Monday, June 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

VicGChad07
Contributor

Re: Monday, June 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by VicGChad07 »

NoWhammies10 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:08 pm Coryat: 18,400
28 R, 4 W
FJ!: :( (I had American based on the Dallas part of the clue, their hub is DFW)

I'm surprised they didn't take "golden lab" for "yellow lab". While the breed is "yellow", I've heard "golden" enough times to where it ought to count, especially in a pictorial category like that.

Shame about the phrasing neg on the DD. If he had said "Would that be..." instead of "That would be...", TPTB would take it, no?

All in all, this was a WEIRD game.
If it's in question form, it would be accepted. Ken Jennings had a lot of fun with that "question form" loophole, e.g. "What are the munchies, man?", "What be ebonics?", etc. There are also some instances where the correct response is already a question, such as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? and British rock band "[The] Who?".

I've been banned wrongfully by Facebook staff, but I can tell you that there are gonna be some angry comments on JEOPARDY!'s Facebook page, like "ARGH YOU SHOULD HAVE GIVEN HIM CREDIT FOR THAT RESPONSE BECAUSE YOU LET OTHERS SLIDE WITHOUT PUTTING IT IN THE FORM OF A QEUSTION [sic]".

My standard response to such complaints is this:
"Short version: PULL YOUR HEAD OUT -- YOU'LL HEAR BETTER.
"Medium version: Turn up your volume -- sometimes, you can hear contestants faintly starting their phrasing before the audio mixers turn the microphone on.
"Long version: In the Jeopardy! Round, if you forget to phrase your response in the form of a question, we will gently prod you with no penalty; just remember to phrase it in the form of a question next time, though.
"Extra-long version: In the Double Jeopardy! Round, we cannot provide you any assistance in phrasing your response in the form of a question. You have to be careful, or else it will cost you. Don't blurt out responses; think about them."
[huh huh huh he said "extra-long"]
VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

mdude04 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:38 pm I fell for the Southwest trap. Very tricky wording in the clue, using Dallas as the anchor city, since that's where Southwest is based. I would have no sense of when any of the "legacy" airlines (Southwest qualifies as one, no?) were created so the year didn't help.

Ironic since I pre-called Delta as they are my preferred airline :P
When Alex is reading the clues, he will stress certain words; the stressing of certain words helps lead players to the correct response.

No trickiness there.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
doihavetoreally wrote:
Didn't Peter gave a wrong response to fall to 3600 in the first place? Peter dodged a game today. He did everything to lose the game.
All three players missed it. After clue 29 it was:
Peter: 4400
Jeremy: 7200
Barbara (long-winded story teller): 2600

Peter missed first. It would be cool if he did it on purpose to try to set up the possible tie scenario. Jeremy missed second to lose his tie-lock and Barbara had the third incorrect guess.
It was a very fitting ending to that dreadful game.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

That was a total neg-baity FJ, given DFW's long-time status as AA's biggest hub and (as has been noted above) Delta having long been synonymous with Atlanta. (I knew that Southwest, which is also Dallas-based, wasn't founded until around 1970). Paging MarkBarrett: Requesting a poll question for those of us who went with American Airlines.

ETA: Delta has been based in Atlanta since 1941. American used to have its corporate offices in NYC before moving to Fort Worth in 1979, and it originated from the merger of more than 80 small airlines in 1930 and appears to have its original roots in Missouri; but I don't think it would be reasonable to expect J! contestants to know those facts about it to rule it out.

I had Vltava for the river in Prague, which was equally as correct as Moldau (which is its German name).

Congrats to Peter on pulling out a very unlikely win to become a 2xer. Also, kudos to him for continuing to go big on DD's after his initial TDD miss (and after his heartbreaking phrasing-based miss on the second one).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Leander wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:07 pm I knew it couldn't be Southwest, which I knew was founded too recently, but fell into the American trap since I associate Delta with Atlanta.
Same here.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 pm That was a total neg-baity FJ, given DFW's long-time status as AA's biggest hub and (as has been noted above) Delta having long been synonymous with Atlanta. (I knew that Southwest, which is also Dallas-based, wasn't founded until around 1970). Paging MarkBarrett: Requesting a poll question for those of us who went with American Airlines.
Maybe. But I instantly remembered a Jeopardy clue from many moons ago that brought up this basic fact of where Delta was founded before moving east. Just one of many instances of basically recycled clues.
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

Golf wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm
hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:17 pm That was a total neg-baity FJ, given DFW's long-time status as AA's biggest hub and (as has been noted above) Delta having long been synonymous with Atlanta. (I knew that Southwest, which is also Dallas-based, wasn't founded until around 1970). Paging MarkBarrett: Requesting a poll question for those of us who went with American Airlines.
Maybe. But I instantly remembered a Jeopardy clue from many moons ago that brought up this basic fact of where Delta was founded before moving east. Just one of many instances of basically recycled clues.
That's great that you can remember an episode from 1997 where that fact was referenced in a random clue on the single-J! board.

http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ight=delta ($500 clue under "CORPORATE AMERICA")

That "recycling" 20 years later would be of no help to the vast majority of tonight's viewers. It's not like the type of clue that basically gets repeated on an annual basis.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

For some reason I have seen the fact that Delta started as a cropdusting company pop up multiple times, which got triggered when "first passenger flight" stuck out to me; Southwest and American probably wouldn't have required that phrasing. The cities were the clincher.

