Monday, June 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 5, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD TRANSPORTATION

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
It traverses hundreds of bridges, the longest stretching 2 miles across the Amur River

Joe Nguyen: 9200-4001=5199
Buzz Newberry: 1800-1800=0
Chantelle Schofield: 13200+5202=18402 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Trans-Siberian Railroad (Joe – TGV) (Buzz – Orient Express)
Not mentioned: Trans-Siberian Railway would be perfectly fine as well.

Daily Doubles
Buzz: 1600-1000
Chantelle: 5200+2000
Joe: 6000-2000

Coryats
Joe: 11200
Buzz: 2800
Chantelle: 12400

Combined: 26,400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The $2000 clue that ended the DJ! round turned the potential 11,200 apiece for the FJ! round into the less interesting 9200 to 13200 in Chantelle’s favor.

Chantelle hit her lone DD and solved the FJ! clue while the gentlemen each missed their one DD play and also missed the FJ! clue. No soup for you? No TOC for Joe.

I was so lost on the FJ! clue that I did not even figure out that train was the way to go. It did not matter as I know I would not have processed Amur River to Russia. I thought perhaps India area and not even making it a kind of transportation I wrote Ganges River.

When Alex went to shake Chantelle’s hand at the end of the game she made the unusual move to step in front of position 3 to meet Alex. If that has happened previously I can’t recall it.

For the list of names relating to occupation, Buzz the drug & DNA lab owner gets a spot?
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
artshep
Contributor

Post by artshep »

Had trouble with the wording of this clue:

CHERRY COUNTY, WHICH BORDERS SOUTH DAKOTA ON THE NORTH, IS THIS STATE'S LARGEST COUNTY, EXCEEDING CONNECTICUT IN AREA.

I read the clue as referring to South Dakota's northern border, not Cherry County's northern border. Are there any grammatical guidelines to determining what "on the North" is modifying in this sentence?

In context, I probably should have known by the value of the clue that they were not referring to the easy answer of North Dakota.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

artshep wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 pm Had trouble with the wording of this clue:

CHERRY COUNTY, WHICH BORDERS SOUTH DAKOTA ON THE NORTH, IS THIS STATE'S LARGEST COUNTY, EXCEEDING CONNECTICUT IN AREA.

I read the clue as referring to South Dakota's northern border, not Cherry County's northern border. Are there any grammatical guidelines to determining what "on the North" is modifying in this sentence?

In context, I probably should have known by the value of the clue that they were not referring to the easy answer of North Dakota.
Seems pretty clear to me and I had no problem with it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Middle dude left out AND in "Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition." Reversed.

LOL, I liveBlogged the above. I couldn't wait to post it.

If you've spent any time studying a county outline map of the United States, you've noticed Cherry County. It really stands out. Its county seat is Valentine.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
artshep
Contributor

Post by artshep »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm
artshep wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:34 pm Had trouble with the wording of this clue:

[s] Ok...congratulations on that and thanks for the helpful response. [/s]
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Was there a weird moment during the Q&A where the camera went out of focus for a sec or was that just me?

My precalls were Autobahn, Concorde Jet, and Orient Express. For a moment I thought Autobahn might work, but then the Trans Siberian Railroad popped into my head and made sense so I got it. After the correct answer was reveal, I tested myself to see if I could remember the Eastern terminus of the railway since I missed it last time it came up on Jeopardy, and "Vladivostok" somehow stuck.

I was glad Alex clarified that War Machine was acceptable since I couldn't remember his real name.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

Generally a bad idea to start a tricky wordplay category with the bottom clue. Whether or not I could've figured that clue out going top-to-bottom, there was no way I was going to get that without understanding how the category worked beforehand.
dhkendall wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:59 pm

I had trouble parsing the clue as well. Rereading it here, I'm able to figure out what was being asked, but it's an awkwardly worded clue.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

He so clearly left out the "and" that I was surprised they didn't neg him immediately.

That ****ing organ again. Thankfully I got them from the clues themselves because the music was butchered.

Hundreds of bridges? Gotta be a train. A train that long? Trans Siberian. Good to have an instaget after multiple blunders last week.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I misread the clue the same way (if "misread" is even the right word, since I still find it ambiguous even now).
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Pre-called the Trans-Siberian Railway, thinking of how the longest train ride in the world actually branches off the railway and into China.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I knew exactly where the Amur River is...and still couldn't pull it!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

By any chance, were any of you like me, and were you aided on FJ by knowledge of big cats?

I knew that the "Amur leopard" is a type of leopard that lives in Northern Asia.

Coincidentally, my first two precalls based just on the category were "El Al Airlines" and "Trans-Siberian Railway".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had the Pan American Highway.

I understood the Nebraska clue in the game but it is confusing reading it here.

Pretty cool they had Hawkeye and LOTM in the game.

Washington was an odd miss for the state starting with W but used to start with Ou.

Congratulations on your nice run, Joe.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I also had the Pan-American Highway.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:39 pm That ****ing organ again. Thankfully I got them from the clues themselves because the music was butchered.
That organ is awesome and I hope we see more of it.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

I immediately said "end around" for the football question, so I was surprised when it was negged. I expected a reversal, but then I realized that the play had the RB taking the ball around the line and not a TE or WR. I'm not I've ever actually heard a commentator refer to a play as an "end run". Normally it would be called "running it outside". I wonder if the judges anticipated "end around" as a possible wrong answer ahead of time.