Thursday, December 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6259, 2011-12-01

CONTESTANTS
Gillian DiPietro, a law student from Brooklyn, New York
Logan Schultz, a bank examiner from Lexington, Kentucky
Jan Zasowski, a stock trader from Chicago, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $26,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you, Johnny. Our three players--Jan, Logan, and Gillian--have a number of things in common. They're here as contestants, but they're also here to earn some spending money for the holidays. So good luck to you. Here we go--Jeopardy! Round. And these are your categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WEE FOLK (5/5)
FURNITURE (3/5)
BRIT SPEAK (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DANCE! (5/5)
ABOUT THE STATES (5/5)
"IGGY" POP (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jan: 12 R (including 3 rebounds), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Logan: 8 R, 3 W
Gillian: 4 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jan found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jan had $1,000, Logan was scoreless, and Gillian was at $600. Jan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

BRIT SPEAK $1000: A lido is a public one of these; on a cruise ship you'll find one on the lido deck
(Jan: What is a beach?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jan: $2,200
Logan: $1,600
Gillian: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Gillian DiPietro is from Brooklyn, New York. And when this young lady was in the ninth grade, she had a crush on someone very well-known, someone who has appeared on our show on a number of occasions, and that person is, Gillian?

Gillian: Regis Philbin, of course. Um, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire was very popular at the time, and I just was swept away by his girlish charm and, uh, the curl of his hair.

Alex: And how did you honor him in your home?

Gillian: I convinced my biology class, actually, to name our, uh, guinea pig after him.

Alex: Does Regis know that you did this?

Gillian: No. May--could you tell him?

Alex: He's just been told.

Gillian: Okay!

Alex: He watches our show all the time. There you go, Regis.

Alex: Logan, over to you now. Logan Schultz--bank examiner from Lexington, Kentucky, horse country.

Logan: Mm-hmm.

Alex: Now you and your brother missed a train leaving bologna, and then what happened?

Logan: Yes, we were backpacking, and we missed--we missed our train. And so we went in the waiting room for the night, 'cause the next one wouldn't leave until the morning. However, they needed to clean the waiting room, so they kicked us out, so we found a stairwell to sleep in, when the police came and tried to kick us out of the stairwell. And I was a little tired, and so I just said to him in Italian, "Where do you want me to go?" And he looked me up and down and said, "Oh, are you American?" And I nodded, and he said, "Oh, you can stay here. I thought you were a bum. You're fine."

Alex: You see, we're not ugly Americans after all.

Alex: Jan Zasowski, from Chicago, is a stock trader, and you have a pet also, but a different kind of pet, not at all like Gillian's. Tell us about yours.

Jan: Well, unfortunately, I'm allergic to dogs, and my girlfriend wanted to get me--my girlfriend Sarah wanted to get me a wonderful pet anyway. And since I love cooking, she decided to get me a pet log, and what the pet log grows for me, instead of wool, is mushrooms. So I have a shiitake mushroom log named Reggie.

Alex: [Chuckles] To each his own.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BRIT SPEAK $800: The ironmonger is the gent who runs this type of local store

"IGGY" POP $200: Laverne & Shirley's neighbor
(Gillian: Who is Ziggy?)

"IGGY" POP $600: She played first mate to Captain Link Hogthrob
(Jan: Who is Twiggy?)
(Alex: Logan, you knew that, and you didn't ring in.)
(Logan: I did.)

FURNITURE $200: This type of low bed has casters so that it can be rolled under another bed for storage
(Logan: What is a day bed?)
(Gillian: What is a cabin bed?)
(Alex: Logan, did you know that?)
(Logan: I did. After I--)
(Alex: Afterwards, yes. After your incorrect response. Go again. Three clues left.)