Edit: The clue linked in hbomb's post above is probably one of those times!
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

goforthetie wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:05 pm For some reason I have seen the fact that Delta started as a cropdusting company pop up multiple times, which got triggered when "first passenger flight" stuck out to me; Southwest and American probably wouldn't have required that phrasing. The cities were the clincher.

Edit: The clue linked in hbomb's post above is probably one of those times!
Numerous legacy airlines had their roots in either crop-dusting or mail delivery services, so "first passenger flight" is not a phraseology that would be uniquely required for Delta.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

How did they waste so much time in Round 1 that they left 4 clues uncovered?

Lach trash: Chicken Dance, English (eigo)

Peter, you are some kind of Jeopardy god for that recovery after whiffing on all three Daily Doubles and two TDDS.

What was the pivotal clue that gave us Delta in FJ?
Last edited by Wheatley on Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

hbomb1947 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm
Numerous legacy airlines had their roots in either crop-dusting or mail delivery services, so "first passenger flight" is not a phraseology that would be uniquely required for Delta.
I knew Southwest was definitely a passenger service from the get-go. And American may have been for all I knew at the time; Delta was the only airline that I was sure would have required the specification. It's not foolproof logic, but it's what worked for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:16 pm How did they waste so much time in Round 1 that they left 4 clues uncovered?
Do you listen to the chat portion of the game? The time eater is singular.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

When Beth answered "Who is Kurt Vonnegut Jr?"
http://i.imgur.com/fq7Rofk.jpg
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Puzzlers (1), Served (5), Rock (1), Names (4), Lit (3), Fight (4)
Town (1), Avian (1), Weather (2), Music-"AL" (3), Japanese (4), Century (4)

Lach Trash: Floyd Mayweather Jr., English, storm surge; Daily Double: FBI, 15th century

I saw "Dallas" and immediately thought Southwest Airlines; I was briefly thinking of Delta later in the 30 seconds, but not enough to change my mind. I wasn't aware of the ages of Southwest and Delta, so the year given didn't help me.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 pm When Beth answered "Who is Kurt Vonnegut Jr?"
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., is common enough that it only elicited a raised eyebrow from me.
More shocking, IMO, was Jeremy's "John Roberts, Jr." I don't think I knew that at all before today.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:36 pm
Wheatley wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:28 pm When Beth answered "Who is Kurt Vonnegut Jr?"
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., is common enough that it only elicited a raised eyebrow from me.
More shocking, IMO, was Jeremy's "John Roberts, Jr." I don't think I knew that at all before today.
The players missed their chance for another Jr. when they did not get Mayweather.

The Tuesday 6/20 NYT crossword puzzle amused me:
Spoiler
MANCHESTERUNITED
MISSISSIPPIDELTA
SOUTHBYSOUTHWEST

all leading to AIRPORTTERMINALS
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:41 pm
Spoiler
MANCHESTERUNITED
MISSISSIPPIDELTA
SOUTHBYSOUTHWEST

all leading to AIRPORTTERMINALS
Spoiler
Just came here to post this! If this FJ had run one day later, I probably could have gotten it!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:07 pm I knew it couldn't be Southwest, which I knew was founded too recently, but fell into the American trap since I associate Delta with Atlanta.
Same here.
Ditto
davey

Post by davey »

MasterCone wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:58 pm Random question regarding the "what century" category: I have a bad habit of reflexively phrasing the first question in these categories like "the 1700's" rather than "the 18th century". Does anyone know if this would be ruled wrong automatically? Or asked to clarify?
I don't know if there's precedent, but personally I think "the 1700s" is a perfectly fine equivalent to "the 18th century."
Another Southwest here...though I kinda figured it wasn't that old, and I've probably flown Delta more than any airline, I wouldn't have made the geographic connection...
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TomFromMD wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:36 pm Yeah, Southwest was much later - also, for a while, they ONLY flew in Texas, so as to avoid being interstate commence. I read that in their in-flight magazine. :)
About 20 years ago, I won an in-flight trivia quiz on Southwest for knowing that their first three cities were Dallas, Houston, and San Antonio. I don't remember what I won. Maybe a free drink.