Airports named out of context (6/1 SPOILER)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Airports named out of context (6/1 SPOILER)

Post by floridagator »

Spoilerized.
Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:54 pm The Bush clue asked what president the airport was named for, so it is certainly possible it could have been named for Bush43 as opposed to Bush41. Though I wonder if it had been named for Johnson36 if they would have given a BMS for Johnson. (Y I doubt they'd name an airport in Houston for Johnson17, it could happen).
I want to reply to Bamaman but not hijack the 6/1 game discussion.

What airports can we come up with that have been named for non-locals out of context?

Here are some that come to mind:

JFK

Reagan (other than being president, no connection to DC)

Dulles (his career was in NYC)

Lindbergh (no connection to Sandy Eggo). Why is airport in MN where he's from or St. Louis not named for him?

Pearson - obviously they chose to name the biggest Canadian airport after him, but he's not from there

There is talk of naming an airport after Obama. Midway would be fitting but it is small. Honolulu is fitting but is remote. Los Angeles would be another out of context naming.

Are there others?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Airports named out of context (6/1 SPOILER)

Post by alietr »

I disagree about Dulles. The airport serves Washington, and he was Secretary of State at the time. That's sufficient nexus in my book.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:19 am Spoilerized.
Pearson - obviously they chose to name the biggest Canadian airport after him, but he's not from there
Pearson was literally born in Toronto.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

As for Lindbergh, the Spirit of St. Louis was built in San Diego. Lindbergh flew the plane from there to New York before going on to Paris.
Last edited by Fleeboy on Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:19 am
Lindbergh (no connection to Sandy Eggo). Why is airport in MN where he's from or St. Louis not named for him?
Aside from the fact that it's not called Lindbergh Field any more, there is this: http://www.san.org/education/history

There is talk of naming an airport after Obama. Midway would be fitting but it is small. Honolulu is fitting but is remote. Los Angeles would be another out of context naming.
Midway is much bigger than Little Rock. But since it's already named for an important event in American history, I wouldn't rename it. Honolulu is already named for Inouye.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Long Island MacArthur

O'Hare? Don't think he had any ties to Chicago.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I never knew Midway was named for the battle. I just thought they called it that because it is midway across the country between NYC and LA.

I learned something today. Thank you.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:19 am
It is! (Kind of.) Terminal 1 of Minneapolis-St Paul (MSP) is the Lindbergh Terminal. (Terminal 2 is named for Hubert H. Humphrey.)
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

floridagator wrote:

At least one of the terminals at MSP is named after Lindbergh.

ETA: acthomas beat me to it.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:30 am I never knew Midway was named for the battle. I just thought they called it that because it is midway across the country between NYC and LA.

You might remember this famous FJ clue:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3576
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mother Teresa Airport in Tirana, Albania. Although Mother Teresa was ethnically Albanian she was born in Skopje (what is now Macedonia). She never lived in Albania.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:30 am I never knew Midway was named for the battle. I just thought they called it that because it is midway across the country between NYC and LA.

Which kind of makes it more apt that it be named for Obama, as he started his political career in Chicago, and was born (relatively) close to where the Battle of Midway occurred.

However, despite being a fan of Obama, I agree the sacredness of the battle precludes renaming it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:02 am Mother Teresa Airport in Tirana, Albania. Although Mother Teresa was ethnically Albanian she was born in Skopje (what is now Macedonia). She never lived in Albania.
It's not like there's a famous Albanian to name it after ...
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Naming airports (and other structures) after politicians (especially living ones) is dumb.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA, comes to mind. Not sure what the nexus is other than that he lived in Hollywood as an actor. The airport info page doesn't give any background about the name. Wikipedia simply says the county supervisors named it because Wayne lived in Newport Beach.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:38 am Naming airports (and other structures) after politicians (especially living ones) is dumb.
+1, unless there's special circumstances. I 195 in NJ is named for former congressman Jim Howard who fought for the funding to have the road built (and before I moved, it undoubtedly saved me countless hours in the car, so I'm kind of biased towards letting that bear his name).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:08 pm John Wayne Airport in Orange County, CA, comes to mind. Not sure what the nexus is other than that he lived in Hollywood as an actor. The airport info page doesn't give any background about the name. Wikipedia simply says the county supervisors named it because Wayne lived in Newport Beach.
I guess this is the same reckoning for Bob Hope Airport in (Burbank?), Hope was born in England, but lived in (Burbank?) near the airport at the time of its renaming.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 am I disagree about Dulles. The airport serves Washington, and he was Secretary of State at the time. That's sufficient nexus in my book.
That would justify naming any airport near Washington after any cabinet member.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:45 pm
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:36 am I disagree about Dulles. The airport serves Washington, and he was Secretary of State at the time. That's sufficient nexus in my book.
That would justify naming any airport near Washington after any cabinet member.
I think it's justified. Dulles was MOST famous as Secretary of State. Reagan was MOST famous as President. It seems to me that ties each of these men closely to Washington D.C. so it's not out of context to name a nearby airport for either of them.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:26 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:02 am Mother Teresa Airport in Tirana, Albania. Although Mother Teresa was ethnically Albanian she was born in Skopje (what is now Macedonia). She never lived in Albania.
It's not like there's a famous Albanian to name it after ...
But "Zog International Airport" would be AWESOME.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)