Anybody else join the Alex necktie lottery on the J! store?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Anybody else join the Alex necktie lottery on the J! store?

Post by Robert K S »

I admit, I'm hoping they're giving away the stuff he wore on the last season or two, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if it were something vintage '80s, either.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Anybody else join the Alex necktie lottery on the J! store?

Post by dhkendall »

I was unaware of this, but I have been thinking of getting J! store stuff, and I've noticed I could use some more ties.

Now I know what tie I'd wear to the taping ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:29 pm I admit, I'm hoping they're giving away the stuff he wore on the last season or two, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if it were something vintage '80s, either.
Guilty as charged. I don't need a new video game until Super Mario Odyssey in December, can live without ordering take out food, can resist the Survivor auction items and won't buy any lottery tickets (not that I hardly ever do anyway) the rest of 2017.

The fun part of the extravagant purchase was getting the total over the necessary $100, but not by too much. Hint: glass, shirt, bag, and question mark necktie do it. There is still a charge for shipping even with the high purchase amount. The J! Store is no Amazon.

Yes, I am a sucker in being enticed to buy stuff I don't need just to see what kind of Alex Trebek tie I receive. Barnum is smiling.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

No. I don't enjoy wearing nooses.
rmfromfla

Post by rmfromfla »

No ties for me! Like one of those t-shirts (although I got a shirt with the original '60s Jeopardy! logo last year at Amazon!) & those laptop bags on my watch list -- good thing I still have the two unused discount codes at the ready. 8-)
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

How does this work? I don't remember seeing this announced anywhere.
アタックチャンス!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

WooWho? wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:11 pm How does this work? I don't remember seeing this announced anywhere.
https://www.thejeopardystore.com/Main/Default
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

If you were on the e-mail list, you would have gotten a promo today that said, "Spend $100 and score a tie from Alex Trebek's closet! Act fast - limited quantities available. [SHOP NOW] Alex Trebek's tie will be automatically added to your cart when the subtotal is over $100 while supplies last. Cannot choose which tie to receive, tie will be chosen at random. Limit one tie per order. No limit on redemptions per customer."

I went with two hoodies and a blue ballcap, which more than put me over the limit.

Mark, where you live, wouldn't foregoing one takeout meal suffice to balance your ledger?
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I thought that ties were banned on J!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:39 am I thought that ties were banned on J!
why do you think they're giving them away...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:30 am
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:39 am I thought that ties were banned on J!
why do you think they're giving them away...
Oh, you!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

According to a notification I just received, my order has shipped and the tie item is listed as "JPD GWP Alex Neck Tie Multi-Color".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:49 pm According to a notification I just received, my order has shipped and the tie item is listed as "JPD GWP Alex Neck Tie Multi-Color".
Mine as well. The shop ad ran again on today's show and the site still shows the offer available.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Post by Archivists »

Somebody should tell TPTB at Jeopardy! that the e-mail "invoices" (actually payment receipts) sent by the J! Store are pretty scary. They come from "bdafinance@bdainc.com" and say only "BDA - Invoice No: 41884263 Acknowledgment - Please find the attached invoice details for the invoice number 41884263. Regards, BDA". Only by examining the purchased items listed in the attached PDF does it become clear what the "invoice" pertains to; on first glance it looks like a mystery bill from an unknown merchant, giving the impression that personal information has been hacked leading to some identity theft and fraud.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

When making a purchase, is there a line somewhere that says your credit card will be billed to this entity?

Usually I've found that's the case when billing name doesn't match website.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Is this a real thing? Offhand, I don't recall seeing ties, but they are like mustaches to me and somewhat invisible. Sorry if I missed the joke...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:35 am Sorry if I missed the joke...
You did. ;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Heh. I thought the joke was Jeff Kirby.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Archivists wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:38 am Somebody should tell TPTB at Jeopardy! that the e-mail "invoices" (actually payment receipts) sent by the J! Store are pretty scary. They come from "bdafinance@bdainc.com" and say only "BDA - Invoice No: 41884263 Acknowledgment - Please find the attached invoice details for the invoice number 41884263. Regards, BDA". Only by examining the purchased items listed in the attached PDF does it become clear what the "invoice" pertains to; on first glance it looks like a mystery bill from an unknown merchant, giving the impression that personal information has been hacked leading to some identity theft and fraud.
Yes, the third email is jarring and not well thought out at all. Fortunately, I was recognized BDA from the order confirmation and shipping confirmation emails that also acknowledged J! Store. Still, I passed on opening the attachment.

I can't recall but my instincts say yes that when checking out there was mentioned of BDA showing up on a billing statement. Not this case but certainly when I make purchases through PayPal it is made clear what will show as often it is different from the seller name.