June 1, 2017 Adult Online Test Discussion (Pacific)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: June 1, 2017 Adult Online Test Discussion (Pacific)

Post by mennoknight »

definitely played easier than the previous two for me (36, 38, and 46 on this one). I'm pretty consistently around 36-40, so this felt like a breeze. To be fair, I am super woke.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
BradsDad
Contributor

Post by BradsDad »

Took it on video for fun. Apparently Supergirl is my Crazy Ex Girlfriend

Blanked on woke, schooner, and for some reason, the Cubs.

Said Poconos for Pennsylvania mountains
Started to write Go Tell It on the Mountain but caught myself
Blanked on Pantone , wrote Sherwin-Williams
Elijah Baley

Re: June 1, 2017 Adult Online Test Discussion

Post by Elijah Baley »

OSXpert wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:09 am
Michael Palin wrote: A Tiger? In Africa?
Exactly what popped into my head.

Along with:
FRONT END: Uh, we're-- we're doing an advert for 'Tiger' brand coffee.

REAR END: 'Tiger' brand coffee is a real treat. Even tigers prefer a cup of it to real meat. Mm.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

NHO Pantone or Woke (in that context).

Lol miss - "Double letters" - galleon for ship and beer.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Took it for fun, got a 43 but I'm giving myself 45 because I would have got Go Set a Watchmen and All's Well if I'd been taking it for real ;)

No guess on fife, schooner, coddle, Supergirl (though I suspected they were going for a super hero type)

Pretty good questions in all - I would throw out a few of the gimmes but I guess they put those in there to make people feel good about getting at least a few right

Central test seemed hardest, the one I took for real - 38-40 and hoping for an email invite 8-)
davey

Post by davey »

soxfan99 wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:58 am I think this was my highest score of any test I've taken. Pretty sure I got 44 counting spelling mistakes, but at least 40 if they weren't accepted. I did learn something from the results. I always thought it was "Fort Sumpter." "Fort Sumter" looks really strange to me. The spelling changes the pronunciation enough that it might disallow it.
It's an interesting question whether Fort Sumpter would be accepted. For most people who aren't teaching enunciation, the p is silent anyway, or would be, I should say. It doesn't look like anyone's ever tried it on the show. If there's anyplace to be lenient about it, the online test would be it. Though it might be a matter of someone anticipating it, and preprogramming it into the correction software, which seems less likely.
Last edited by davey on Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

38 here, but this was a pretty easy test and at least 4 misses were ones I knew but somehow typed the wrong thing; House of Commons for House of Lords, etc. Derp. :oops:

That said, "woke" and a few others (Pantone?? NHOI) wouldn't have occurred to me with a week to think about it.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Took this for fun off the board just to compare it to my real experience on Tuesday.

This certainly SEEMED much easier, which is always the case when you start off 10-0. OK, I've never done that before, but I did it on this test and it felt really good. Ended up with only 39, 2 better than when I took it for real, and about par for the course.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

I took this one for real and got a 45 (typical for me). However, I was all over the map on the other two tests. I got a 48 on Tuesday taking it from the written clues (breezed through the 15 second time limit wasn't relevant) but a 40 on Wednesday taking it from sherder's video (thanks Sue!).

And the waiting continues...
billiej

Post by billiej »

Oh sure, I would've had a 42 on this one (vs. around 37 for the other 2).

Anagrammed city...oh, now you're just taunting me!! Of course I wouldn't get that on MY test. :lol:
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

36 for Pacific. 40 for Eastern. 34 for Central. Of course I took Central for real. Maybe next year.
Walterwiggum
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Walterwiggum »

9021amyers wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:48 am I took the test for real on Wednesday, and score 40/50; I would have scored 45/50 had I taken the West Coast test.

Missed 5 (piccolo), 8 (poach), 16 (soft palate; there's an e in there), 23 (thought of Antony and Cleopatra, noticed "comedy," and would have only been able to type ALL'S WELL before running out of time), and 50 (iZombie).
Wouldn't the correct answer be "A Comedy of Errors?" Or did I miss some nuance of the question?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Walterwiggum wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:15 pm
9021amyers wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:48 am I took the test for real on Wednesday, and score 40/50; I would have scored 45/50 had I taken the West Coast test.

Missed 5 (piccolo), 8 (poach), 16 (soft palate; there's an e in there), 23 (thought of Antony and Cleopatra, noticed "comedy," and would have only been able to type ALL'S WELL before running out of time), and 50 (iZombie).
Wouldn't the correct answer be "A Comedy of Errors?" Or did I miss some nuance of the question?
It would (possibly) be A Midsummer Night's Dream. For the one you mentioned, it's actually The Comedy of Errors.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

It's All's Well. See http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2080 the $400 Shakespeare clue.

Taking all three unofficially I got 40/38/45 in order, not too shabby. Some lucky guesses on this one though, like angels and schooner.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

If by some miracle I got enough right to pique their interest, what would happen next?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:33 pm If by some miracle I got enough right to pique their interest, what would happen next?
You'll get an email with an audition time/date. If you respond affirmatively to that, they'll send a follow-up with location and other details.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

42 here. Tuesday's test was the easiest for me.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

And I close out with a 32, after a 31 and another 32 :cry:

Thanks to sherder for the video!
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Seems like the consensus is this was the easiest of the three, and my 47 (probably aided by a couple chatterboxes posting spoilers in a LL thread) taking this off the video bears that out. Bear in mind that Roger Craig felt his score of 40 after posting a few in the high 40s played a part in his finally getting the call... an anecdote I overlook annually.

Misses: 6 (blanked; after time expired, thought of Adirondacks and Poconos), 43 (Sherwin-Williams), and 50 (blank)
Somewhat spoiled: woke (might have got this--lotsa woke kids in the local ultimate community), All's Well That Ends Well (probably >50% chance I pull this too)
Near-blanks: ACLU, Elements of Style (stuck on Strunk & White and The Little Book), Bangor (tried to think of a word to anagram that meant No Brag (humble?) before getting a clue)
Guesses that hit: Ganges, Verdi
Got epiglottis mainly because I did a science project on it in about 4th grade.
Gotta figure both Susan G. Komen and Fort Sumpter get counted.

Hoping now for my fourth Seattle audition. Best of luck to all, and I'll see some of you (Fowlerism, bomtr, anyone else?) tomorrow at the WQC test.
In and out of the pool four times
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Glad to hear I'm not the only person who Fort Sumpter-ed. Counting that as wrong, I got 41. Also, I always think Elements of Style is actually named Handbook of Style. So my record is 41-39-41. had I been taking it for real, I would have taken Wednesday's test and that was my lowest scoring test, but I would have been happy enough with 39.