Monday, June 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Re: Monday, June 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JyV92 »

Golf wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:12 pm
Well, wrongfully is a subjective statement. Most viewers doesn't have the foggiest clue as to how the game is played and FB is just a subset of that. Fewer still have a clue as to how the game is supposed to be played, and that includes some members of this board and probably you as well. I just wouldn't advise joining a board and start by telling it's members how the game is supposed to be played. Get a feel for the place first, you're not going to be telling us anything we don't already know.

As far as this game goes, none of the three had a shred of a clue on how to properly play the game. For starters, all three were giving full names for answers where just the last name is sufficient. Give the least info possible, fewer words to screw up

While the Hopkins story was good, she didn't know her story wasn't more important than the game itself. It could have been told in just a few lines and gotten the same response. Conversely, TPTB could have edited this or had her shorten the story. She was the typical contestant who had the knowledge but zero clue how to play the game. She guessed, didn't hunt for DD's, don't think she ever changed categories rather just followed somebody else's lead.

All three could have easily dominated this game had they known how to play.
Well, i've played the game enough times to state pretty assuredly that I do know how the game is played.

There are times when you mention the whole name. I have found that if it's getting toward the end of the round and there are still clues up, Alex has a tendency to fill in the whole name which eats time. So, I would often say the whole name toward the end of the round just to be able to clean up the board.

The editors are very capable of shortening stories. They know how much time is available , and they will let it play out in case something funny might happen or Alex has a nice response, and then they edit it. I don't think it cuts into actual "game time." I remember Michael Fox's [thank you, Stefan, FALK's, I hope he forgives me] story live in the tournament of champions regarding his shower curtain. With the back-and-forth with Alex it probably took four minutes or so. It was hysterical. And it would never hit air. But everybody had a lot of fun with it.

Frankly, the producers are thrilled to have someone who can tell a story beyond a quirky travel tale, with a beginning, middle, and end it with a payoff.

I found her story fun and very different. Yes, it rambled a little, but some people who watch the show
are interested in the personas. That's one of the few interesting things on a show like deal or no deal.

Jeremy made a big mistake by ringing in. There was no need to do so because he could've bet zero and then hoped for a tiebreaker if necessary and have no need to know final Jeopardy. Personally, I was shocked that so many of the questions weren't known by the contestants. Jet stream?
And yes I do know the pressure someone is under up there. It's not insurmountable.

Yes, I thought adding junior was a bit much - but it can intimidate opponents and some people play that way.
Last edited by JyV92 on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Also, regarding the daily double where the champion did not phrase the clue in the form of a question:

That particular daily double took place during double jeopardy. The rule is that Alex can prompt for a question form during the first round. During double jeopardy, he may not prompt. That's why it was not allowed. Had it been during the first round, Alex could've said phrasing.

If someone else has already posted this information on this long thread, hooray. We agree.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

This game kind of reminded me of Survivor: Gabon; a trainwreck strategics-wise, but highly entertaining to watch.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Actually, I had my own pedantic reason I guess for posting.

I can see producers accepting Prague's river as the Moldau because the German name is more widely known from Smetana's tone poem. But the name has officially been Vltava since 1918 except for the years of Nazi occupation. In the original titles of Smetana's Má Vlast, the movement is called Vltava. So if it's a triple stumper, Alex should call the river by its name, Vltava (it's not like the Labe which becomes Elbe in Germany)

English doesn't really have a dog in this hunt. There are some places where the English have their own name which is different than the local name. Some examples are Ghent (Fr.Gand, Flemish Gent) Antwerp (Anvers/Antwerpen) Padua (Padova although German also Padua) Lyons (Fr.Lyon) and the disappearing Marseilles (Marseille). But Prague like French Prague is fine and accepted (Praha/Prag) but no strong connection to Moldau. I expected Vltava (Also Accept Moldau).

My issue.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

JyV92 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 pm I remember Michael Fox's story live in the tournament of champions regarding his shower curtain.
Falk, not Fox.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

JyV92 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 pm Also, regarding the daily double where the champion did not phrase the clue in the form of a question:

That particular daily double took place during double jeopardy. The rule is that Alex can prompt for a question form during the first round. During double jeopardy, he may not prompt. That's why it was not allowed. Had it been during the first round, Alex could've said phrasing.

If someone else has already posted this information on this long thread, hooray. We agree.
I believe it's been established that on ANY daily double, even in the first round, you must remember proper phrasing and will not be prompted. I don't have a citation for this but from my years on the board, I'm pretty sure this is consistently applied.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 pm
JyV92 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:06 pm Also, regarding the daily double where the champion did not phrase the clue in the form of a question:

I believe it's been established that on ANY daily double, even in the first round, you must remember proper phrasing and will not be prompted. I don't have a citation for this but from my years on the board, I'm pretty sure this is consistently applied.
Prepare to be proven wrong as soon a I (or someone else more adept) can run the right archive search...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:35 pm

Prepare to be proven wrong as soon a I (or someone else more adept) can run the right archive search...
Ooh I'm excited! How sure are you? Would you bet your life?

I should note that I won't be surprised at all if you come back with a 1987 game where Alex prompted for phrasing on a first round DD, what I should have said was that I believe it is consistently applied in recent years, though I'm certainly anxious to be proven wrong.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 pm

I should note that I won't be surprised at all if you come back with a 1987 game where Alex prompted for phrasing on a first round DD, what I should have said was that I believe it is consistently applied in recent years, though I'm certainly anxious to be proven wrong.
Tempted...I'm sure I remember seeing one that qualifies since I've started rewatching (which would've been 2009/10) though I'm starting to have doubts..
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,000
41 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Floyd Mayweather, Jr., FBI (DD), flint, 15th Century (DD), English, Yardbird, fog, jet stream, cyclone

That was, um, interesting.

I think being a DFW resident hurt more than helped on this FJ! I went with Southwest even though the year seemed early, but American would have been my second guess. I have never associated the Delta Airlines name with the Mississippi Delta.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:54 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:40 pm

Tempted...I'm sure I remember seeing one that qualifies since I've started rewatching (which would've been 2009/10) though I'm starting to have doubts..
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=851 In 2006 a non-question J! DD response was accepted and then reversed.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:59 pm
TomFromMD wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:48 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:37 pm Get yourselves a massive floral hair accessory and maybe you'll get picked!
There might be something to that - check out tonight's contestants.
Two floral hair accessories in one week! What are the odds?! Now, if one of them were a blue rose, I'd be very intrigued...
I Just saw the Tuesday game! How cool. I wonder if the contestants have conspired to make it a thing this week. Staying tuned.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Hui, I think that might be the worst game ever.

I instantly got Delta when I saw Shreveport and spent the rest of the think music wondering if I could get away with drawing a triangle (Greek letter capital delta) for my answer.

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.