2017 World Quizzing Championships

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by sarisson »

I'm sure a lot of you competed today (this was my first time). Triviawayne and I graded each other's papers. Other boardies I recognized (either from TV or the sign-in sheet) were TheSunWillComeOut, Vermonter, ThreeIfByAir, slam, and maybe a few others. I was the skinny guy at the end of the counter who barely looked old enough to go to a bar.
Results are still coming in. I got an 81, which for a test of that extreme difficulty is decent.
Hoping for a third lap
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: 2017 World Quizzing Championships

Post by triviawayne »

Good to meet you, didn't know you were a boardie
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I got to grade half of 1999 ToC winner Dave Abbott's test today. Four years ago, I happened to grade half of Steve Perry's. I wonder what other prominent quizzers I'll have the honor of grading in the future.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

Anyone know if the questions are available somewhere? I'd quite like to look up some of the ones I missed...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Quite a few friends and familiar names in the top 100.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

I really wanted to take the quiz for the first time this year but couldn't justify the eight hours round trip I would've had to go to take it in Little Rock. Maybe next year.
I would prefer not to.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

rpg wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:33 am Anyone know if the questions are available somewhere? I'd quite like to look up some of the ones I missed...
In the past they sold the questions after the competition.

Congrats to everyone who paryicipated! One of these days I'll get my act together and travel or set up a site here.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

boson wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:19 am
rpg wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:33 am Anyone know if the questions are available somewhere? I'd quite like to look up some of the ones I missed...

Congrats to everyone who paryicipated! One of these days I'll get my act together and travel or set up a site here.
Our proctor (Madison, WI venue) returned the tests less the cover sheets to those who so desired after he had entered our scores (yeah, you bet I took him up on it). In fact, I seem to recall somewhere among the fine print on the cover sheet that our tests would/could be returned to us this way.

I will be tied up most of today, but if you have questions about some of the, uhh, questions, please PM me.
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

And, for what it is worth: Just for S&G, I answered "brothel" to the q about the place in Damascus that could serve 6000 people.

If you have no chance of winning, giving one point up for humor is sometimes not a bad thing... :mrgreen:
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

AlphaDummy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:31 pm And, for what it is worth: Just for S&G, I answered "brothel" to the q about the place in Damascus that could serve 6000 people.

If you have no chance of winning, giving one point up for humor is sometimes not a bad thing... :mrgreen:
Mine was "public restroom." Others of my answers:
Chinese Actress: Ida Noh
Armenian chess player: Check Checkmatian
Korean director: Kim Jong Film
Movie about gluttony: The Golden Corral
Italy-Germany agreement: My Little Pact: Fascism is Magic
Dynasty derived from a word meaning "son-in-law": Meathead
Celtic god: Larry Bird
Sprinkles are for winners.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?
I always thought that Steve Perry (IMO the best quizzer this side of the pond) is the best bet to break the stranglehold of the Europeans. But looks like America now has a new star.

After last years' event, I was telling Sven that a score of 140 might be achievable if one has enough time and willingness. Keeping aside the other-worldly scores of the great Kevin Ashman and Pat Gibson, 140 is something to be proud of at any age. But 142 after graduating high school? Mind boggling! I will be following the trajectory of Jakob Myers in the years to come.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com
Tamest_Whiff

Post by Tamest_Whiff »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:48 pm How about that Jakob Myers, who got 142 and just graduated high school?
Jakob is really, really, good at quizbowl, by the way.

In the history-focused History Bee/Bowl, he won the single-player Bee twice in a row and, playing by himself, finished fifth place in the (team) Bowl this year and eight last year.

In the all subject NAQT HSNCT (High School National Championship Tournament) last year, he finished third, losing only to the second, fourth, and fifth place teams. https://www.naqt.com/stats/team-perform ... _id=115133 is the link to his team's performance. Notice how he gets almost everything for his team. He seems not to have played two years ago, nor did he play in the other nationals.

In other words, Jakob knows his academics, and I'm not surprised to see him do this well if he was able to get non-quizbowl stuff (if there was any).
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

It's too bad he'll be spending the next four years in East Lansing instead of Columbus. On the other hand, it sounds like his knowledge overlaps a lot with Chris Ray's anyway, so it won't be as big of a loss.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TriviaBug wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm
I always thought that Steve Perry (IMO the best quizzer this side of the pond) is the best bet to break the stranglehold of the Europeans. But looks like America now has a new star.

After last years' event, I was telling Sven that a score of 140 might be achievable if one has enough time and willingness. Keeping aside the other-worldly scores of the great Kevin Ashman and Pat Gibson, 140 is something to be proud of at any age. But 142 after graduating high school? Mind boggling! I will be following the trajectory of Jakob Myers in the years to come.
Plus I woke up with a backache, so I am feeling obsolete all over.
rpg
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rpg »

AlphaDummy wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:17 pm
boson wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:19 am

Our proctor (Madison, WI venue) returned the tests less the cover sheets to those who so desired after he had entered our scores (yeah, you bet I took him up on it). In fact, I seem to recall somewhere among the fine print on the cover sheet that our tests would/could be returned to us this way.

I will be tied up most of today, but if you have questions about some of the, uhh, questions, please PM me.
My friend said he got his questions back in past years. Alas, I forgot to ask the proctor before he left.

If you have the time and inclination to scan them that would be superb; otherwise, I imagine I can wait to purchase them (although something about buying the questions for a quiz I took rubs me the wrong wrong).
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

rpg wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:54 am My friend said he got his questions back in past years. Alas, I forgot to ask the proctor before he left.

If you have the time and inclination to scan them that would be superb; otherwise, I imagine I can wait to purchase them (although something about buying the questions for a quiz I took rubs me the wrong wrong).
PM sent.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

One reason they sell them is that it's their work and it's a lot of hard work to make a question set. Just a thought.
TriviaBug
Valued Contributor

Post by TriviaBug »

Austin Powers wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:17 am
TriviaBug wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Plus I woke up with a backache, so I am feeling obsolete all over.
Nothing like the new kid in town lighting a fire under the old pro. Look forward to seeing you hit 180 next year and best those pesky Europeans.
My website and app - http://triviabug.com