Monday, June 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 12, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm I know I’ve read something about it (some kind of J! pet peeve perhaps) about contestants who say “Cooba” and Tucker did that for the Puig clue.
Did my ears deceive me or did he also do something similar with Peru?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Had no trouble at all with the FJ parsing. :geek:
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

heppm01 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:49 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:23 pm I know I’ve read something about it (some kind of J! pet peeve perhaps) about contestants who say “Cooba” and Tucker did that for the Puig clue.
He kind of reminded me of this: http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 9970?snl=1
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

For me, FJ was a total guess. I had one island wrong, but I had the countries right, so yay.

Sicily is an island, right? How is it not one of the two largest? I need a map, I guess.
Teems with quiet fun.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

immaf wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:41 pm Sicily is an island, right? How is it not one of the two largest?
It is, being #1.
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Yes, he did. But he mentioned his wife by name, and it was Spanish/Hispanic - Pilar, maybe? I don't remember exactly. He also pronounced that with an accent, so it may well be that he is used to pronouncing Spanish place names correctly. What others perceive as pretentious may simple be entirely natural to him.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

nlw44 wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:48 pm
Yes, he did. But he mentioned his wife by name, and it was Spanish/Hispanic - Pilar, maybe? I don't remember exactly. He also pronounced that with an accent, so it may well be that he is used to pronouncing Spanish place names correctly. What others perceive as pretentious may simple be entirely natural to him.
Yes, he said his wife's name was Pilar.
I also say Coobah for Cuba as well as Kaybeck for Québec. It's more like how it is pronounced there.

You know what pisses me off though is when people pronounce Quinoa like Keenwah instead of like kee-noah?
Ex. she says Quinoa at 20 seconds into this spanish language video talking about the benefits of quinoa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDtx1TNKB2I
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Giannid wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:00 pm
You know what pisses me off though is when people pronounce Quinoa like Keenwah instead of like kee-noah?
Ex. she says Quinoa at 20 seconds into this spanish language video talking about the benefits of quinoa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDtx1TNKB2I
Well, it could be worse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TobvW77tuwQ
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:08 pm Since her name came up, I can't resist. From an article by Jonathan Goldsmith, Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man in the World:

I had been hungry, too. I had a lovely dalliance with one of Groucho Marx’s wives. And the wives of two congressmen (both Republican). I broke the bed of Henry Fonda’s mistress. The most beautiful woman of them all? Tina Louise. She was Ginger, the stranded movie starlet on Gilligan’s Island, the object of millions of men’s fantasies. We’d met at the Actor’s Studio. She had such stamina I was afraid I would have a heart attack. I even thought about my obituary: Unknown actor found dead at young age. Surely I’d be mentioned by name this time, though.

The rest of the article is a hoot as well: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ama-215215
Thank you for sharing this backstory! Amazing how hardscrabble the life of a B movie actor is.

I guessed Italy/Greece. Didn't watch the show today and just read FJ on here. Another TS gone to waste by the 3rd place better. Sigh.

On related topic to the old TV shows, I spent the weekend with 20 and 17 year old nephew/niece and neither had a clue who Don Knotts was. Barney Fife - huh? TAGS? - no help? Even Mr. Farley (?) from 3's Company- nope. Puts us geezers in our place...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

"A" Law (4), Sporting (4), District (4), Different by 1 Letter (2), This/That (2), Lit Mixture (4)
Jean Racine (2), Rocks (3), Foreign (1), "BAD" (4), Strike (4), Iron (2)

Lach Trash: lake, Nero; Daily Double: Massachusetts

I guessed that the islands were Sardinia and Corsica, and that brought Italy and France to my mind since Sardinia and Corsica are administrated by Italy and France, respectively. I know they border each other with a French/Italian Riviera, so it seemed like a good guess to me from that point of view as well.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:08 pm Since her name came up, I can't resist. From an article by Jonathan Goldsmith, Dos Equis' Most Interesting Man in the World:

I had been hungry, too. I had a lovely dalliance with one of Groucho Marx’s wives. And the wives of two congressmen (both Republican). I broke the bed of Henry Fonda’s mistress. The most beautiful woman of them all? Tina Louise. She was Ginger, the stranded movie starlet on Gilligan’s Island, the object of millions of men’s fantasies. We’d met at the Actor’s Studio. She had such stamina I was afraid I would have a heart attack. I even thought about my obituary: Unknown actor found dead at young age. Surely I’d be mentioned by name this time, though.
The fictional Ginger may have been the object of fantasy for the fictional millions, but in real life, I'll wager Dawn Wells was for many more than Tina Louise. It's the Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck syndrome.
I'm smart and I want respect.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,200
52 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Nathaniel Hawthorne (DD), bracket creep, Massachusetts (DD), Agamemnon, Esther

Another Italy/Greece here.

