Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm Tucker finished 0/12 uncovering DDs which can't be easy to do. Cheezguyty: Has anyone had more cracks at finding DDs and had an 0-fer?
I could find no one in the Archive who played in more than four games without ever finding a Daily Double, and only Zack Terrill who also found zero in twelve chances.
Thanks, so unless evidence to the contrary turns up, perhaps Tucker did something unprecedented in regular play.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:Interesting. A "correct" wager from second would have lost Phil the game. I wonder why Becca was so cautious. It seems like the category would be in a library worker's wheelhouse.
zakharov wrote:Hnnnghh. I am not a Wagering Viking but if you're leading going into FJ, get it right, and still lose, something's gone horribly wrong. I'd much rather lose by missing the question than by underbetting.
Even though 'forcing' Phil to get it correct, she still allowed him a chance to win on a tie-breaker if he wagered zero. Like it was going to significantly decrease her chance to win if she wagered 5299 instead of 5300. :?
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

The Talking Mime wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:08 pm Blah blah 1920s author blah blah has ties to Princeton. Unless there's another author that fits that criteria, they're looking for Fitzgerald every time. Surprisingly, that get plus my get yesterday gives me two in a row in regular play for the first time since the first week of May.

I'll leave to the rest of you to dissect those wagers.
Never heard of Arnold Toynbee before FJ,
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Well...it seemed nearly impossible for Tucker to win a 4th game with the way things turned out on this one. To win over $33,000 and beat Rob Liguori was never gonna happen. Unfortunately, that luck just went to Phil to do that. That $33,400 could have gotten Tucker right past Rob Liguori completely. Unfortuantely, Libra's scales tilted Phil the victory by an unprepared bet from Becca and a weird bet by Tucker. Ever since Tucker's win on Friday, the games declined by amount of money won; $23,601-$3,999-$12,399. Thanks to the big jump on Phil's part, the hex has lifted.

You know...this situation reminded me of Eric Vernon's victory on Julie Brannon. Eric went aggro and Julie paid the price. Even Nora Rowally had the same conjuncture that Abigail Myers did. Abigail paid the price when Nora went aggresive on her part.

These kind of situations will bite you in the butt SO HARD that you'll never be able to hear the end of it.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:22 pm You know...this situation reminded me of Eric Vernon's victory on Julie Brannon. Eric went aggro and Julie paid the price. Even Nora Rowally had the same conjuncture that Abigail Myers did. Abigail paid the price when Nora went aggresive on her part.
Huh? Please explain

I don't get Becca's wager at all. Somebody break it down for me please. Phil's wager was awful, but as noted above, it paid off BIGLY, so congrats to him

2/3 DD & FJ - somehow I couldn't get to stroke tonight, but with money on the line, I trust I would've pulled it out

Did surprisingly well on ARMED FORCES and bombed COUNTRY MUSIC as expected

Becca looked like a juggernaut - hot on the buzzer; calm cool and collected; super smart - but she was undone by a timid / defensive / mind boggling final wager. She reminds me of Julia Kite who dominated Cindy Stowell but ultimately lost by not going for the lock game on a late DD. Either woman could have gone on a winning spree IMO. I'm really sad for Becca right now!! :cry:

Not much trash but I picked up blazes in SIMILES and MDD: Adam and Eve
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

zakharov wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm Hnnnghh. I am not a Wagering Viking but if you're leading going into FJ, get it right, and still lose, something's gone horribly wrong. I'd much rather lose by missing the question than by underbetting.
I could understand if you felt you weren't strong in a given subject, but it was "BOOKS & AUTHORS", and she was a librarian for crying out loud! :o

Did anyone else notice how pissed off she was that she refused to shake Alex's hand at the end of the game?
Last edited by Giannid on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm AN ANGEL SAID TO THIS PAIR, "FEAR NOT: FOR BEHOLD I BRING YOU GOOD TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY, WHICH SHALL BE TO ALL PEOPLE"
Wasn't that a line from A Charlie Brown Christmas?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

badgerfellow wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm
What is up with the writers and Bible clues? They constantly get them wrong. It's been a while, I think, since they got one COMPLETELY wrong:

AN ANGEL SAID TO THIS PAIR, "FEAR NOT: FOR BEHOLD I BRING YOU GOOD TIDINGS OF GREAT JOY, WHICH SHALL BE TO ALL PEOPLE"

There is no totally correct response to this. But the correctest response would be "Who are two (out of an unspecified number) of shepherds who were abiding in the fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night?" The accepted (and presumably expected) response of "Who are Mary and Joseph?" is flat out wrong. Honestly, it's not difficult to look these things up now that we all have the internet. How did this clue get written? How did it get by the fact checkers?
I thought the same. Would there even be a time that an angel appeared to them simultaneously or even with a message of good tidings to both? Only time I can think of an angel visiting Joseph was in a dream as a warning of Herod's rage, instructing him to take Mary and Jesus to Egypt.
Your instinct is correct. There is no record of an angel appearing to both Mary and Joseph at the same time. There is not even a single book of the Bible where an angel appears to each of them at separate times.

An angel did appear to Joseph in Matthew 1. The angel told Joseph not to be afraid to take Mary as his wife because the child was conceived by the Holy Spirit. Prior to that, Joseph's intention had been to break off the betrothal, i.e. essentially to divorce her. (In that culture, one did not break engagements lightly.) Later, as you mention, an angel appears to Joseph in a dream. Mary was presumably nearby but not a party to the conversation.

