Wednesday, June 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS & POLITICS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After moving to Johannesburg in 1903, he formed the Passive Resisters Soccer Club

Peter Guekguezian: 17200+14899=32099
Matt Sokol: 1200-1100=100
Lisa Evans: 21600+12801=34401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gandhi (Peter – Mohandas ‘Mahatma’ Gandhi) (Matt – Who is ___?) (Lisa – Gandhi)

Daily Doubles
Peter: 4600+4600
Lisa: 6200-1000
Lisa: 12000+2000

Coryats
Peter: 13400
Matt: 1200
Lisa: 22200

Combined: 36,800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All of the players were on the board after clue 3 so that means a competitive match, right? Wrong. Matt got sandwiched big time.

What is the difference between playing on stage and at home? I have to think mitt and Tom Jones being stumpers are exhibits A & B as I thought those should not be available for the 4th podium. Watching their games later today the contestants would be wondering how they missed those.

DD3 if played by Peter could have turned the tables on Lisa’s lead. As it went with Lisa’s $2K bet even if she misses it she still has the lead for the FJ! round.

The FJ! category had me thinking domestically with athletes elected to political office such as Largent, Bunning and Bradley who are also in their sport’s hall of fame. Nope, this is a Trebek game and not Patrick, so the clue had to be favorable to a wider audience.

South Africa at the turn of the century had me searching for a name and at first all I had was De Beers which led me to write Cecil Rhodes. After a little of think time I pegged him as 1800s in recalling a clue from an old game I've added today. A second reading of the clue had the light bulb go on for the importance of the soccer club’s name to make the switch to the correct name a no doubter.

Patrick left no doubt which guy he meant with three names and Lisa took the shortcut with just the one. I went in between with two words.

Lisa proved one thing and that is a scarf is luckier than a flower.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Alex pointed out that Peter "spelled it correctly", I often misspell his name Ghandi (especially when I don't have spellcheck there to catch it), it's misspelled but, as far as i can tell, is pronounced pretty much the same way and I feel it would fly on the show.

Surprised that Peter as a linguist, would guess "saguaro" for a plant that means "green stick". My thought process was "ok I know "verde" is green but damned if I know what "stick" is in Spanish. Oh look, Peter rang in, he's a linguist, he'd know! ["What is saguaro?"] :o :oops: "
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got to watch my first episode today since the 2015 ToC!

I really enjoyed this board, especially the clue on the Runaways. I bet that a certain TCONA goer knew that one.

I will have to remember riffling. That sounds like it could be an LL.question.

I had no idea on FJ.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

StevenH wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:04 pm I will have to remember riffling. That sounds like it could be an LL.question.
I said "ruffling". :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 pm . My thought process was "ok I know "verde" is green but damned if I know what "stick" is in Spanish. Oh look, Peter rang in, he's a linguist, he'd know! ["What is saguaro?"] :o :oops: "
Lol. Ditto.

I had started shaking my head once I saw Lisa's DD wagers and FJ category. I was expecting another non cover wager by the leader. So, I'm pleasantly surprised.

Lisa totally crushed later in the game. Congrats.

I think Matt got more screen time during the interview than the game. That must be crushing. Didn't expect that when I saw the contestants.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Can't say I recognize the name Christie Brinkley.

The summer and fall clue was easy to overthink. I can understand the TS there.

WLT "pine" at $400?

Holly is a tree?!

"Bosnia and Herzegovina" easily passes my Hawley-Smoot filter, so it was my only get in that category.

Lach Trash: mitt, Tom Jones, palo verde

No guess on FJ! I keep forgetting that Mohandas and Mahatma are the same person, and that Indira is neither of them.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

This season's been quite an uphill-downhill moment. Four three-time champions after Alan Lin's run couldn't finish putting the needle in the coffin and get a possible potential ToC spot. Ragavan Ramsubramani, Jon Groubert, Joe Nguyen, Tucker Dunn, and now Peter Guekguezian. Three of them came close to it, and couldn't finish the deal. Jon came pretty close, but couldn't finish the deal when he led going to FJ!. Ragavan and Peter couldn't finish by hoping the leader didn't get FJ! right. Tucker...pretty much couldn't find a DD to help out his problem digging out of a deep hole from getting up to a possible 4th win. Joe, I'm not sure what to make of him. But yeah, it's been a ho-hum moment for sure.

Now that I think about it, Ragavan's 4th game FJ! sort of looks similar to this one. It's one of them 50/50-type guesses. Until it mentioned "Moving to Johannesburg", there was no way Mandela could have been right, and I fell right into that trap.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Yes... Indira is neither Mahatma nor Mohandas. 49R. Instaget. He was an Indian barrister assigned to duty in a South African office.

LT: mitt, summer solstice (today!) & fall equinox, Henry Fielding > Tom Jones (It's not unusual to be loved by anyone-!), 'green stick' = Palo Verde (only know it having been there!) Grats to new champ, strong comeback from what seemed a hopeless position! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:15 pmPatrick left no doubt which guy he meant with three names and Lisa took the shortcut with just the one. I went in between with two words.
My habit is to write down "Who is M. Gandhi" which I assume would be good enough
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I had no idea that Gandhi lived in South Africa so I went with Albert Schweitzer.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Alex obviously hasn't watched ESPN lately if he thinks sports & politics are an unusual combination . :evil:
Given that, my precall was Colin Kaepernick. Glad FJ didn't go that route.
Got Mohandas Gandhi in South Africa from the movie. And why is last name sufficient? There's Indira, Rajiv... :geek:
Mebbe getting this FJ from the movie could be in the poll?
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

BAD WAGER ALERT :twisted:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I've never seen a BMS prompting come up during FJ. Is it handled as normal?

I did get FJ right, though I had no idea Gandhi had ever lived in South Africa (much less had any interest in soccer/football).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:29 pm and that Indira is neither of them.
And, furthermore, not even related to him. She's Nehru's daughter.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Can't ask for a much better TDD situation than a question that's at worst, a 1-in-9 guess.

What exactly did "Category of Few Words" mean? I was trying to find some common thread or help based on that name, but couldn't find anything.

Was Peter's wager supposed to be meant to cover himself from falling behind Matt? If so, I think the math was off - he'd be left with 2,301 rather than the desired $2,401. That said, it worked out to be correct because Matt only wagered, $1,100, so... did he know that Matt was going to do that, and if so, how did he know?

No clue on FJ, but at least I knew that it was too early to be Nelson Mandela - the only South African I could come up with
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:02 pm Alex pointed out that Peter "spelled it correctly", I often misspell his name Ghandi (especially when I don't have spellcheck there to catch it), it's misspelled but, as far as i can tell, is pronounced pretty much the same way and I feel it would fly on the show.
It has, at least twice, according to the archive.
There was a discussion here last November about Gandhi's time in South Africa, when some guessed him for a clue about Nelson Mandela...So no way I was missing this one, though I'd call the category a little misleading...