Mary Ann. All day every day.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:28 pm

The rest of the article is a hoot as well: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... ama-215215
Thank you for sharing this backstory! Amazing how hardscrabble the life of a B movie actor is.

I guessed Italy/Greece. Didn't watch the show today and just read FJ on here. Another TS gone to waste by the 3rd place better. Sigh.

On related topic to the old TV shows, I spent the weekend with 20 and 17 year old nephew/niece and neither had a clue who Don Knotts was. Barney Fife - huh? TAGS? - no help? Even Mr. Farley (?) from 3's Company- nope. Puts us geezers in our place...

Furley. Easy FJ but I love geography so that helps. Tough game to watch.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 amThe fictional Ginger may have been the object of fantasy for the fictional millions, but in real life, I'll wager Dawn Wells was for many more than Tina Louise. It's the Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck syndrome.
Ewww. Not judging, bro. But for those of us who don't fantasize about animated children's characters, it's probably more like the Jennifer Marlowe/Bailey Quarters syndrome.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

For that "one letter off" category, do you have to give the two in the right order eg "what is X and Y" but not "what is Y and X?" I got a couple a of them but didn't have a spare second to check if they were in the right order.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:20 am For that "one letter off" category, do you have to give the two in the right order eg "what is X and Y" but not "what is Y and X?" I got a couple a of them but didn't have a spare second to check if they were in the right order.
As long as you get 'em both, you're good. In other categories like RHYME TIME, you need to be more careful, but judges are usually generous if you get all the information in your response

On Cuba, Peru - this is a knowledge game but we're gonna rib the guy for pronouncing the country names the way they're meant to be pronounced? :?
Twitter and JBoard will explode if ever I get on the show because everything about me is pretentious :)

'Co-luhm-bee-uh' bothers me the most because it's actually wrong. I think pronouncing France à l'anglaise 'Frahhns' with a softer A could be considered pretentious, unless you're a Brit

Wonky game (for me) but easy final (for me). Missed 2/3 DDs. 'Native sandstone' took me to the SW and a UT/AZ toss-up (both wrong). I guess Roxbury was the TOM

I thought 17th c. French drama would be a slam dunk (for me) but it turned out to be a nightmare (for me) 'Hélas' tripped me up - went with 'pity' which could work but 'alas' is the more literal translation (didn't like that clue, probably because I flubbed it) :oops:

And Jeopardy! loves to ask about roman emperors by order. I guess this is something to learn cold. 5th Roman emperor + no other information besides an obscure drama reference = Nero? ok
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:56 am And Jeopardy! loves to ask about roman emperors by order. I guess this is something to learn cold. 5th Roman emperor + no other information besides an obscure drama reference = Nero? ok
Yeah, the first five are all pretty famous, you should probably know those.

Augustus
Tiberius
Caligula
Claudius
Nero
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 amThe fictional Ginger may have been the object of fantasy for the fictional millions, but in real life, I'll wager Dawn Wells was for many more than Tina Louise.
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:01 am it's probably more like the Jennifer Marlowe/Bailey Quarters syndrome.
Why would you guys limit yourselves? I chose all four. :oops:
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:01 pm WLT Alaska at $200?
Largest state in area (therefore the only one that could have 571,000 square miles) and among the smallest in population so it has one congressional district.

Also, did anybody else here the one contestant say "Affirm" instead of "Affirmed"? I thought for sure they'd neg her on that.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
BobF

Post by BobF »

Lefty wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 am
The fictional Ginger may have been the object of fantasy for the fictional millions, but in real life, I'll wager Dawn Wells was for many more than Tina Louise. It's the Mickey Mouse/Donald Duck syndrome.
Dawn Wells was Ms. Nevada at one point. The very young Bob liked Ginger better, but switched to Mary Ann when I hit my teens.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!