Friday, June 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 23, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:39 pm Ran "Stepped in it."

Imagine my surprise when FJ turned out to be one of the five classic books I've actually read.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm I took an extra 30 seconds on the FJ! clue and once Harper Lee & Rachel Carson did not work I was still sunk even with the additional time. Getting as far as figuring the author was more likely going to be a woman still did not help. My response to avoid a blank paper was ceiling.

Knowing author & title has been enough many times for previous clues while in this case it was not sufficient.
How do you figure it was more likely a woman?
In thinking about famous authors with only one book I kept coming up with women only:
Mitchell: GWTW
Lee: TKAM (no longer true of course, but she was famous for it for a lot of years)
Sewell: Black Beauty
Bronte: Wuthering Heights

Right, there was nothing in the clue's wording or category that specified a woman and I would think the quote did not lean heavily one way or the other either.

The males I did not have in the rolodex were (after looking at some lists):
Pasternak: Dr. Zhivago
Salinger: TCITR
Wilde: The Picture of Dorian Gray
Ellison: Invisible Man

No matter the list I looked at there was Plath: The Bell Jar on each one, so I suspect I will have a chance at redemption on it before the year 2020.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 pm At the risk of coming across as crotchety, I'm not a fan of answering "I've been sucking". It seems disrespectful to me.
Alex talked over him somewhat, but he explained that he was writing "I've been sucking in my stomach the whole show".

Which is probably just as bad...
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

heppm01 wrote:
Ironhorse wrote: At the risk of coming across as crotchety, I'm not a fan of answering "I've been sucking". It seems disrespectful to me.
Alex talked over him somewhat, but he explained that he was writing "I've been sucking in my stomach the whole show".

I believe Alex was feigning not being able to read that last word on his monitor.
Maven
Fate's Law Prevails

Post by Maven »

Near-instagot FJ...took a second after Alex reading, but The Bell Jar immediately came to me and I held onto it. Always feels good to nab a triple stumper FJ, although I too am a little amazed that at least one contestant didn't get it.

Ran Scary Reading (including the dark matter DD), "Center"tainment, and The Korean War (including the Mao Zedong DD), and almost ran You've Stepped In It Now (got entrapped by crevasse), Astronomy (got obscured by the Oort cloud), Founding Fathers (got burned by going with Firestone over Goodrich), and American Art (nailed the hope DD, but got lost in Christina's World).
"Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:35 pm
heppm01 wrote:
Ironhorse wrote: At the risk of coming across as crotchety, I'm not a fan of answering "I've been sucking". It seems disrespectful to me.

I believe Alex was feigning not being able to read that last word on his monitor.
Lisa was a good 3Day champ, but not a very good DD better. She seemed genuine and not too robotic. Still, I was rooting for Pat after some steady play and felt bad that he got outbuzzed for the last clue which turned out to be a softball. However after Pat's douchebag reply in FJ I wish that Brittany had bet correctly to burn him for a) bad betting, and b) rudeness.

I can't bring myself to root against anybody, but I can still root for the newcomers on Monday.

I NHO the Bell Jar and vaguely know Sylvia Plath is a pop culture figure from the era. Box of shame for me, I don't mind missing this YEKIOYD. You smart and savvy people - enjoy your affirmation.

I think only 'blooper' meets the requirement, sorry, dhk. Although it is usually an adjective as 'bloop single", you also hit bloopers, ropes, seeds, bullets, rockets, drives, popups, line drives, taters, and dingers among other euphemistic words for hit baseballs. You can name all the hockey jargon, lol.. I admire all the Canucks that more than hold their own in a show with a huge bias toward US public school learnings.

I got the Oort cloud and some respect for Lisa's miss with Magellanic Clouds. I don't know what they are, but they are a thing. I object to the dark matter clue - I think it implied only 25% of universe is "missing", when it is more like 95%. Granted, dark energy is 68% and dark matter is 27%, but that leaves 5% as matter/energy as we know it. Anyway, the clue makes the universe seem 75% "complete", when it is only 5% "complete' in layman terms.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 am I can't bring myself to root against anybody, but I can still root for the newcomers on Monday.
I'm rooting for a show newcomer on Monday for a different reason. He's nowhere near a newcomer on this board: https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3 ... 26#p250810
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm Here's one for cheezguyty: Lisa ran SCARY READING a J! round category with box values adding to $3K, yet she only made $2,900 there. When is the last time someone ran a category and earned less than box values?
I believe it was in the fifth quarterfinal of this year's College Championship, when Gary Tse netted $5,845 after running SOCIOLOGY in the DJ! Round.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:40 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm Here's one for cheezguyty: Lisa ran SCARY READING a J! round category with box values adding to $3K, yet she only made $2,900 there. When is the last time someone ran a category and earned less than box values?
I believe it was in the fifth quarterfinal of this year's College Championship, when Gary Tse netted $5,845 after running SOCIOLOGY in the DJ! Round.
Good one. Thanks for the fast work digging it up.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 pm
Wheatley wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:39 pm Ran "Stepped in it."

