in a different game?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

dhkendall wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 6:01 pmBy risking a lock in a different game?
A remarkably reckless wager by an otherwise strong player
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What the fock was that DD bet? Jon had a runaway at that point. If he blew it, Meghan then had a chance to win.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I went 0/5 in Planets. So I'm supposed to know how big 89,000 miles is? Or how big Venus's year is?

NHO Michael Scott.

WLT "diamonds" at $200?

I know the song goes "Rocky Top, Tennessee", and even sang that out loud, but still didn't think to guess "Tennessee" on the clue. Derp.

"Royals" was my only miss in Finger Snapping.

That Ballerinas clue (Painters for $400) struck me as extremely obscure. How was that known?

WLT Oregon at $400?

Mathematician led me right to Lewis Carroll.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 4:38 pm The TV FUNNY GUYS stumper with William Frawley only mentioned Lucy, so I would think just Fred would have been accepted. Did the players not even know that much or was recalling Mertz and thinking that was required the problem? Of course they have no problem with all things Office, Seinfeld and Community. Young people.
Damn shame. Did none of them watch I Love Lucy reruns as a kid? 4/5 here, I've probably heard the name Jim Gaffigan before, but his face didn't ring any bells.

The jury finds him guilty in absentia. I couldn't believe my ears...

...but then mathematician + British author went 1/3, so I guess he had nothing to worry about :shock:

One 3/3 in two months? That can't be right...*checks*...yikes.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:32 pm
Damn shame. Did none of them watch I Love Lucy reruns as a kid? 4/5 here, I've probably heard the name Jim Gaffigan before, but his face didn't ring any bells.
Two words: Hot Pockets.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

One 3/3 in two months? That can't be right...*checks*...yikes.
Just checked. It is the truth.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:27 pm
I know the song goes "Rocky Top, Tennessee", and even sang that out loud, but still didn't think to guess "Tennessee" on the clue. Derp.
Instinctively let out the "Woo!" from the fight song. Admittedly, it is catchy.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ouch. I don't get to check the box for Monday. I confidently came up with "What is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland?" and hummed along with the think music until time ran out. I hope in a game situation, with money on the line, I'd have re-read the friggin' clue and looked for the word "this".

I too am curious to hear Jon's thoughts on jeopardizing his lock game with that final DD wager. Bad math? Or is it finally legitimately time to break out the h-word? :D Either way, congrats to Jon for a commanding performance.

I'm surprised the writers requested a Biblical book and wanted Judith. I might have clammed on that one. I knew it was Judith, but I also knew the writers don't call Judith a book of the Bible without qualification. (C.f. e.g. the $600 clue in LET'S GET BIBLICAL in this game.) So I wondered if I was missing something crucial.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

badgerfellow wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:40 pm
Two words: Hot Pockets.
And more recently he made the following awesome tweet:

Me to my son: You remind me of me.
Son: That's just mean.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

instaget FJ. But if you ask me for a famous airborne division, I'll say the 101st every time. Don't know how one would get 82nd without knowing. :?
[edit] agree with Opus about Judith. Terrible clue IMO. [/edit]
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:08 pm
I'm surprised the writers requested a Biblical book and wanted Judith. I might have clammed on that one. I knew it was Judith, but I also knew the writers don't call Judith a book of the Bible without qualification. (C.f. e.g. the $600 clue in LET'S GET BIBLICAL in this game.) So I wondered if I was missing something crucial.
Did they ask for a book, or the person? Unless it's part of the Apocrypha or something similar, I've never heard of a Bible book with that title. I have, however, seen various paintings of Judith and Holofernes, which is how I knew that one. It's bloody enough to make for a dramatic painting but still on a religious theme, satisfying the righteous.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Judith is part of the Apocrypha.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

nlw44 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:43 pm
Did they ask for a book, or the person? Unless it's part of the Apocrypha or something similar, I've never heard of a Bible book with that title. I have, however, seen various paintings of Judith and Holofernes, which is how I knew that one. It's bloody enough to make for a dramatic painting but still on a religious theme, satisfying the righteous.
Right. Judith is part of the Apocrypha. It's considered a Biblical book by Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox but not by Protestants or Jews. Jeopardy! has previously avoided calling it a book of the Bible. That's what made the clue so strange:

BAROQUE ARTIST ARTEMISIA GENTILESCHI WENT BIBLICAL, SHOWING THIS BIBLE BOOK GAL GRUESOMELY KILLING HOLOFERNES.

So they asked for the person, but described the book that talks about her as a "Bible book". As I say, I might have clammed out of confusion. I initially wondered if they were talking about Jael, wife of Heber from the book of Judges. Her killing of Sisera was also depictect by Gentileschi in a different painting.

Judith Slaying Holofernes

Jael and Sisera
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

nlw44 wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 8:43 pm
Judith and Holofernes have shown up 3 times before in the archive, but this was the first time the Book of Judith was referenced.

Fun fact: What is called the Apocrypha by Protestants is called the Deuterocanon by Catholics.