Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm
they probably would've used Marty Robbins as the TOM.
NHO Marty Robbins
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Debb had some great gets and some of them I NHO. Great comeback in DD.
I credit my FJ get to the recent test when I looked at recent Oscar winners. I have NHO redmayne before that.

I guess more work for cheesyty.. did we ever have 2 category runs and not a win?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

User avatar
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:59 am

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Woppy T » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:12 pm

I was rooting for Sergio Garcia to win.

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 418
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:32 pm

no chance at FJ, would've bet 0.

User avatar
Category 13
Wagering Viking
Posts: 1215
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:43 pm
Location: This side of paradise

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Category 13 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 pm

xxaaaxx wrote: The wagering...yeesh. If they had all gotten it right, the usual all-in suicide wager beats that ridiculous 5900 wager, so of course she gets away with it. If he had recognized the two-thirds and stood pat we'd have seen a tiebreaker, so of course he bets some useless in-between number
While I also hated Phil's wager to secure second place instead of the win on a TS, I'd have given Debb props for a savvy wager if she trimmed 900 off of hers for an even five grand.
Last edited by Category 13 on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 pm

In 9-letter words, I had indelible, wavered, then switched to permanent, which fits and would prob have to be accepted

LT: Charles Duhig, The Power of 'Habit', MDD: muckraker

FJ: ugh, also put DiCaprio. Russell Crowe, born 1964, not a great guess, but good for Phil for putting something down

would Croatian and Aleutian be accepted for Croat and Aleut?

Congrats to Deb, slow and steady til the end. Kudos to Jacob for hanging in there and also to Phil who played like a boss in the Jeopardy! round

Never read Harry Potter or seen any of the films, so I'm hopeless when this stuff comes up. I said "hat" for "sorting hat" - whatever that is
Last edited by morbeedo on Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

QuizGeek75
Contributor
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by QuizGeek75 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:44 pm

I knew all the clues to the Charlie Brown category and it pays to be a fan of the Peanuts comic strips. Good thing I studied journalism in college because I knew the correct response on the Daily Double that Phil missed in 9 Letter Words. I instantly knew Eddie Redmayne right off the bat because he was born on January 6, 1982.
Just a person who loves game shows.

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm

I got this FJ, and I credit my habit of composing trivia questions to amuse my friends.

I don't quite have the list of Oscar-winning performers memorized in order the way some people do, but I've previously taken note of things like: Which Oscar winners won for portraying real-life famous people? Which Oscar winners were especially young or especially old?

Trivia question: Redmayne was the first person born in the 1980s to win an Oscar specifically for Best Actor, but who was the first person born in the 1980s to win any Oscar?

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:52 pm

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm
they probably would've used Marty Robbins as the TOM.
NHO Marty Robbins
Robbins is mentioned in the archive twelve times, and although he actually had many other hits, nine of the clues were about "El Paso." Not since 1989 has he been a correct response, though (as opposed to being mentioned in the clue, which happened as recently as 2016).

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

User avatar
morbeedo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 618
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 pm

skullturf wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm
Trivia question: Redmayne was the first person born in the 1980s to win an Oscar specifically for Best Actor, but who was the first person born in the 1980s to win any Oscar?
Anne Hathaway?

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 pm

morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 pm
skullturf wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm
Trivia question: Redmayne was the first person born in the 1980s to win an Oscar specifically for Best Actor, but who was the first person born in the 1980s to win any Oscar?
Anne Hathaway?
Excellent guess, but there's someone earlier

User avatar
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:19 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cheezguyty » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm

doihavetoreally wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:04 pm
I guess more work for cheesyty.. did we ever have 2 category runs and not a win?
I found eleven games in the Archive where a contestant ran multiple categories and lost, most recently on October 19, 2016.

skullturf wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 pm
morbeedo wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 pm
skullturf wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm
Trivia question: Redmayne was the first person born in the 1980s to win an Oscar specifically for Best Actor, but who was the first person born in the 1980s to win any Oscar?
Anne Hathaway?
Excellent guess, but there's someone earlier
SpoilerShow
Adele?

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:08 pm

cheezguyty wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm
SpoilerShow
Adele?
Earlier

User avatar
Wheatley
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 195
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 pm

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Wheatley » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:18 pm

Almost ran Charlie Brown, but said "Susie" instead of "Sally" for his sister. I might have run 9-letter-words - would you accept "permanent" for "Impossible to erase or wash away, such as certain inks?"

Guessed Sean Penn for Milk in FJ, both decades wrong, go figure

Jacob didn't look like he was having a lot of fun.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

cmac24
Contributor
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:13 am

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by cmac24 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:21 pm

skullturf wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm
I got this FJ, and I credit my habit of composing trivia questions to amuse my friends.

I don't quite have the list of Oscar-winning performers memorized in order the way some people do, but I've previously taken note of things like: Which Oscar winners won for portraying real-life famous people? Which Oscar winners were especially young or especially old?

Trivia question: Redmayne was the first person born in the 1980s to win an Oscar specifically for Best Actor, but who was the first person born in the 1980s to win any Oscar?
SpoilerShow
Anna Paquin
I fell into the DiCaprio trap but I misheard/misread the clue ignoring the "born in" part of the clue.

User avatar
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:34 am
Location: Miami

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by skullturf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 pm

cmac24 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:21 pm
SpoilerShow
Anna Paquin
Correct!

User avatar
JayK33
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 376
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:10 pm

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JayK33 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:29 pm

I knew who it was, I knew the last name, but the first name just didn't come to me. Foolishly I went with Elliot Redmayne, while of course the last name alone would have been accepted.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:53 pm

skullturf wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:56 pm
I credit my habit of composing trivia questions to amuse my friends.
You misspelled aggrivate. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:54 pm

skullturf wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:24 pm
cmac24 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:21 pm
SpoilerShow
Anna Paquin
Correct!
SpoilerShow
I met someone once who used to change her diapers.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Thursday, June 15, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:55 pm

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm
dhkendall wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:02 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:27 pm
they probably would've used Marty Robbins as the TOM.
NHO Marty Robbins
Robbins is mentioned in the archive twelve times, and although he actually had many other hits, nine of the clues were about "El Paso." Not since 1989 has he been a correct response, though (as opposed to being mentioned in the clue, which happened as recently as 2016).

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Well it could really be any country singer, how are we supposed to tell them apart?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], boson, Cat Hammarskjold and 19 guests