2017 World Quizzing Championships

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 744
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:39 pm
Location: New Jersey

2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by sarisson » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:28 pm

I'm sure a lot of you competed today (this was my first time). Triviawayne and I graded each other's papers. Other boardies I recognized (either from TV or the sign-in sheet) were TheSunWillComeOut, Vermonter, ThreeIfByAir, slam, and maybe a few others. I was the skinny guy at the end of the counter who barely looked old enough to go to a bar.
Results are still coming in. I got an 81, which for a test of that extreme difficulty is decent.
In for a second lap

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by triviawayne » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:53 pm

59.

Good to meet you, didn't know you were a boardie
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:20 pm

I got to grade half of 1999 ToC winner Dave Abbott's test today. Four years ago, I happened to grade half of Steve Perry's. I wonder what other prominent quizzers I'll have the honor of grading in the future.


rpg
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by rpg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:33 am

Anyone know if the questions are available somewhere? I'd quite like to look up some of the ones I missed...

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 6023
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by alietr » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:03 am

Quite a few friends and familiar names in the top 100.

User avatar
Bartleby
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 222
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by Bartleby » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:22 am

I really wanted to take the quiz for the first time this year but couldn't justify the eight hours round trip I would've had to go to take it in Little Rock. Maybe next year.
I would prefer not to.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1464
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by boson » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:19 am

rpg wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:33 am
Anyone know if the questions are available somewhere? I'd quite like to look up some of the ones I missed...
In the past they sold the questions after the competition.

Congrats to everyone who paryicipated! One of these days I'll get my act together and travel or set up a site here.

AlphaDummy
Contributor
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by AlphaDummy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm

boson wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:19 am
rpg wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:33 am
Anyone know if the questions are available somewhere? I'd quite like to look up some of the ones I missed...
In the past they sold the questions after the competition.

Congrats to everyone who paryicipated! One of these days I'll get my act together and travel or set up a site here.
Our proctor (Madison, WI venue) returned the tests less the cover sheets to those who so desired after he had entered our scores (yeah, you bet I took him up on it). In fact, I seem to recall somewhere among the fine print on the cover sheet that our tests would/could be returned to us this way.

I will be tied up most of today, but if you have questions about some of the, uhh, questions, please PM me.

AlphaDummy
Contributor
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by AlphaDummy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:31 pm

And, for what it is worth: Just for S&G, I answered "brothel" to the q about the place in Damascus that could serve 6000 people.

If you have no chance of winning, giving one point up for humor is sometimes not a bad thing... :mrgreen:

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm

How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2719
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:42 pm

AlphaDummy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:31 pm
And, for what it is worth: Just for S&G, I answered "brothel" to the q about the place in Damascus that could serve 6000 people.

If you have no chance of winning, giving one point up for humor is sometimes not a bad thing... :mrgreen:
Mine was "public restroom." Others of my answers:
Chinese Actress: Ida Noh
Armenian chess player: Check Checkmatian
Korean director: Kim Jong Film
Movie about gluttony: The Golden Corral
Italy-Germany agreement: My Little Pact: Fascism is Magic
Dynasty derived from a word meaning "son-in-law": Meathead
Celtic god: Larry Bird
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
TriviaBug
Contributor
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 am

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by TriviaBug » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm
How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?
I always thought that Steve Perry (IMO the best quizzer this side of the pond) is the best bet to break the stranglehold of the Europeans. But looks like America now has a new star.

After last years' event, I was telling Sven that a score of 140 might be achievable if one has enough time and willingness. Keeping aside the other-worldly scores of the great Kevin Ashman and Pat Gibson, 140 is something to be proud of at any age. But 142 after graduating high school? Mind boggling! I will be following the trajectory of Jakob Myers in the years to come.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com

Tamest_Whiff
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:25 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by Tamest_Whiff » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:10 am

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm
How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?
Jakob is really, really, good at quizbowl, by the way.

In the history-focused History Bee/Bowl, he won the single-player Bee twice in a row and, playing by himself, finished fifth place in the (team) Bowl this year and eight last year.

In the all subject NAQT HSNCT (High School National Championship Tournament) last year, he finished third, losing only to the second, fourth, and fifth place teams. https://www.naqt.com/stats/team-perform ... _id=115133 is the link to his team's performance. Notice how he gets almost everything for his team. He seems not to have played two years ago, nor did he play in the other nationals.

In other words, Jakob knows his academics, and I'm not surprised to see him do this well if he was able to get non-quizbowl stuff (if there was any).

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 868
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:41 am

It's too bad he'll be spending the next four years in East Lansing instead of Columbus. On the other hand, it sounds like his knowledge overlaps a lot with Chris Ray's anyway, so it won't be as big of a loss.

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1569
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:17 am

TriviaBug wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm
How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?
I always thought that Steve Perry (IMO the best quizzer this side of the pond) is the best bet to break the stranglehold of the Europeans. But looks like America now has a new star.

After last years' event, I was telling Sven that a score of 140 might be achievable if one has enough time and willingness. Keeping aside the other-worldly scores of the great Kevin Ashman and Pat Gibson, 140 is something to be proud of at any age. But 142 after graduating high school? Mind boggling! I will be following the trajectory of Jakob Myers in the years to come.
Plus I woke up with a backache, so I am feeling obsolete all over.

rpg
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:34 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by rpg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 am

AlphaDummy wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm
boson wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:19 am
rpg wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:33 am
Anyone know if the questions are available somewhere? I'd quite like to look up some of the ones I missed...
In the past they sold the questions after the competition.

Congrats to everyone who paryicipated! One of these days I'll get my act together and travel or set up a site here.
Our proctor (Madison, WI venue) returned the tests less the cover sheets to those who so desired after he had entered our scores (yeah, you bet I took him up on it). In fact, I seem to recall somewhere among the fine print on the cover sheet that our tests would/could be returned to us this way.

I will be tied up most of today, but if you have questions about some of the, uhh, questions, please PM me.
My friend said he got his questions back in past years. Alas, I forgot to ask the proctor before he left.

If you have the time and inclination to scan them that would be superb; otherwise, I imagine I can wait to purchase them (although something about buying the questions for a quiz I took rubs me the wrong wrong).

AlphaDummy
Contributor
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:47 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by AlphaDummy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:19 am

rpg wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 am
My friend said he got his questions back in past years. Alas, I forgot to ask the proctor before he left.

If you have the time and inclination to scan them that would be superb; otherwise, I imagine I can wait to purchase them (although something about buying the questions for a quiz I took rubs me the wrong wrong).
PM sent.

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1569
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:09 pm

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by Austin Powers » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:31 am

One reason they sell them is that it's their work and it's a lot of hard work to make a question set. Just a thought.

User avatar
TriviaBug
Contributor
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 am

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by TriviaBug » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:33 am

Austin Powers wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:17 am
TriviaBug wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm
How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?
I always thought that Steve Perry (IMO the best quizzer this side of the pond) is the best bet to break the stranglehold of the Europeans. But looks like America now has a new star.

After last years' event, I was telling Sven that a score of 140 might be achievable if one has enough time and willingness. Keeping aside the other-worldly scores of the great Kevin Ashman and Pat Gibson, 140 is something to be proud of at any age. But 142 after graduating high school? Mind boggling! I will be following the trajectory of Jakob Myers in the years to come.
Plus I woke up with a backache, so I am feeling obsolete all over.
Nothing like the new kid in town lighting a fire under the old pro. Look forward to seeing you hit 180 next year and best those pesky Europeans.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com

Post Reply