May 31 2017, Adult Online Contestant Test Discussion (Central)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: May 31 2017, Adult Online Contestant Test Discussion (Central)

Post by Woof »

Crap. 47 today, missing YUM! , Superstore and Plug and Play. Tomorrow's I'll take for real and will probably get a 31 :(
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

As ever, for anyone who would like a transcript, here you go.
Spoiler
MAY 31 2012 ONLINE TEST

1 – AUTOBIOGRAPHIES
THIS RELIGIOUS LEADER’S 1990 AUTOBIOGRAPHY IS “FREEDOM IN EXILE”

2 – RHYME TIME
CLINTON VEEP’S DUTIES

3 – CHEMISTRY
THESE, LIKE IONIC OR COVALENT, LINK ATOMS TO FORM MOLECULES

4 – MONARCHS
THE BROTHER OF KING RICHARD, THE LIONHEARTED, HE SEALED HIS NAME ON THE MAGNA CARTA

5 – BUSINESS
PIZZA HUT, KFC & TACO BELL ARE PART OF THIS BRAND THAT USES AN EXCLAMATION POINT

6 – SMALL COUNTRIES
THE GRIMALDI FAMILY BEGAN RULING THIS PRINCIPALITY IN 1297

7 – BIBLE HEROES
IN THE BOOK OF JUDGES THIS MAN KILLS A LION WITH HIS BARE HANDS

8 – GOVERNMENT
THIS FORMER SOUTH CAROLINA GOVERNOR IS THE CURRENT U.S. AMBASSADOR TO THE U.N.

9 – STEPHEN KING
THIS STEPHEN KING BOOK IS SUBTITLED “A NOVEL OF A GIRL WITH A FRIGHTENING POWER”

10 – ORANGE STUFF
THE ORANGE FREE STATE WAS ONE OF THE 4 TRADITIONAL PROVINCES OF THIS COUNTRY

11 – 2016 MOVIES
CASEY AFFLECK PLAYED A SAD JANITOR IN THIS FILM

12 – U.S. PRESIDENTS
“THE BUCK STOPS HERE” WAS THE MOTTO OF THIS PRESIDENT FROM MISSOURI

13 – ACRONYMS
IT’S THE 6-LETTER ACRONYM FOR THE HIGHEST COURT IN AMERICA

14 – POETRY
“NORTH OF BOSTON” WAS A 1914 COLLECTION OF POEMS BY THIS CHRONICLER OF RURAL NEW ENGLAND

15 – ISLAND NATIONS
THIS ARAB ISLAND NATION IS ACTUALLY MADE UP OF MORE THAN 30 ISLANDS IN THE PERSIAN GULF

16 – ANATOMY
THE RESEMBLANCE OF A HUMAN HEART VALVE TO A BISHOP’S HAT GIVES IT THIS NAME

17 – CLASSICAL MUSIC
BORN NEAR WARSAW, AT AGE 7 HE WROTE “POLONAISE IN G MINOR”

18 – POLITICAL PARTIES
LIKUD IS A MAJOR POLITICAL PARTY IN THIS COUNTRY

19 – MUSIC
HIS NO. 1 ALBUMS INCLUDE “VIEWS”, ABOUT HIS HOMETOWN OF TORONTO, & “MORE LIFE”, FROM 2017

20 – 21ST CENTURY FICTION
DONNA TARTT WON A PULITZER FOR THIS NOVEL ABOUT A PAINTING OF A BIRD

21 – STATE CAPITALS
IT’S THE CAPITAL OF PENNSYLVANIA

22 – MAGAZINES
FOUNDED IN 1888, THIS WORLD-SPANNING MAGAZINE WAS ACQUIRED BY FOX IN 2015

23 – CHILDREN’S LITERATURE
HE’S THE COBRA-SLAYING MONGOOSE IN “THE JUNGLE BOOK”