Imagine my surprise when FJ turned out to be one of the five classic books I've actually read.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm I took an extra 30 seconds on the FJ! clue and once Harper Lee & Rachel Carson did not work I was still sunk even with the additional time. Getting as far as figuring the author was more likely going to be a woman still did not help. My response to avoid a blank paper was ceiling.

Knowing author & title has been enough many times for previous clues while in this case it was not sufficient.
How do you figure it was more likely a woman?
Right, there was nothing in the clue's wording or category that specified a woman and I would think the quote did not lean heavily one way or the other either.
Men aren't examined like a specimen like women are in social situations. Safe call the quote was from a woman author.

I could've -drawn- the final,but I couldn't name it (judges? :lol: ). Now I know what one of those glass covers with the knobby bit on the top is called...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 am

I got the Oort cloud and some respect for Lisa's miss with Magellanic Clouds. I don't know what they are, but they are a thing.
The Large and Small Magellanic Clouds are two small cluster galaxies, among the nearest galaxies to the Milky Way. It's really not that great a guess for the clue, having really only the word cloud and the subject astronomy in common.

Operative word in FJ was 'glass.' glass=jar Plath's only novel. Didn't take long.

Anybody notice all the grimacing Lisa was doing when she gave a wrong answer? She looked agonized with each miss.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

clprez wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 pm
In baseball, whenever I've heard bloop it's when they use it as a "bloop single." I can't remember hearing it as "blooper," and I've only heard the TV mistake as "blooper", so I just didn't know which answer to give.
They could have said "synonym for Eephus pitch", or some such. Dave LaRoche threw them occasionally with the Yankees, with pretty good results. Highlight was striking out Gorman Thomas to end a game. Jim Rice was proud enough of a single to heckle LaRoche afterward from first base.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

It's always hard when you have to refer to an FJ! clue dealing with an "object". Normally, with clues like this, you gotta think on books. Which would come to mind in a title dealing with objects that could possibly proceed glass? This kind of FJ! should be more towards "How many stupid guesses can you think of the word 'glass' to proceed with a book title to not make sense?" kind of a deal. Here's where I inspire:

Steel Magnolias by Robert Harling (Not even there.)
Mysterious Island by Jules Verne (Fascinating, but no.)
Farmer Boy by L.I.W. (Weird, and still no.)
Holes by Louis Sachar (Funny, but no.)
Treasure Island by R.L.S. (Interesting, but not there.)
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams (Cool, but no.)
The Glass Menagerie by T.W. (Doesn't count because title of book has "The" in it already)
Deerslayer by J.F.C. (Definitely a big no.)
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (Love the idea, but no.)

Honestly, I think Lisa misread the clue and came up with a response that didn't make sense at all. Let's face it, Pat's response, please correct me if I'm being crude and unrefined, but I thought he was going for something dirty and inappropriate there. With Brittany, I never heard of Glass Cage as a book.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! 0/5 this week in FJ! and it hasn't been my kind of week. ><;
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

bomtr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 am Anybody notice all the grimacing Lisa was doing when she gave a wrong answer? She looked agonized with each miss.
Let's just say it's been an interesting slate of contestants this week

Nailed FJ stone cold. Surprised to see 2 FJ categories in a row reference the 1960s, likely favoring Lisa, but I understand that board selection is randomized

Lisa is a strong player, deadly quick on that buzzer, but she got in her own way today. Amazing that she still managed to grab the lead going into FJ. She seemed to write her response down immediately and with confidence, so I thought for sure she was looking at another big payday. Alas, The Glass To Kill a Mockingbird wasn't good enough today

"I've been sucking" and "manhole" in the same game?? :oops: What is the world coming to?

More SCARY categories please!

I went with fissure for crevasse, I suppose that might be accepted?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 am
bomtr wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:02 am Anybody notice all the grimacing Lisa was doing when she gave a wrong answer? She looked agonized with each miss.
Let's just say it's been an interesting slate of contestants this week

Nailed FJ stone cold. Surprised to see 2 FJ categories in a row reference the 1960s, likely favoring Lisa, but I understand that board selection is randomized

Lisa is a strong player, deadly quick on that buzzer, but she got in her own way today. Amazing that she still managed to grab the lead going into FJ. She seemed to write her response down immediately and with confidence, so I thought for sure she was looking at another big payday. Alas, The Glass To Kill a Mockingbird wasn't good enough today

"I've been sucking" and "manhole" in the same game?? :oops: What is the world coming to?

