How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In

Re: How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Post by triviawayne » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 am

ElendilPickle wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am
Wheatley wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 pm
I am familiar with getting in shape for Jeopardy. There are enough areas of general knowledge that a player can know to target to develop a reasonable knowledge base in order to be competitive.
How then, does one prepare for Millionaire?

While Jeopardy involves general knowledge, millionaire is extremely specific.
How do you study for millionaire and how do you know what specific knowledge to focus on?
Would especially like to hear from people who have been on the show.
Thoughts?
Are there any restrictions for being on Millionaire if you've been on Jeopardy before?
No, just that there has to be a year between appearances. A number of us have been on both shows.
Read this and a weird thought crossed my mind...you appeared on more games of WWTBAM than Jeopardy. :P
Total game show career losings = $171,522

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:35 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:54 am
ElendilPickle wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:48 am
Wheatley wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 pm
I am familiar with getting in shape for Jeopardy. There are enough areas of general knowledge that a player can know to target to develop a reasonable knowledge base in order to be competitive.
How then, does one prepare for Millionaire?

While Jeopardy involves general knowledge, millionaire is extremely specific.
How do you study for millionaire and how do you know what specific knowledge to focus on?
Would especially like to hear from people who have been on the show.
Thoughts?
Are there any restrictions for being on Millionaire if you've been on Jeopardy before?
No, just that there has to be a year between appearances. A number of us have been on both shows.
Read this and a weird thought crossed my mind...you appeared on more games of WWTBAM than Jeopardy. :P
Yes. Yes, I did. :)

Bartleby
Contributor

Post by Bartleby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 pm

I'm considering a trip to Las Vegas to audition for Millionaire, but I'm a little confused about the process. The listed audition dates on the Millionaire site (http://millionairetv.dadt.com/las-vegas-auditions/) have Las Vegas down for July 5th-8th, 12th-15th, and the 18th, but their ticket page (http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/Wh ... illionaire) states:

"Everyone who attends a taping will have the opportunity to take the test and audition for a shot at playing for the $1 million prize this season!"

What is special about these dates versus auditioning at a taping? I'd appreciate it if anyone can make this less opaque.
I would prefer not to.

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Bartleby wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 pm
I'm considering a trip to Las Vegas to audition for Millionaire, but I'm a little confused about the process. The listed audition dates on the Millionaire site (http://millionairetv.dadt.com/las-vegas-auditions/) have Las Vegas down for July 5th-8th, 12th-15th, and the 18th, but their ticket page (http://on-camera-audiences.com/shows/Wh ... illionaire) states:

"Everyone who attends a taping will have the opportunity to take the test and audition for a shot at playing for the $1 million prize this season!"

What is special about these dates versus auditioning at a taping? I'd appreciate it if anyone can make this less opaque.
One is while you're there to see a taping, the other is strictly to audition, nothing more.

Bartleby
Contributor

Post by Bartleby » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:42 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 pm
One is while you're there to see a taping, the other is strictly to audition, nothing more.
Okay, I'm still somewhat puzzled why they would go to the trouble of having separate auditions in the same building on days when they have tapings scheduled.
I would prefer not to.

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:11 am

Bartleby wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:42 pm
triviawayne wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:29 pm
Okay, I'm still somewhat puzzled why they would go to the trouble of having separate auditions in the same building on days when they have tapings scheduled.
part of it is because they are there anyway, and the other part is to fill out the contestant pool.

During a taping, it's mostly people who are there that just want to see a tv show taped, or they're fans of the show with no expectations of getting on the show. In NYC, there might be three people who pass the test out of 150 at a taping; in Vegas, they might not get any. I've been in NYC when I was the only one who passed in the audience.

At an audition separate from a taping, it draws people who like trivia and feel they can pass the test and get on the show. About 15% of people in these auditions pass the test.

Bartleby
Contributor

Post by Bartleby » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:58 am

triviawayne wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:11 am
part of it is because they are there anyway, and the other part is to fill out the contestant pool.

During a taping, it's mostly people who are there that just want to see a tv show taped, or they're fans of the show with no expectations of getting on the show. In NYC, there might be three people who pass the test out of 150 at a taping; in Vegas, they might not get any. I've been in NYC when I was the only one who passed in the audience.

At an audition separate from a taping, it draws people who like trivia and feel they can pass the test and get on the show. About 15% of people in these auditions pass the test.
Thank you very much for the low down!
I would prefer not to.