Prior to that event, Luke records that the angel Gabriel had appeared to Mary and given her the heads up that she was about to conceive despite being a virgin.

The most we can say is that, although the angel was not speaking to Joseph and Mary in the quote from the clue, the substance of the quote was passed along to them. Luke says the shepherds "made known [to Mary and Joseph] the saying that had been told them concerning this child."

The thing that really puzzles me about the clue is that it quotes the exact wording. That means the writer actually looked up the quote but failed to check who the quote was being spoken to.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Giannid wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:05 pm Did anyone else notice how pissed off she was that she refused to shake Alex's hand at the end of the game? :mrgreen:
I didn't notice, but Twitter's all over her for it. She and Alex were exchanging a few words - probably about her timid wager - but she didn't look pissed off (to me)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:17 pm It's taken more than one clue and many years, but finally I learned what to do with Princeton author & 1920.
Wish I had. Maybe I'll remember it next time.

Probably not,
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Giannid wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:05 pm I could understand if you felt you weren't strong in a given subject, but it was "BOOKS & AUTHORS", and she was a librarian for crying out loud! :o

Did anyone else notice how pissed off she was that she refused to shake Alex's hand at the end of the game? :mrgreen:
Totally!

Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 pm
Giannid wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:05 pm Did anyone else notice how pissed off she was that she refused to shake Alex's hand at the end of the game? :mrgreen:
I didn't notice, but Twitter's all over her for it. She and Alex were exchanging a few words - probably about her timid wager - but she didn't look pissed off (to me)
Okay, maybe she wasn't pissed off. More like she was so disappointed in herself that she felt she did not deserve to be offered a handshake for a good game!

There was also the point that Alex lectured the contestants before the game started that Tucker had won the last two matches while missing Final Jeopardy, that wagering strategy is important, and to keep that in mind. You would have to think those comments by Alex weighed in on Becca's mind and decision to bet so defensively in spite of it being a subject she should have been very strong in.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:18 pm Totally!
Sorry to have made the comment having missed seeing that.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Giannid wrote:There was also the point that Alex lectured the contestants before the game started that Tucker had won the last two matches while missing Final Jeopardy, that wagering strategy is important, and to keep that in mind. You would have to think those comments by Alex weighed in on Becca's mind and decision to bet so defensively in spite of it being a subject she should have been very strong in.
I thought it was pretty ironic that she made that fatal blunder after Alex's opening remark but I have a hard time believing she let the advice concern her into wagering that way. I suppose it's possible. An equally bad risk was not trimming a dollar off her wager to prevent a tie-breaker if Phil bets zero.

She also could have easily had a crush if she had just power wagered on one or both of her DDs.
Then again, Phil missed a very easy DD that could have canceled that out.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:11 pm
Me either. I don't know where these twits get their ideas. Here's every shot Becca was in from her FJ response to the end.

https://youtu.be/n5vE_ZlIljs

When it's revealed that she lost because she didn't wager enough, she definitely looks like she's swallowed a bitter pill. Anybody who thinks that's inappropriate can kiss my downy tuckus. She recovers immediately and is pleasant and composed from there on out.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 pm When it's revealed that she lost because she didn't wager enough, she definitely looks like she's swallowed a bitter pill. Anybody who thinks that's inappropriate can kiss my downy tuckus. She recovers immediately and is pleasant and composed from there on out.
Just being honest, I would personally have a hard time handling it as gracefully as she did.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

42 right.

1817 (5), Country (3), Armed (4), Design (4), Books (2), "Y" (5)
College (4), Biblical (2), Similes (4), Entertaining (4), Science (1), "STAN" (4)

Lach Trash: blazes; Daily Double: Adam & Eve

Instaget FJ.
Giannid
Contributor

Post by Giannid »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:02 pm Me either. I don't know where these twits get their ideas. Here's every shot Becca was in from her FJ response to the end.

https://youtu.be/n5vE_ZlIljs

When it's revealed that she lost because she didn't wager enough, she definitely looks like she's swallowed a bitter pill. Anybody who thinks that's inappropriate can kiss my downy tuckus. She recovers immediately and is pleasant and composed from there on out.
Thanks for the video. I watched Jeopardy with a poor quality stream over the internet on watch.ustvnow.com. I didn't catch Becca shaking Alex's hand, and then you see Alex talking to her with his hand extended. That is what looked to me that Alex was offering his hand to shake and she didn't want to. This was due to the poor quality of the stream.
Again, I am sorry for not seeing Becca's handshake, and commenting otherwise.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I'm terrible at naming colleges, was there any TOM in the USC manure prank clue (the top row one), or was it just something you had to know?

I ran "Ends in Y," then diluted my score with a few bad long-shots in "Stan."

What was the deal with Tucker's wager? Did the number have some kind of significance since he knew he wasn't playing to win?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
jgroub
Contributor

Post by jgroub »

zakharov wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm Hnnnghh. I am not a Wagering Viking but if you're leading going into FJ, get it right, and still lose, something's gone horribly wrong. I'd much rather lose by missing the question than by underbetting.
That is exactly right, Zakharov. You will kick yourself the rest of your life if this happens. If you lose because you got the question wrong, fine. Or maybe, "fine". But to underbet? Not fine.