More SCARY categories please!

I went with fissure for crevasse, I suppose that might be accepted?
non, mon ami. The clue asked for a French word. 'Big freaking gash" also doesn't work.

Congrats on your audition selection. I missed the earlier news about it. The red nose and a hair flower should put you over the top..

IMHO, Pat was just being edgy with the code of conduct agreement, whatever that is. I assume the contestants all sign waivers that they can be kicked off or out for any reason and possibly even have financial penalties for wasting taping time and expense. The student that flipped him off a few weeks ago was probably being edgy too. I wonder how many times in 30 years they've had to void questions or even entire sessions - it can't be zero. As an irreverent middle child, I can't believe how annoyed I am by this. Excuse me while I go yell at some kids to get off my lawn...

Glad to
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:02 am
morbeedo wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:43 am I went with fissure for crevasse, I suppose that might be accepted?
non, mon ami. The clue asked for a French word. 'Big freaking gash" also doesn't work.
Well, fissure is derived from French, whereas 'big freaking gash' ain't :O)

From my Robert dictionnaire Français-Français: CREVASSE - Fente profonde à la surface d'une chose => fente, fissure

Yeah, the AUDITION looms. I've tried this on a million different ways, but I don't see how I bring up clowns without coming off as a total creep. So I gotta rein it in and throw up a few gauzy filters to soften all my sharp edges
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 am I wish that Brittany had bet correctly to burn him for a) bad betting
How was his bet bad?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:49 pm
TomFromMD wrote:
Golf wrote: Nice to see an intelligent wager win a game that most would have lost. Brittany for example.
3401 would have kept him above the 0 bet that Brittany should have made, IMHO.
Or 3799.
How about $1,200?

If Lisa wagers correctly (as she has shown she knows how to do) and misses, she ends up with $1,399. (She didn't do exactly that, but almost.)

If Pat bets to lock out Brittany by a buck (which he did), and negs FJ (which he did), he ends up with $7,599 (which he did).

That was SUPPOSED to be the number for Brittany to beat. So if she wagers $1,200, she wins the game on a sole get or on a TS.

That of course is the way to go.

But noooo. One more time before the season ends, we get to see the hopeless, pointless all-in-from-third-place wager lose a game for a contestant who would have won with a correct wager. *deep sigh*.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:40 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:20 am I wish that Brittany had bet correctly to burn him for a) bad betting
How was his bet bad?
never mind. the stink from brittany's bet clouded my reasoning process.

i will be rooting for the new boardie on Monday but give Pat the benefit of a clean slate. Lisa grew on me for being so real - still chuckling at the
Spoiler
wheaties response for waffles
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Rosemary's Baby" at $200 rang no bells, which is surprising since I got the next 3. Also NHO "Black Mirror".

Lots of good categories for me tonight. Ran "Oop"s, all but Barclay Center in "Centertainment", all but "crevasse" in Stepped in It and "Udon" in 4 letter. Art was my only 0/5 of the night, thanks to me blanking on Jackson Pollock and not catching the zoom-in on the Louvre clue.

Sun Myung Moon was my best get of the night.

No guess on FJ!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $41,400
52 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oort cloud, Catskills

I'm surprised this played as tough as it did, but that's mostly just "I suck at literature and knew it instantly, so it must not be that hard" talking.
clprez wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:55 pm
dhkendall wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:00 pm Judges:
:OOP:S $400 wrote:A fly ball in baseball that just clears the infield, or a mistake in front of live TV cameras
The TV one eluded me for some reason, but I always thought that the sports one was called a "bloop", which is what I answered. But I didn't think the TV one was ever called a "bloop". Was I misremembering the sports one? Could my answer be correct?
In baseball, whenever I've heard bloop it's when they use it as a "bloop single." I can't remember hearing it as "blooper," and I've only heard the TV mistake as "blooper", so I just didn't know which answer to give.
"Blooper" and "bloop single" are used interchangeably. For example, the play-by-play announcer might say "Johnson hits a little blooper to right, and it's going to drop in for his second hit of the game" or "last time up, Gonzalez hit a little flare over the head of the shortstop that got down for a bloop single."
Lefty wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:05 am They could have said "synonym for Eephus pitch", or some such. Dave LaRoche threw them occasionally with the Yankees, with pretty good results. Highlight was striking out Gorman Thomas to end a game. Jim Rice was proud enough of a single to heckle LaRoche afterward from first base.
OTOH, I had never before heard "blooper" used as a synonym for an Eephus pitch, but I see it listed in Wikipedia. You learn something new every day. Thanks, Lefty!
Sprinkles are for winners.