Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 2816
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:03 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players
Posts: 2816
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:03 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:21 pm

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by theFJguy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:12 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSICAL MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Scholars think this 1810 piano piece was dedicated to Elisabeth Röckel or Therese Malfatti, a student of the composer

Debb Johnson: 9200-5000=4200
Melanie Glassco: 7800-7700=100
Peter Guekguezian: 17600+801=18401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
"Für Elise" (Debb – Moonlight Sonata) (Melanie – Claire de Lune)

Daily Doubles
Peter: minus 400+1000
Melanie: 7000-4000
Debb: 4200+3000

Coryats
Debb: 7400
Melanie: 11800
Peter: 17400

Combined: 36,600

User avatar
MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 6652
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm

After the opening stumper for Indianan Quayle, I sprung the triple trap door since Melanie not knowing it and clamming was just as bad as the Truman & Johnson misses. It turns out I was a little hasty in judging the players since they worked up to a decent 36,600 combined Coryat.

When Debb served up the “GERT” rebound to close the game I was disappointed since that greatly changed the FJ! round dynamics.

Last week I needed a Friday solve to hit 60% for the week and this week I got one to salvage 40% for the week even though I was too chicken to match Peter in placing the umlaut.

I am easily amused and this was my favorite moment (late DJ! round scoreboard spoiler) of the game: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzJUVd ... JaVlE/view

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Golf on my J! channel tonight, so I'll just chime in with instaget. I'm 100% on clues I saw from the June 16th, 2017 episode (after being 0% on the June 15th, 2017 episode).
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:52 pm

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:23 pm

theFJguy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Debb Johnson: 9200-5000=4200
Melanie Glassco: 7800-7700=100
Peter Guekguezian: 17600+801=18401 (New Champ)
Aaaaaaargh! The most basic and simplest situation in Final Jeopardy! wagering is the Crush. I don't know why, but it really bugs me when players get that one wrong.

And this way it's not always the case that my post in a thread indicates a Shore's Conjecture game. --Bob

User avatar
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 440
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:46 am

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Mathew5000 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:40 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm
After the opening stumper for Indianan Quayle, I sprung the triple trap door since Melanie not knowing it and clamming was just as bad as the Truman & Johnson misses.
Presumably she thought it was 50/50 between Quayle and Pence.

Incidentally I wonder whether Peter was thinking of Richard M. Johnson, from Beargrass, Kentucky, which is at least close to Indiana. Andrew and Lyndon would make no sense at all.

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 691
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 pm

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by doihavetoreally » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:50 pm

The start to the game with Veep category set expectations low. However, the players rebounded very well.
It's ok not to know the timeframes of British Kings and queens, but George 3 should not be one of them. Bad miss on DD.
That Cosmo category was 0fer. Expecting some buzz on Twitter.
Someone really really likes Young Frankenstein on the writing team.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

Ironhorse
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Wasn't there an FJ question on Dreyfuss within the last couple of months as well?

I was surprised at the two misses on today's FJ - in the absence of any other clues, the name Elisabeth was rather a giveaway.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1950
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm
Wasn't there an FJ question on Dreyfuss within the last couple of months as well?

I was surprised at the two misses on today's FJ - in the absence of any other clues, the name Elisabeth was rather a giveaway.
Did you take the Central Time Zone online test? That might be why you remember Dreyfus.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Ironhorse
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:55 pm

BobF wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm
Wasn't there an FJ question on Dreyfuss within the last couple of months as well?

I was surprised at the two misses on today's FJ - in the absence of any other clues, the name Elisabeth was rather a giveaway.
Did you take the Central Time Zone online test? That might be why you remember Dreyfus.
After a quick Google search, it was the April 21 FJ. "Published in L’Aurore on January 13, 1898, it caused its author to be convicted of libel." (J'accuse) So not a direct mention of Dreyfuss, but topical.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8170
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:00 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm
After the opening stumper for Indianan Quayle, I sprung the triple trap door since Melanie not knowing it and clamming was just as bad as the Truman & Johnson misses.
Not to mention the "-mandering" TOM that flew over everyone's head. I'm chalking that up to nerves considering these were very early clues and they seemed to find their footing, but, yeah, I started not cheering for anyone for a while.

Also I'm thinking with the non-progressive nature of those etiquette clues and the "tramp stamp" one if Alex became a writer ... :?

Any way I can keep Zola and Dreyfus straight? I knew that clue about the Devil's Island prisoner was about that incident (French, 1890s), but I always get mixed up which was the accused and which was the defender. (I also long have had problems keeping Macbeth and Hamlet straight but I'm starting to get better at that.)

Miserable week of getting FJs, so grateful for this near-instaget.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by badgerfellow » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:55 pm
BobF wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:36 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:00 pm
Wasn't there an FJ question on Dreyfuss within the last couple of months as well?