FURNITURE $1000: French for "shelf", it's an open-shelved piece of furniture for displaying knickknacks
(Logan: What is a curio cabinet?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jan: $6,400
Logan: $1,800
Gillian: $400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FIRST OF THE MONTH (4/5)
THE JEOPARDY! TIME MACHINE (5/5)
GEOLOGY (5/5)
THE NATIONAL TRACK & FIELD HALL OF FAME (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MINER CLASSICS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"MAJOR" CONCERNS (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jan: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Logan: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Gillian: 8 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Logan snagged the next Daily Double on the 16th clue. Jan had $11,600, Logan had $3,400, and Gillian was at $5,600. Logan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,400.

THE NATIONAL TRACK & FIELD HALL OF FAME $800: Mike Conley had a personal best of over 27' in the long jump & over 58' in this event

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Gillian who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Jan had $18,400, Logan had $8,800, and Gillian was at $8,400. Gillian wagered $3,000.

MINER CLASSICS $2000: 1917's "King Coal" by this author was to the mining industry what an earlier work had been to the meat-packing industry
(Gillian: Uh, who is Sinclair Lewis?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE NATIONAL TRACK & FIELD HALL OF FAME $1600: Al Oerter won this event in 4 straight Olympics but due to youth, then injury, then age, was an underdog every time

FIRST OF THE MONTH $2000: Official birthday of Point Given & Mine That Bird
(Alex: Those are thoroughbreds, and each thoroughbred becomes a year older on [*] the first.)

THE NATIONAL TRACK & FIELD HALL OF FAME $2000: She won the first Olympic women's marathon in 1984 & ran under 2:50 in the New York Marathon in 2009

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jan: $18,800 (lock game)
Logan: $8,800
Gillian: $7,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HIT SONGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Jan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Logan: Wager $5,201 to cover Gillian.
Gillian: Risk between $1,801 and $3,400, covering Logan's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Inspired by a Meher Baba saying, this 1980s Grammy winner was the first a cappella recording to top the Billboard 100

FINAL SCORES
Gillian: $7,000 - $6,997 = $3 (What is ?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Logan: $8,800 - $5,302 = $3,498 (What is It's All Ri Dont worry, be happ) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jan: $18,800 + $1,000 = $19,800 (What is Don't Worry Be Happy?) (2-day champion: $46,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jan: $19,800, 22 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Gillian: $10,000, 12 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Logan: $6,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $36,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Jan: 23/59 = .390
Logan: 15/59 = .254
Gillian: 12/59 = .203
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DANCE! $400: Seen here is the Kahurangi troupe performing the haka, a traditional dance of the Maori of this nation

DANCE! $600: We'd love to show a clip of this "forbidden dance" from a 1990 film, but we want to keep our G rating
(Gillian: What is the tango?)

ABOUT THE STATES $800: Orson Welles' birthplace of Kenosha is in this state
(Logan: What is New Jersey?)

"IGGY" POP $1000: In a David Bowie song, he played guitar with his band the spiders from Mars
(Gillian: Who is Iggy Stardust?)
(Alex: Yes.)
(Gillin: Uh, DANCE!--)
(Judge: No!)
(Alex: Whoa. No? Sorry. Jan.)

THE NATIONAL TRACK & FIELD HALL OF FAME $1200: At Oregon, he won seven NCAA track titles and made the cover
of Sports Illustrated as a freshman, before his tragic death at 24

FIRST OF THE MONTH $1200: Canada Day
(Logan: What is June?)

THE NATIONAL TRACK & FIELD HALL OF FAME $400: Dave Wottle was known for his cap; after winning 1972's Olympic 800, he forgot to take it off during this & had to apologize
(Gillian: What is the opening ceremonies?)

GEOLOGY $2000: A giant ocean called Panthalassa once surrounded this supercontinent, whose name means "all earth"

MINER CLASSICS $1600: This "colorful" Richard Llewellyn novel set in a Welsh mining community was made into a 1941 Oscar-winning film
(Alex: Yes. Great movie.)