24 – FOOD
ITALIAN PASTA MADE CARBONARA STYLE TRADITIONALLY GETS BITS OF THIS TYPE OF MEAT

25 – LANDMARKS
STILL IN BUSINESS, THIS LEGENDARY HARLEM THEATRE OPENED AS A BURLESQUE HOUSE IN 1914

26 – HOMOPHONES
A TIME OF DAY OR A TIME OF SADNESS

27 – CHARACTERS IN MUSICALS
IN “MY FAIR LADY”, THIS CHARACTER IS THE MODERN COUNTERPART OF THE LEGENDARY SCULPTOR PYGMALION

28 – THE CONSTELLATIONS
THE CONSTELLATION OF THIS HUNTER CAN BE IDENTIFIED BY HIS CLUB, SWORD & BELT

29 – GAMES
THE GOAL OF THIS HASBRO GAME IS TO IMPROVE CAVITY SAM’S HEALTH

30 – CANADA
THE FIRST KNOWN MENTION OF THE WORD “CANADA” WAS IN 1535 IN THIS FRENCH EXPLORER’S JOURNAL

31 – THE ORCHESTRA
YOU’LL FIND TIMPANI IN THIS SECTION OF THE ORCHESTRA

32 – TV COMEDIES
THE TITLE OF THIS AMERICA FERRARA SITCOM REFERS TO BUSINESSES LIKE TARGET & COSTCO

33 – GOVERNMENT
CONGRESS IS MADE UP OF 100 SENATORS & THIS MANY MEMBERS OF THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

34 – EXPLORERS
A STRAIT BETWEEN THE TIP OF SOUTH AMERICA & TIERRA DEL FUEGO IS NAMED FOR THIS PORTUGUESE EXPLORER

35 – BRITISH LITERATURE
“THE WAR OF THE WORLDS” & “THE INVISIBLE MAN” ARE BY HIM

36 – POTENT POTABLES
COGNAC IS A TYPE OF THIS SPIRIT

37 – BEGINS & ENDS WITH THE SAME LETTER
UBIQUITOUS MEANS THIS, ALSO 10 LETTERS LONG

38 – HOBBIES
A PHILATELIST IS PRIMARILY CONCERNED WITH THE COLLECTION OF THESE

39 – ANIMALS
URSUS MARITIMUS IS THE SCIENTIFIC NAME OF THIS LARGE CARNIVORE

40 – DANCE
THIS AFRICAN-AMERICAN CHOREOGRAPHED “REVELATIONS”, HIS DANCE COMPANY’S SIGNATURE PIECE SET TO GOSPELS

41 – STREAMING OPTIONS
“LUKE CAGE” & “UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT” ARE ORIGINAL SERIES FROM THIS STREAMING SERVICE

42 – FRENCH HISTORY
LOUIS XIV HAD HIS DAD’S HUNTING LODGE TRANSFORMED INTO THIS PALACE

43 – TECH TALK
ALLITERATIVE TERM FOR HARDWARE THAT AUTOMATICALLY IDENTIFIES & CONFIGURES WITH YOUR COMPUTER

44 – LAKES & RIVERS
THE ANGARA RIVER IS THE ONLY OUTLET OF THIS DEEP SIBERIAN LAKE

45 – WHO’S TALKING IN SHAKESPEARE
HE SAYS, “FRIENDS, ROMANS, COUNTRYMEN, LEND ME YOUR EARS”

46 – OPERA
“TOSCA” & “MADAME BUTTERFLY” WERE WRITTEN BY THIS TUSCAN-BORN COMPOSER

47 – DNA
IT’S THE SCIENTIFIC TERM FOR DETERMINING THE ORDER OF NUCLEOTIDES IN A DNA MOLECULE

48 – WORDS FROM BOOKS
IN THE WORKS OF J.R.R. TOLKIEN, THE NAME OF THIS RACE IS SAID TO MEAN “HOLE-DWELLER”

49 – WOMEN AUTHORS
THIS SISTER OF EMILY & CHARLOTTE BRONTE WROTE “THE TENANT OF WILDFELL HALL”

50 – BASEBALL
THIS ANGELS CENTER FIELDER WAS THE A.L. MVP IN 2014 & 2016
46/50 off the Facebook feed - pretty standard for me. MIssed #s 20, 40, 43 & 50. I was going along just great until I hit #19, but at least my WAG on that one was correct.
Last edited by nlw44 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
nlw44

