Friday, June 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOKS OF THE 1960s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“Wherever I sat…I would be sitting under the same glass” this, the title of the author’s only novel

Lisa Evans: 13300-11910=1390
Pat McNamee: 12600-5001=7599 (New Champ)
Brittany Franckowiak: 8800-8800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
bell jar (Lisa – To Kill a Mockingbird) (Pat – I’ve been sucking [he was going for sucking in his stomach the whole show]) (Brittany – The Glass Cage)

Daily Doubles
Lisa: 600+500
Brittany: 3600+2000
Lisa: 13300-2000

Coryats
Lisa: 15400
Pat: 12600
Brittany: 8000

Combined: 36,000

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Here's one for cheezguyty: Lisa ran SCARY READING a J! round category with box values adding to $3K, yet she only made $2,900 there. When is the last time someone ran a category and earned less than box values?

I got a little baseball redemption today by getting the blooper clue correct.

TV IN THE STREAM had my viewing tally at a whopping two episodes seen of the five shows combined with one Black Mirror and one of Mindy's show when it was on Fox.

Clue 29 of the DJ! round presented an interesting wagering scenario for Lisa when she found DD3:

Lisa: 13300
Pat: 12600
Brittany: 8800

with a $2K clue remaining on the board.

Lisa went for $2K on her wager and dropped below Pat on the miss, but regained the lead on the last clue. I think those scores and KOREAN WAR $1600 is a tough place to play a DD as Lisa could bet to insure the lead going into the last clue or the lead for the FJ! round while also risking falling into 2nd place.

In this game first place was not the spot to be for the FJ! round with both Pat & Brittany having the shot at the title with a TS clue.

I took an extra 30 seconds on the FJ! clue and once Harper Lee & Rachel Carson did not work I was still sunk even with the additional time. Getting as far as figuring the author was more likely going to be a woman still did not help. My response to avoid a blank paper was ceiling.

Knowing author & title has been enough many times for previous clues while in this case it was not sufficient.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Judges:
:OOP:S $400 wrote:A fly ball in baseball that just clears the infield, or a mistake in front of live TV cameras
The TV one eluded me for some reason, but I always thought that the sports one was called a "bloop", which is what I answered. But I didn't think the TV one was ever called a "bloop". Was I misremembering the sports one? Could my answer be correct?

Also:
KOREAN WAR $400 wrote:The Korean War was the first to use these units near combat, saving many lives
(There were also pictures accompanying this clue)

Pat gave the answer of "MASH units", would just plain "field hospitals" work, or was that term used before Korea? (And, if that's the case, what's the difference between a MASH unit and a field hospital?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm
Here's one for cheezguyty: Lisa ran SCARY READING a J! round category with box values adding to $3K, yet she only made $2,900 there. When is the last time someone ran a category and earned less than box values?
I had the same question.

That FJ was hard. Combined with yesterday's, suddenly FJ have reached TOC level, IMO.

Lisa is strong player...a lock game would have helped her survive that FJ.. but not happening on those DD wagers.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Took me about 15 to 20 seconds to think of it and I didn't have much faith, but I got it right.

Golf

Post by Golf »

Nice to see an intelligent wager win a game that most would have lost. Brittany for example.

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I was 0/4 on Finals going into today's episode, so you could say I've been sucking. :lol: Fortunately I guessed correctly to avoid having to check the Box of Shame. Did the "the" in the title throw the contestants off?
Hoping for a third lap

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote:
TV IN THE STREAM had my viewing tally at a whopping two episodes seen of the five shows combined with one Black Mirror and one of Mindy's show when it was on Fox.
4/5 in the category here (heard of Catastrophe, had no idea what it was about), 0/5 having seen any episodes. Luke Cage is in the queue, but I haven't gotten to it (or Jessica Jones) yet.

Instaget FJ. Not sure if I faintly recognized the quote, or if it just seemed vaguely depressing and I took a lucky guess, but bell jar "sounded right" to me.

Just when I thought we had the makings of another 5xer. Oh well.

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Just when I thought we had the makings of another 5xer. Oh well.
AT's comments before the game began were the kiss of death.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

37/59 right.

Geography (4), TV (1), Orange (4), Reading (4), "OOP" (3), Stepped (3)
Founding (3), Korean (4), 4-Letter (1), Art (3), Astronomy (2), "CENTER" (5)

No Lach Trash; Daily Double: Mao Zedong

I wasn't sure if The Bell Jar was released in the late 1950's or the early 1960's (knowing that Sylvia Plath died in 1963), but I knew it was her only novel, so that's what lead me to guess it.

Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Ran "Stepped in it."

Imagine my surprise when FJ turned out to be one of the five classic books I've actually read.
MarkBarrett wrote:
I took an extra 30 seconds on the FJ! clue and once Harper Lee & Rachel Carson did not work I was still sunk even with the additional time. Getting as far as figuring the author was more likely going to be a woman still did not help. My response to avoid a blank paper was ceiling.

Knowing author & title has been enough many times for previous clues while in this case it was not sufficient.
How do you figure it was more likely a woman?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

Golf wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:37 pm
Nice to see an intelligent wager win a game that most would have lost. Brittany for example.
3401 would have kept him above the 0 bet that Brittany should have made, IMHO. That said, it would have left him open. I don't get why people go all in from 3rd like that.
Last edited by TomFromMD on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

At the risk of coming across as crotchety, I'm not a fan of answering "I've been sucking". It seems disrespectful to me.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TomFromMD wrote:
Golf wrote: Nice to see an intelligent wager win a game that most would have lost. Brittany for example.
3401 would have kept him above the 0 bet that Brittany should have made, IMHO.
Or 3799.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I was going for something simple like "house" or "roof". Never heard of it.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I missed FJ. I guessed "ceiling" since that would have fit the context perfectly but there's no famous novel with that name. I considered "To Kill a Mockingbird" (only novel) and "The Glass Menagerie" (glassy literature) but neither of them fit. If Plath's book had been titled "The Glass Bell Jar" I would have gotten it.

The Akron rubber clue was pretty tough. I guessed Goodyear. Now I know Goodrich was first. According to WIkipedia Goodrich was headquartered in Akron in 1869, Goodyear in 1898, and Firestone in 1900.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Instaget on FJ. I was frankly surprised to see it as a triple stumper.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

clprez

Post by clprez »

dhkendall wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm
Judges:
:OOP:S $400 wrote:A fly ball in baseball that just clears the infield, or a mistake in front of live TV cameras
The TV one eluded me for some reason, but I always thought that the sports one was called a "bloop", which is what I answered. But I didn't think the TV one was ever called a "bloop". Was I misremembering the sports one? Could my answer be correct?
In baseball, whenever I've heard bloop it's when they use it as a "bloop single." I can't remember hearing it as "blooper," and I've only heard the TV mistake as "blooper", so I just didn't know which answer to give.