THE JEOPARDY! TIME MACHINE $400: Sure, Mr. Gore, Palm Beach, early 2000--guess you want to rework the ballot named for this insect
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a swimming pool
a hardware store
Squiggy
Miss Piggy
a trundle
étagère
the triple jump
Upton Sinclair
discus throw
January
Joan Benoit
"Don't Worry, Be Happy" (by Bobby McFerrin)
New Zealand
the lambada
Wisconsin
Ziggy Stardust
(Steve) Prefontaine
July
the national anthem
Pangaea
How Green Was My Valley
a butterfly

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Thursday, December 1, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

Being a rugby fan, it was nice to see a clue about the haka. The New Zealand national team, the All Blacks, perform one before every match. I love seeing how the opposing team reacts to it and think it one of the coolest traditions in sports.

SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

econgator wrote:Being a rugby fan, it was nice to see a clue about the haka. The New Zealand national team, the All Blacks, perform one before every match. I love seeing how the opposing team reacts to it and think it one of the coolest traditions in sports.

That is so cool.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.

MDCSWildcats86
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Knew FJ cold, but shocked that the middle player was ruled incorrect (he had the correct title, was it that they found "worry" incomprehensible?)

CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Knew FJ cold, but shocked that the middle player was ruled incorrect (he had the correct title, was it that they found "worry" incomprehensible?)
One of my greatest J! fears is that Alex/judges won't be able to read my FJ answer should I ever appear on the show. My handwriting is so terrible I once had a teacher ask me in all seriousness if I had some disability that prevented from writing legibly.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I think it's pretty arrogant for the judges to presume they know for sure Gillian was saying "Iggy Stardust" and not "Ziggy Stardust." The "Who izziggy Stardust" sound wasn't all that precise.
Too bad she misspoke on that DD, she probably would've prevented the runaway. FJ results make that irrelevant as the champ had the sole get. (Well, Logan had it too but judges deemed it illegible.)

INSPIRED BY A MEHER BABA SAYING, THIS 1980s GRAMMY WINNER WAS THE FIRST A CAPELLA RECORDING TO TOP THE BILLBOARD 100.
Spoiler
ANSWER: DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY by BOBBY McFERRIN

laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

Another FJ I would never have gotten.

Because I didn't know the song was considered "a capella".

In my mind, if there are musical instruments, it's not.

Just demonstrates my ignorance, I guess :-(

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I heard "Iggy Stardust," but I will admit that it wasn't very clear.

This game was...it had a lot of negs.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I definitely heard "Iggy". And I think they negged him on FJ because he didn't finish writing "worry". I could clearly tell what the rest of it was. Thankfully, it didn't matter at all. But there sure were a lot of people shooting themselves in the foot tonight, unfortunately.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I definitely heard "Iggy". And I think they negged him on FJ because he didn't finish writing "worry".
Yeah, it was "iggy". I thought they negged him as he only had "happ". He should have put a "y" instead of a second "p" (not that it would have changed anything).

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

I got FJ! Not instaget, and wasn't entirely certain, but was pretty comfortable with it once I thought of it.. (It helps that I really like Bobby McFerrin - I have a cd of his of classical music that in some pieces, he takes the part of, for instance, the cello. It's beautiful.)
laubla999 wrote:Another FJ I would never have gotten.

Apparently, what sounds like instruments in the song is actually McFerrin, also. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Worry,_Be_Happy

laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

mam418 wrote:I got FJ! Not instaget, and wasn't entirely certain, but was pretty comfortable with it once I thought of it.. (It helps that I really like Bobby McFerrin - I have a cd of his of classical music that in some pieces, he takes the part of, for instance, the cello. It's beautiful.)
laubla999 wrote:Another FJ I would never have gotten.

Apparently, what sounds like instruments in the song is actually McFerrin, also. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Worry,_Be_Happy

Yes, I read the Wikipedia entry.
It's been a while since I've heard the song; I never realized that McFerrin was doing it all.

Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

I have always wondered why the contestant doesn't volunteer what he or she wrote when Alex says he can't read it, but I realized today that evidently the contestant is not supposed to say anything; it has to be legible to Alex, or Logan could surely have volunteered his answer instead of just standing mute. Am I wrong? Whether there were letters missing which would have disqualified the reply is irrelevant to my question, although perhaps it isn't. If the contestant answers it out loud, but there are significant letters missing in the written reply, it would be ruled incorrect anyway.

And I am not sure what Gillian said and could not tell when I re-ran my tape. Too many negs in this one game.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Paucle wrote:I think it's pretty arrogant for the judges to presume they know for sure Gillian was saying "Iggy Stardust" and not "Ziggy Stardust." The "Who izziggy Stardust" sound wasn't all that precise.
If she had said that, she would have gotten away with it. There was a clear glottal stop between the Z sound and the I after it, enough that I wasn't the only one in the room to notice it.

I think I had "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by the time I got to "1980s" in the clue.

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

CrunchyTaco wrote:
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Knew FJ cold, but shocked that the middle player was ruled incorrect (he had the correct title, was it that they found "worry" incomprehensible?)
One of my greatest J! fears is that Alex/judges won't be able to read my FJ answer should I ever appear on the show. My handwriting is so terrible I once had a teacher ask me in all seriousness if I had some disability that prevented from writing legibly.
I thought I heard the judges say "no" in the background fairly quickly. I would say they ruled it incomplete due to the "Happ", not because it was illegible.

Similar situation here, and on a music FJ no less.

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

INSPIRED BY A MEHER BABA SAYING, THIS 1980s GRAMMY WINNER WAS THE FIRST A CAPELLA RECORDING TO TOP THE BILLBOARD 100.

The first time I read the clue I read it this way: INSPIRED BY A MEHER BABA SAYING, THIS 1980 GRAMMY WINNER WAS THE FIRST A CAPELLA RECORDING TO TOP THE BILLBOARD 100.

I turned back the time machine to that year. The Knack, Michael Jackson, and Blondie were the first acts that came to me. A capella? I had nothing. I reread the clue at a slower pace. 1980s? Oh, that's easy. The Bobby McFerrin song. Done. 10 in a row since the one where I was wrong with Gulf of Tonkin.

The January for horses having their birthday was my favorite TS of the game. Easy 2K for those who know the sport. Harder if you don't. If a player didn't even realize the names were famous horses, then no chance.

I have not checked on a pause, but while watching live it looked like Logan had "Happ" to finish his response. Not readable is one thing. Not complete is neg city. I also suspect Alex knew what Logan was going for, but wanted to draw out the suspense of the correct response by playing dumb to get the winning response from Jan.

Miner Classics did not have Bully. That's a (Rachel) Miner classic. Seriously though, it was a given that HGWMV would be in there. Alex has mentioned many times over the years about his love for the movie.

Does wondering if Logan and Gillian were on double boxes or Jan was in the pit violate the rule about commenting on player appearances? What a size differential.

ETA: Hugo beat me to the "Happ" portion of my post while I was composing.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Zee2 wrote:I have always wondered why the contestant doesn't volunteer what he or she wrote when Alex says he can't read it, but I realized today that evidently the contestant is not supposed to say anything; it has to be legible to Alex, or Logan could surely have volunteered his answer instead of just standing mute. Am I wrong?
I've heard the contestants speak their response many times. I don't think it matters whether or not Alex can read it, only the judges/person(s) who sees the screens.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The January for horses having their birthday was my favorite TS of the game. Easy 2K for those who know the sport.
Not a huge horse fan, but I know that fact.
ETA: Hugo beat me to the "Happ" portion of my post while I was composing.
and I beat him to it. :D

vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Post by vellore »

Any thoughts on Gillian's Sinclair Lewis/Upton Sinclair mishap? Did she realize she was wrong, and correct herself independently, or did she only correct herself based on negative sounds from Alex? If the former, should she have received the points? I didn't quite catch the sequence of events.

And that's two shows in a row of tough Canadian content--triple stumper on Gordie Howe yesterday, and neg on Canada Day today.