How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

I am familiar with getting in shape for Jeopardy. There are enough areas of general knowledge that a player can know to target to develop a reasonable knowledge base in order to be competitive.
How then, does one prepare for Millionaire?

While Jeopardy involves general knowledge, millionaire is extremely specific.
How do you study for millionaire and how do you know what specific knowledge to focus on?
Would especially like to hear from people who have been on the show.
Thoughts?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
alietr
Site Admin

Re: How does one study for Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Post by alietr »

I don't think there's much you can do except watch the game religiously so you get a feel for the questions, and continue to pay attention to the world around you. I don't think there's much else you can do specifically.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Used to be able to cram to a lesser degree than Jeopardy because in the Regis version they asked about classic trivia for the most part. So you could go over presidents, geography, literature, etc. When I got the call, I picked up a People Almanac. Nowadays they ask mostly minutia, stuff you can't and don't study for.

Short answer, in the current iteration, study is worthless.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:29 pm I don't think there's much you can do except watch the game religiously so you get a feel for the questions, and continue to pay attention to the world around you. I don't think there's much else you can do specifically.
Golf wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:33 pm Used to be able to cram to a lesser degree than Jeopardy because in the Regis version they asked about classic trivia for the most part. So you could go over presidents, geography, literature, etc. When I got the call, I picked up a People Almanac. Nowadays they ask mostly minutia, stuff you can't and don't study for.

Short answer, in the current iteration, study is worthless.
Thats the same feeling ive been getting - that study is worthless.
Based on your viewing, are there subjects you think they focus on?
leszekp
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by leszekp »

One thing you can do is have someone quiz you on questions from previous shows (available on the WWTBAM Bored), so that you can get practice in working through all the answers, and figuring out the correct one. Helped me quite a bit - I had a tendency to jump to the first reasonable answer I heard, ignoring the correct later choice. This practice can help you learn to evaluate all the answers, and find the most likely one by process of elimination. Doesn't always work (cf. my $100k question), but it can stop you from making stupid mistakes.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I agree that there isn't a good way to study for Millionaire, though Leszek gave you some excellent suggestions. Read the question carefully (read it aloud if you need to), try to stay somewhat current with pop culture, and hope like crazy that you tape during TCONA so the audience will be helpful.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Part of the reason I suggested watching the show is that gameplay is important. Knowing when to use which lifelines, getting a sense of which questions you can puzzle through, and which ones you just plain don't know. Leszek is right; go through the questions at the Bored. The more of those you have under your belt, the more you will get the feel for their questions.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

I read through the Bored archives as much as I could and learned what kind of questions they asked. A lot of questions rely on context clues and logically eliminating choices. One thing the producers stress is that the answer must satisfy all parts of the question, so look for clues within the question.

That being said, I lost on a 3 word question with no context clues provided. Guess I should've watched the PGA Tournament last year.

*edit: I also downloaded the Trivia Flashcard app for Android that has been mentioned on this board. It was nice to help build confidence on Pavlovs. Another good tool is Sporcle.
mystcmage
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mystcmage »

I don't think studying for the 2 shows is all that different.
Millionaire seems to include more pop culture, but I see the same Pavlovs pop up in both.
My Trivia Flashcards include the Bored questions, so it should be helpful.
Now that I've eliminated most of the obvious formatting errors, I should upload a new version to the Play store.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

kerryoakie wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:49 am I read through the Bored archives as much as I could and learned what kind of questions they asked. A lot of questions rely on context clues and logically eliminating choices. One thing the producers stress is that the answer must satisfy all parts of the question, so look for clues within the question.

That being said, I lost on a 3 word question with no context clues provided. Guess I should've watched the PGA Tournament last year.

*edit: I also downloaded the Trivia Flashcard app for Android that has been mentioned on this board. It was nice to help build confidence on Pavlovs. Another good tool is Sporcle.
By any chance would this happen to be the baltusrol question? Fwiw I went with Scottish castle as well thinking balmoral, therefore baltusrol.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

ihavejeoprosy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 pm I am familiar with getting in shape for Jeopardy. There are enough areas of general knowledge that a player can know to target to develop a reasonable knowledge base in order to be competitive.

How do you study for millionaire and how do you know what specific knowledge to focus on?
Thoughts?
Are you going on the show soon?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

ihavejeoprosy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:43 am
kerryoakie wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:49 am I read through the Bored archives as much as I could and learned what kind of questions they asked. A lot of questions rely on context clues and logically eliminating choices. One thing the producers stress is that the answer must satisfy all parts of the question, so look for clues within the question.

By any chance would this happen to be the baltusrol question? Fwiw I went with Scottish castle as well thinking balmoral, therefore baltusrol.
Yup, 46% of the audience also thought it was a Scottish castle, so it's OK. However, I'm now the proud owner of two "2016 PGA Championship Baltusrol" coozies, thanks to my coworker with a sense of humor. I'll never forget.
Golf

Post by Golf »

kerryoakie wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm Yup, 46% of the audience also thought it was a Scottish castle, so it's OK. However, I'm now the proud owner of two "2016 PGA Championship Baltusrol" coozies, thanks to my coworker with a sense of humor. I'll never forget.
I missed this, as a golfer I'd be curious to see the question transcript and when the show was taped for current event purposes.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 pm
kerryoakie wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm Yup, 46% of the audience also thought it was a Scottish castle, so it's OK. However, I'm now the proud owner of two "2016 PGA Championship Baltusrol" coozies, thanks to my coworker with a sense of humor. I'll never forget.
I missed this, as a golfer I'd be curious to see the question transcript and when the show was taped for current event purposes.
It was a very short question: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... al#p248536
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:08 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 pm
It was a very short question: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... al#p248536
Thanks. Yeah, that's not the friendliest of questions. For what it's worth, Baltusrol is one of the 10 most famous golf courses in the country having hosted multiple major championships over the years in addition to the 2016 PGA. So it's certainly not an east coast bias thing.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

Golf wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:00 pm I missed this, as a golfer I'd be curious to see the question transcript and when the show was taped for current event purposes.
The show was taped August 21, 2016. I was in Japan from July 27th-August 11th, so I completely missed the PGA Championship.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

ihavejeoprosy wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:05 pm I am familiar with getting in shape for Jeopardy. There are enough areas of general knowledge that a player can know to target to develop a reasonable knowledge base in order to be competitive.

Thoughts?
Are there any restrictions for being on Millionaire if you've been on Jeopardy before?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm

Thoughts?
Are there any restrictions for being on Millionaire if you've been on Jeopardy before?
Several have done it
Total game show career losings = $171,522
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

You can be on one year after your airdate.
triviawayne wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:40 pm Are you going on the show soon?
I went to the Boston open call so I have my fingers crossed :D
kerryoakie wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm
Yup, 46% of the audience also thought it was a Scottish castle, so it's OK. However, I'm now the proud owner of two "2016 PGA Championship Baltusrol" coozies, thanks to my coworker with a sense of humor. I'll never forget.
Man, thats just harsh. I was annoyed since I dont know too much about golf and missed the question as well.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thoughts?
No, just that there has to be a year between appearances. A number of us have been on both shows.