I was surprised at the two misses on today's FJ - in the absence of any other clues, the name Elisabeth was rather a giveaway.
Did you take the Central Time Zone online test? That might be why you remember Dreyfus.
After a quick Google search, it was the April 21 FJ. "Published in L’Aurore on January 13, 1898, it caused its author to be convicted of libel." (J'accuse) So not a direct mention of Dreyfuss, but topical.
Also add the FJ from the second game of the season: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5403

Plactus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:33 pm

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Plactus » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Mathew5000 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:13 pm
After the opening stumper for Indianan Quayle, I sprung the triple trap door since Melanie not knowing it and clamming was just as bad as the Truman & Johnson misses.
Presumably she thought it was 50/50 between Quayle and Pence.
Yeah, I nearly automatically said Pence off Indiana. Not remembering Pence ever saying anything like that made me consider other options and I got to Quayle.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1471
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:23 pm
theFJguy wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:12 pm
Debb Johnson: 9200-5000=4200
Melanie Glassco: 7800-7700=100
Peter Guekguezian: 17600+801=18401 (New Champ)
Aaaaaaargh! The most basic and simplest situation in Final Jeopardy! wagering is the Crush. I don't know why, but it really bugs me when players get that one wrong.

And this way it's not always the case that my post in a thread indicates a Shore's Conjecture game. --Bob
HAH! When I saw your name earlier, I sure did think there'd be a Shore's game :lol: Not sure what to say about that wager. Her 5900 wager yesterday was terrible as well, but at least I could see the (fawlty) logic; tonight, 5000 wasn't even enough to cover Melanie :roll:

Instaget FJ, Fur Elise was one of my precalls and I had it the second I saw Elisabeth. Kinda shocked it was only 1/3.

"-mandering" + VP, a TS? Toys + MAT and HAS, a TS? Ok then.

WTF was that Cosmo $#*!?

Also, are those of us watching in the 7pm slot getting J! last? Still kinda weird to log on at 7:28 and see 13 replies already :lol:

Ironhorse
Contributor
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36 pm
Also, are those of us watching in the 7pm slot getting J! last? Still kinda weird to log on at 7:28 and see 13 replies already :lol:
Normally I watch at 7 pm, but as it turns out, there's another station in Kansas City that shows it at 3:30. My wife (who is currently out of town) is always watching Dr. Phil at that time so even in the rare event I'm off work that early I'd normally never get to watch that early.

User avatar
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!
Posts: 1340
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 pm
Location: Calvert, Maryland

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Instaget. 45R. LT: Elbridge Gerry, Dan Quayle (IN), Johnny the Human Torch > F4 (Really! AM I AS OLD AS STAN LEE!?!); Heliotrope > Bloodstone; 1663 > Charles II (The Merry Monarch > N&S Carolina) , following the Interregnum after beheading of his dad Charles I in 1649 and subsequent rule by Oliver Cromwell, self-styled 'Lord Protector', an appointment for life (Gee, isn't that just ... another king?!) --> 1660.

IMHO this is a key period of British history that frequently appears and should be in your core get material. Hapy Wknd! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 5558
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Lach Trash: Fantastic Four, Mattel/Hasbro, Dan Quayle, Elbridge Gerry. So of course I get those two but not the guy who's currently VP...

WLT Bangladesh, grapefruit, goose, or A Tale of Two Cities in the top box?

Mary Tyler Moore Show was the only one of those TV shows I even recognized.

That Cosmo category was entirely trash.

NHO Shake n Bake.

Elizabeth -> Elise -> Für Elise? Sure, why not.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 207
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by badgerfellow » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:17 pm
xxaaaxx wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:36 pm
Also, are those of us watching in the 7pm slot getting J! last? Still kinda weird to log on at 7:28 and see 13 replies already :lol:
Normally I watch at 7 pm, but as it turns out, there's another station in Kansas City that shows it at 3:30. My wife (who is currently out of town) is always watching Dr. Phil at that time so even in the rare event I'm off work that early I'd normally never get to watch that early.
I am Central Time Zone this week. Shows are typically on between 330 and 430 Central.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 6883
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Friday, June 16, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 pm

dhkendall wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:00 pm
Any way I can keep Zola and Dreyfus straight? I knew that clue about the Devil's Island prisoner was about that incident (French, 1890s), but I always get mixed up which was the accused and which was the defender. (I also long have had problems keeping Macbeth and Hamlet straight but I'm starting to get better at that.)
Maybe don't think of his as Dreyfus, but Captain Dreyfus?

Also, Zola was nominated for the first two Nobel prizes in literature, so that'll maybe keep him in your head as a writer?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Cat Hammarskjold, Majestic-12 [Bot], Nickaxoclof and 18 guests