May 30 2017, Adult Online Contestant Test Discussion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Re: May 30 2017, Adult Online Contestant Test Discussion

Post by Tybalteon »

Didn't take it for real today, but I got 43 here! There seemed to be a lot more literature questions on this test than usual.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

I got 41, taking it off the video on youtube, since I am in the pool so can't take it for real.
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Bartleby »

Tybalteon wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 12:11 am Didn't take it for real today, but I got 43 here! There seemed to be a lot more literature questions on this test than usual.
It was decidedly lit heavy with almost one fifth of the questions (nine) being book related:

1. Edgar Allan Poe
9. Becky Thatcher
14. Hillbilly Elegy
20. James Fenimore Cooper
23. The Great Gatsby
27. Henrietta Lacks
35. To Kill a Mockingbird
45. The Underground Railroad
49. Oliver Twist
I would prefer not to.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I usually take the online test on the first day, but I had family business to attend to. Maybe I can take tomorrow's test.

Had 42 correct, and one possibly correct (I answered "Cooper" instead of "James Cooper"). Missed modifier, Henrietta Lacks (who's come up in Jeopardy before), Monet instead of Manet (I know, "a" comes before "o"), Black Lives Matter (the name "Garza" threw me), Zayn instead of Harry Styles (who was recently on SNL), Adonis instead of Apollo, and "Pokemon" without the "Go".

I'm happy with my score, considering that I had only three hours' of sleep the night before.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

40 for me, with unfortunate changes from Harry to Zayn and Farragut to Perry.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 1:18 am I usually take the online test on the first day, but I had family business to attend to. Maybe I can take tomorrow's test.

Had 42 correct, and one possibly correct (I answered "Cooper" instead of "James Cooper"). Missed modifier, Henrietta Lacks (who's come up Jeopardy before), Monet instead of Manet (I know, "a" comes before "o"), Black Lives Matter (the name "Garza" threw me), Zayn instead of Harry Styles (who was recently on SNL), Adonis instead of Apollo, and "Pokemon" without the "Go".
Count Cooper for sure. I included James in the answer set to make it easier to recall the question.
earendel

Post by earendel »

earendel wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 8:26 pm I think I may have scored 40. Missed questions included the J.D. Vance book, the One Direction singer, the Google game, capital of Ukraine, book about events in some town in Alabama.
After looking at the answers I actually scraped a 42.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm officially going to take the Wednesday test, but I think I would've had 39-42 depending on what would've popped into my mind in time. I'm so embarrassed that I thought the big lake in Nicaragua was called Lake Managua.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

I got 40 taking it on Youtube-- solid improvement since my 29 or so that I got in October, and around what I expected given where my Coryat's at these days (low 20s). I'm not planning on taking the test for real for another year or two though. Focusing on getting good first.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

rpg wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 7:02 am I got 40 taking it on Youtube-- solid improvement since my 29 or so that I got in October, and around what I expected given where my Coryat's at these days (low 20s). I'm not planning on taking the test for real for another year or two though. Focusing on getting good first.
That's your call but given the tough odds of making it to the audition round, I'd say take the test every opportunity you get. I've been acing the test for a while but still haven't been invited to audition
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed May 31, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 6:58 am I'm so embarrassed that I thought the big lake in Nicaragua was called Lake Managua.
Make my score 46, not 47. I didn't even notice I missed that one, since Lake Nicaragua doesn't ring a bell the way Lake Managua does. Lake Managua is a big lake in Nicaragua, but apparently not the biggest one.
oduguy22
Swimming with the Jeopardy! Fishes

Post by oduguy22 »

I am taking the test today for real, but my score yesterday was 32, i knew Adriatic, but Aegean was all that i could come up with, and i can never remember Becky Thatcher to save my life, and i initially thought Maria Theresa was Austria, but changed my mind at the last second to Spain. I thought the test was pretty good. There were others i should have gotten, but just blanked a little too long.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 8:10 am
rpg wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 7:02 am I got 40 taking it on Youtube-- solid improvement since my 29 or so that I got in October, and around what I expected given where my Coryat's at these days (low 20s). I'm not planning on taking the test for real for another year or two though. Focusing on getting good first.
That's your call but given the tough of odds of making it to the audition round, I'd say take the test every opportunity you get. I've been acing the test for a while but still haven't been invited to audition
What he said. It's your life, but I can't think of any good reason not to take the test for real, especially when you had a comfortable margin over 35 on this test. I don't know if you can still sign up for this time, but if you can, you should go for it. You can thank us when you are on next year. :)
Robbo
Contributor

Post by Robbo »

In regards to #13 regarding the 8-letter word - wouldn't "metaphor" be a better answer? I think it fits better with the "mixed" part of the clue.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

seaborgium wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 11:11 pm
swale wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 11:05 pm I'm pretty sure the hybrid Chevy is the Spark instead of a the Volt. The Volt is fully electric and not a hybrid.
The 2017 Volt offers the best of both worlds with an electric charge that seamlessly switches to a gasoline-powered generator when your charge runs out.
http://www.chevrolet.com/electric-hybrid-vehicles
Sounds like a hybrid to me.
As an owner of a 2013 Volt, I can tell you it is technically categorized as an EREV (extended range electric vehicle). As noted elsewhere, the first gen Volt has a 9-gallon tank (I believe the new model starting in 2017 has a larger tank). Driver can switch between electric and gas engine propelled driving at any time. I had a 50-mile round trip commute for four years on the Volt and routinely charged enough during work hours to rarely need gas, as it ran about 30-40 miles on a charge. A great vehicle. My practice test last night however...not so great. I think I pulled about a 30, will need to do better tonight as I hope to get test taken then.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

31 for me. Pop culture, contemporary literature, and current events are usually what get me on the tests, and this one felt even heavier and harder in those regards than in years past. The academic categories felt even easier than usual on this test, but I could be biased since those are my strong categories.

I was going to take this one for real but my Internet connection failed me. I can't take tonight's or tomorrow night's test since I have to work, so I'm out of luck for this year.
davey

Post by davey »

Robbo wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:40 am In regards to #13 regarding the 8-letter word - wouldn't "metaphor" be a better answer? I think it fits better with the "mixed" part of the clue.
A metaphor doesn't "qualify" a word or phrase - that is change or modify it - it stands in place of a literal thing.
The clue referred to "misplaced" modifiers, not mixed.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Robbo wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:40 am In regards to #13 regarding the 8-letter word - wouldn't "metaphor" be a better answer? I think it fits better with the "mixed" part of the clue.
the clue said "misplaced," not mixed. Modifier is the best answer.
gjbrault

Post by gjbrault »

I'm curious, how does it know if you are "taking it for real" or not? Is it simply just your first attempt? I took it yesterday but I don't remember clicking anywhere that said "this one's for real!".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I got either a 45 or 46 taking it off of sherder's video, so count me among those who found it easier (and lighter on pop culture than the norm). The ambiguity consists in not knowing whether "Becky" would have been accepted for #9. It was a rocky start for me, as I clammed on #2 (unicorn) and stupidly put Interior for Homeland Security on #5. That was partially balanced by good WAGs on Flag Day and Sarah and sticking with my gut on #3 (was tempted by Blue Whale for Megaptera) and #28.