Post by nlw44 »

floridagator wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:07 pm Wasn't the lion fighter Daniel? I just guessed Netflix so I hope that was right.
Daniel was in the lion's den, but he has his own book. If they ask about a strong man in Judges, it's ALWAYS going to be Samson.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:19 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 10:22 pm I guess I need to start studying potent potables.
Highly recommnded as a course of indepedent study.
I meant looking at lists of them. I've seen too many people almost die from alcohol poisoning to drink anything more than a few drops of wine for kiddush on shabbat.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

47 for me. Shoulda been 48, but I typed in Homer when I meant Frost. NHO Ailey, and couldn't think of plug and play.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

38 here, not too bad. Also for fun (must thank mrs dhkendall's recommendation to wait until Thursday so I can get all the practice in beforehand. She's smart like that, *she* should be the one taking the test!).

For some reason, I thought "Cavity Sam" was the character in some game (that may only exist in my imagination) where you have to pull teeth out of a very creepy looking mouth with a gnarled smile, but coudlnt'think of the name of it (WAGged "Drill and Fill") Headslap on reveal.

*Always* get thrown off by the number of representatives due to the election! I know that there are 538 electors, corresponding to the number of critters in Congress. I know there are 100 Senators, so that must leave 438 Representatives, right? Keep forgetting about the 3 elector bone they threw DC back in the 60s.

Lost the Hulu/Netflix cointoss.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Woof wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:47 pm Crap. 47 today, missing YUM! , Superstore and Plug and Play. Tomorrow's I'll take for real and will probably get a 31 :(
This is absurd. Your Learned League stats are in the top 1%, an .800+ player with ONE category below .700 who's perennially contending for an A championship. I don't know if you're trying to be self-deprecating or just avoiding overconfidence but this comes off as really damn insulting to anyone who is really struggling to reach 35.
Perv Griffin
Contributor

Post by Perv Griffin »

sitroomlarry wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:42 pm Is there a minimum time beforehand in which one must login? Because of putting the kids to bed, I could only login a few minutes before it started, but I got a screen that said "There are no tests happening at this time." I know it was before the test start time, but not by more than a couple of minutes.
I had something similar happen yesterday when I tried to log in a minute or two before the test started. I sent an email to tech support to find out what I did wrong, and they were very helpful.

They told me that you have to be logged into your account before you try to launch the test. I ran into a bunch of problems tonight and can't tell you exactly what the order of operations should be (I was on an airplane's WiFi connection, so of course I had issues, but it eventually worked...) but after logging in with one browser tab, I used the following link:
https://www.jeopardy.com/be-a-contestan ... etest/test

Good luck tomorrow!
Othersider
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Othersider »

I got 32. Might be my best so far. Hopefully next year I'll find out before the day of and study beforehand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm wondering if everyone else thinks the online practice test on jeopardy.com is easy (and if so, I'm guessing it's deliberate). So far I got 33 and 38 on the tests (for fun, tomorrow for real), but 46 on the online test just now (because one can never practice too much!) I would say that's statistically significant.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Setho
Valued Contributor

Post by Setho »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:48 am
Woof wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 11:47 pm Crap. 47 today, missing YUM! , Superstore and Plug and Play. Tomorrow's I'll take for real and will probably get a 31 :(
This is absurd. Your Learned League stats are in the top 1%, an .800+ player with ONE category below .700 who's perennially contending for an A championship. I don't know if you're trying to be self-deprecating or just avoiding overconfidence but this comes off as really damn insulting to anyone who is really struggling to reach 35.
No need to be insulted. As impressive as Woof's stats are, he has made exactly as many appearances on the show as you have. A higher score on the test means absolutely nothing. Once you meet minimum standards to get an in person audition, its all about being lucky enough to win the lottery to get an in person audition and having a personality that is suitable for television. Sure Woof seems to be an incredibly knowledgeable person, but either he lacks the luck to get the in person audition or he is a complete dullard not suitable to appear on TV.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:04 am I'm wondering if everyone else thinks the online practice test on jeopardy.com is easy (and if so, I'm guessing it's deliberate). So far I got 33 and 38 on the tests (for fun, tomorrow for real), but 46 on the online test just now (because one can never practice too much!) I would say that's statistically significant.
Yeah. I got 40 on both tests (tonight's for fun with the YouTube video, last night's for real) and I just got one wrong on the practice. I thought some of the clues on the practice test looked familiar as well (#12, 18, 23 for instance) -- possibly from recent shows?
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Looks like I got 45/50, missing 16 (mitre), 22 (blanked, thought of it at 15 seconds), 30 (think I WAGged LaSalle while failing to pull Champlain, embarrassing for a UVM grad), 32 (couldn't get past Ugly Betty), and 36 (unless port wine counts).
Late pulls include plug and play, The Goldfinch, and the Apollo (last-second change from Cotton Club).
Lucky guesses: Bahrain, Drake, Marc Antony.
Pretty sure I got Samson with an assist from Bob Weir and would bet alietr did too.

