What is wrong with Ken Jennings?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: What is wrong with Ken Jennings?

Post by OSXpert »

I agree that people should be nice to 11 year olds.

Doing things like tweeting jokes about them or trying to make sure that the world is more polluted by the time they become adults is completely uncalled for.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Nice to see plenty of Ken Jennings die-hards answer the challenge to defend him laughing at an 11 year-old who just saw an image of his father's bloody, severed head. Who Jennings implied was an idiot/mentally challenged to be upset by it.

However, I'm disappointed that no one has answered the challenge to defend Jennings' mockery of the disabled as pathetic/subhuman;

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 5426071553

Or him finding rape to be funny;

https://twitter.com/KenJennings/status/ ... 4275441664

Clearly, the Ken defenders are slipping here. Tell us more about how he is just a "socially inept nerd" and secretly an awesome, swell guy because he won a bunch of money on a game show.

Otherwise, you can't call yourself a true Ken Jennings fan.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

IronNeck wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:28 pm Nice to see plenty of Ken Jennings die-hards answer the challenge to defend him laughing at an 11 year-old who just saw an image of his father's bloody, severed head. Who Jennings implied was an idiot/mentally challenged to be upset by it.

However, I'm disappointed that no one has answered the challenge to defend Jennings' mockery of the disabled as pathetic/subhuman;

Clearly, the Ken defenders are slipping here. Tell us more about how he is just a "socially inept nerd" and secretly an awesome, swell guy because he won a bunch of money on a game show.

Deja vu? I'm pretty sure some Very Important Poster already used these same links on page 1 of this thread.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:06 am Deja vu? I'm pretty sure some Very Important Poster already used these same links on page 1 of this thread.
Ergo why I'm so disappointed the Ken defenders who have posted multiple times since then haven't defended those Tweets, too.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

IronNeck wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:09 am
jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:06 am Deja vu? I'm pretty sure some Very Important Poster already used these same links on page 1 of this thread.
Ergo why I'm so disappointed the Ken defenders who have posted multiple times since then haven't defended those Tweets, too.
Keep fighting the good fight, buddy.
EleJiggle
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by EleJiggle »

Ken's tweets pissed off both the Trump supporters and the SJWs it seems.

You guys need to stop being by offended by harmless tweets.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:06 am
IronNeck wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:28 pm Nice to see plenty of Ken Jennings die-hards answer the challenge to defend him laughing at an 11 year-old who just saw an image of his father's bloody, severed head. Who Jennings implied was an idiot/mentally challenged to be upset by it.

Deja vu? I'm pretty sure some Very Important Poster already used these same links on page 1 of this thread.
But with the links in the opposite order (yet the descriptions in the same order as above).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If you can't understand how that post wasn't making fun of the 11 year old, any argument I make will be lost on you. I'll leave it at "Sometimes jokes involve saying things one doesn't actually mean."

P.S. I don't think he's a socially inept nerd.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

He makes jokes in poor taste sometimes, like all people. But he's famous, so they get noticed more. And it's on Twitter, which is designed for virulence and snark.

Oh, is this the exercise where all fans of X have to line up and gatekeep their hobby because somebody was offended? Thanks, but I'd rather enjoy my trivia.
lindap
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by lindap »

EleJiggle wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:35 am Ken's tweets pissed off both the Trump supporters and the SJWs it seems.

You guys need to stop being by offended by harmless tweets.
Why would single, Jewish women be pissed off? I'm assuming that's what you meant, as I can't imagine why someone would use their very first post to insult people with the pejorative "Social Justice Warrior(s)"http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... %20warrior
BobF

Post by BobF »

DysonSphere wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:40 am Oh, is this the exercise where all fans of X have to line up and gatekeep their hobby because somebody was offended? Thanks, but I'd rather enjoy my trivia.
I know, right? It's like in political discussions, a Democrat challenging a Republican to defend Trump's "pussy grabbing" statement or a Republican challenging a Democrat to defend Obama's "Special Olympics" joke. Sometimes smart people say stupid things. Let them apologize and let the stupid thing just die.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If any of the board's PTB has ever considered creating a board for off-topic/political discussions, please read this thread until that idea leaves your head.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:44 am If any of the board's PTB has ever considered creating a board for off-topic/political discussions, please read this thread until that idea leaves your head.
I'm not sure what you mean by this.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

I think he means that this discussion is not very fruitful and that we should discourage discussions of a similar type.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mennoknight wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:20 am I think he means that this discussion is not very fruitful and that we should discourage discussions of a similar type.
Pretty much. There are plenty of places where you can go to discuss current events and rant to your heart's content about various issues. Let's just talk about Jeopardy! here.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:00 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 5:37 pm To answer OP:

Nothing is wrong with Ken Jennings.

Though I might surmise that the OP might be worried about being lumped in with the Trump Train on this one.
I'm not completely a Trump supporter, but the fact that people are standing up for Kathy Griffin is completely disgusting.
It depends on what you mean by "standing up for Kathy Griffin." She did a dumb thing and she apologized. The market will decide whether she has a career after it, but she's right to point out the inherent sexism in how she'll be perceived from here out. As she notes, Ted Nugent made jokes (if they were jokes) about killing Obama and Trump invited him to a photo shoot in the Oval Office, calling into question any moral authority Trump has to act offended. If anything, Trump then compounded Griffin's error by bringing Barron into the discussion; if you don't want people talking about your kid(s), don't be the one to bring them up.

Ultimately, Ken Jennings found fame through Jeopardy and people can pay attention to him - or not.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

BobF wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:14 am
DysonSphere wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:40 am Oh, is this the exercise where all fans of X have to line up and gatekeep their hobby because somebody was offended? Thanks, but I'd rather enjoy my trivia.
I know, right? It's like in political discussions, a Democrat challenging a Republican to defend Trump's "pussy grabbing" statement or a Republican challenging a Democrat to defend Obama's "Special Olympics" joke. Sometimes smart people say stupid things. Let them apologize and let the stupid thing just die.
Unfortunately Ms. Griffin has not let the stupid thing die. She is now trying to claim that she is the victim.

Also, there is nothing political about this. Ken Jennings is famous in Jeopardy! lore. If you don't like the topic, don't read this. It really is simple.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:43 pm
cf1140 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:08 pm Jennings and Chu are both banned from supertournaments forever.
Cite? Or just stating what you think should happen?
You know, they should as well ban Brad Rutter as well. Let the other champs have a shot towards big money fame...
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
brick

Post by brick »

I thought that was funny.
I will kill as many white rhinos as it takes to prove my masculinity to Donald Trump Jr.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:03 pm Aw, man, where is that "like" button
Seriously, I do still think that this would be a good idea for this forum.