Lighten up, Jeff: the self-deprecation shuffle is practically a defining trait for some of us.
In and out of the pool four times
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

46 last night from sherder's video.

45 tonight from sherder's video. My obligatory bible miss, though i thought of samson, big box store got in the way of superstore, got there but not in time, couldn't pull cartier in time, plug and play not in my vocab, and my obligatory pop music miss with drake.

Tomorrow for real, once again, 40 plus every year since 2010 with zero calls to audition. I grow old.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

bomtr wrote: Tomorrow for real, once again, 40 plus every year since 2010 with zero calls to audition. I grow old.
I've been doing and passing the online since it began. Zero auditions. Always annoying seeing people get in after try one. On the other hand, I've gotten 2,415 times smarter since then.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Got 45 on this one from the video, same as doing Tuesday's for real. Missed Carrie (went with Firestarter), South Africa (only paid attention to Orange and went with the Netherlands), bacon (I'm vegan and not that familiar with such casual atrocities, but that's no excuse for missing the question since I did get Yum! brands), Alvin Ailey (just couldn't pull it in time), and Mike Trout (Pujols was the only Angel I could think of).

Both tests have been equally literature heavy with another nine questions about plays, books, and authors:

9. Carrie
14. Robert Frost
20. The Goldfinch
23. Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
27. Henry Higgins
35. HG Wells
45. Mark Antony
48. Hobbit
49. Anne Brontë
I would prefer not to.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Yikes, 34/50 tonight for real whereas last night I got 40/50 for fun. :'( TV and kids in the background didn't help but my fault for not setting up a better test environment.

I found tonight's considerably harder. Never heard of Ailey or anything he's done. Superstore could be considered fairly obscure. That's the type of show nobody will even remember in about 5 years.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I'm in the east, but thanks to my son's soccer practice running long (really, thanks soccer practice!) I took this test. Found it to be easier than the first test as I saw it on Jeopardy!'s Facebook page.

ETA: Barely passed 36 with a possible 37 if they take Mitre (probably won't). Not bad for my only studying being 15 minutes in the 2017 current events thread (recent pop culture is a weakness for me - it didn't help) while the countdown was going on the other monitor.

Also, reading through the thread, why are people typing first names? Just type Magellan, not Ferdinand. (Well, that won't work for Dalai Lama, but I had Nelson Mandela anyway.)
Last edited by BobF on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I took the test last night because of family matters on Tuesday. Ended up with 42/50.

Wrong answers:
Spoiler
1. Desmond Tutu instead of The Dalai Lama. What was I thinking of?
26. Morning, mourning. Drew a complete blank.
27. Misread the question, answered Eliza Doolittle instead of Henry Higgins.
36. Answered "liqueur" instead of "brandy".
40. Overthought the question (yes, you can do that in 15 seconds) and talked myself out of Alvin Ailey.
43. Plug and play. Had no idea.
45. Brutus instead of Mark Antony. Derp.
46. Wrong end of a coin flip; I went with Verdi instead of Puccini.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Ugh, 32 off the transcript, so I did 1 question better than last night. If memory serves me I have gone 2/3 in getting 35 or better in every previous year where there were 3 online tests for the adult show. This might be the first time that I've failed two of them!