Monday, December 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, December 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #6261, 2011-12-05

CONTESTANTS
Brendan Barnwell, a grad student and tutor from Santa Barbara, California
Scott Russell, a university chaplain from Blacksburg, Virginia
Bhibha Das, a postdoctoral research associate originally from Mt. Zion, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $20,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Time flies, doesn't it, folks? Less than a month to the new year. Bhibha is a good champion. Scott and Brendan, you've got your work cut out for you if you want to replace her, but good luck to all three of you. We're gonna put you to work now in the Jeopardy! Round. Clues are worth $200 to $1,000 in these categories. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
INDIAN FOOD (4/5)
AMERICAN NOVELISTS (3/5)
MOVIE MODES OF TRANSPORT (2/5) (Alex: We'll give you the film. You give us the...)
PHRASES OF DEATH (5/5)
MONOGRAMS IN FASHION (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AMMAN, JORDAN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brendan: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Scott: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Bhibha: 5 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brendan: $2,800
Bhibha: $1,000
Scott: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Brendan Barnwell is from Santa Barbara, California, and, Brendan, like many people, I dream a lot, but I can't remember my dreams. You don't have that problem.

Brendan: Occasionally, I do, but usually, I do not. Um, I've been writing my dreams down every day for just over ten years.

Alex: Okay. And you've been doing it for ten years?

Brendan: Yeah, a little bit over ten years.

Alex: All right, keep--keep it going.

Alex: Scott Russell, university chaplain from Virginia--you have conducted exorcisms, but the kind of exorcism that we don't often hear about.

Scott: Well, uh, we, like many liturgical churches, uh, to celebrate St. Francis day, we will do what's called an animal blessing. And often, people will bring rather unruly dogs or cats, uh, for exorcisms, uh, holy water, laying on of hands--whatever it may take.

Alex: [Skeptically] Uh-huh.

Scott: We can't guarantee results.

Alex: [Laughs] Okay.

Alex: Over to Bhibha now. B-H-I-B-H-A is your first name. Is that the name that your father misspelled on the birth certificate?

Bhibha: It's--

Alex: What was it supposed to be?

Bhibha: Yes. There--the first "H" is not supposed to be there.

Alex: Ah.

Bhibha: So the B-H makes a "va" sound in my parents' language, and I think my father, in the excitement of me being born and being the first in my family and the first one born here in the U.S. just got a little excited and threw in an extra "H" there.

Alex: Have you ragged on him about this over the years?

Bhibha: Everyone has ragged on him over the years.

Alex: Ooh. Okay. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bhibha found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Bhibha had $1,200, Scott had $1,400, and Brendan was at $4,600. Bhibha made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

MONOGRAMS IN FASHION $600: In 2010 she launched a children's line, yeah, yeah, yeah:
SM

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
INDIAN FOOD $1000: This Indian specialty, a spicy curry, gets its name from the Portuguese for "wine and garlic sauce"

AMERICAN NOVELISTS $600: John Ehle is the author of "The Winter People", which became a film, & the father of this woman, who went into film

AMERICAN NOVELISTS $1000: In the 1950s he won $10,000 on "You Bet Your Life", allowing him time off to write a novel... "The Exorcist"
(Scott: Who is Batty?)

MOVIE MODES OF TRANSPORT $600: "The Great Waldo Pepper"

MOVIE MODES OF TRANSPORT $800: "American Flyers"
(Scott: What are wagons?)

MOVIE MODES OF TRANSPORT $1000: "Ice Station Zebra"
(Bhibha: What's a Zamboni?)
(Alex: [Laughs] Oh, no!)
[Laughter]

MONOGRAMS IN FASHION $1000: He often dressed Jackie Kennedy:
OC

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brendan: $5,000
Bhibha: $2,400
Scott: $1,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, December 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REMEMBER LAST DECEMBER? (3/5)
WORD ORIGINS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PICK UP YOUR ORDER (4/5)
"H"EALTH & MEDICINE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LET'S PLAY A SONG (3/3)
A MAN: JORDAN (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bhibha: 13 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Brendan: 6 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bhibha snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Bhibha had $5,200, Scott had $1,400, and Brendan was at $7,000. Bhibha made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

"H"EALTH & MEDICINE $1600: A transplant rejection problem, GVH, stands for graft versus this

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brendan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Bhibha had $14,800, Scott had $1,000, and Brendan was at $9,800. Brendan wagered $3,000.

WORD ORIGINS $2000: From the Italian for "of a cave", this adjective today refers to anything strange or ugly
(Brendan: Uh...)
(Alex: Anything?)
(Brendan: Um, what is crude?)
(Alex: No. Cave, grotto--grotesque.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WORD ORIGINS $400: From the Arabic for "sign of god", it's a high-ranking Muslim cleric regarded as the most learned of the time period
(Bhibha: What is an imam?)

REMEMBER LAST DECEMBER? $1600: The Senate ratified an updated arms control treaty with Russia known as "New" this
(Brendan: What is SALT?)

PICK UP YOUR ORDER $2000: Unrelated to the one in "Harry Potter", the Order of the Phoenix

A MAN: JORDAN $800: Advertising writer James J, Jordan came up with "Ring around the collar" & this airline "is ready when you are"

REMEMBER LAST DECEMBER? $2000: Laurent Gbagbo & Alassane Ouattara both had themselves sworn in as pres. of this African country on December 4

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bhibha: $19,200 (lock game)
Brendan: $8,000
Scott: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLAYWRIGHTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Bhibha: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Brendan: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $2,799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Scott: You've no hope of catching up... unless Brendan does something stupid. So risk $2,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
For a 1953 play, he spent time in Salem doing research at the courthouse & at the Witch House

FINAL SCORES
Scott: $2,600 + $2,500 = $5,100 (Who is Arthur Miller?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Brendan: $8,000 + $7,122 = $15,122 (Who is Arthur Miller?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Bhibha: $19,200 + $1,979 = $21,179 (Who is Arthur Miller?) (2-day champion: $41,380)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bhibha: $15,000, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Brendan: $11,000, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Scott: $2,600, 10 R, 5 W
Combined Coryat: $28,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Bhibha: 19/60 = .317
Brendan: 18/59 = .305
Scott: 11/58 = .190
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PHRASES OF DEATH $400: This agricultural plot of land is the last one you'll "buy"
(Scott: What's your plot?)

INDIAN FOOD $600: Get your bread piping hot from this type of Indian clay oven, seen here

AMMAN, JORDAN $600: By 1300 Amman had disappeared; it was resettled by this empire in 1878 & grew from there
(Bhibha: What is the Byzantine Empire?)

PICK UP YOUR ORDER $400: The Order of the Nile
(Scott: What is south to north?)

"H"EALTH & MEDICINE $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an anatomical animation on the monitor.) This occurs when the nucleus of a disk protrudes through the surrounding cell & puts pressure on a spinal nerve

REMEMBER LAST DECEMBER? $800: On December 7 this popular American political wife passed away in Chapel Hill
(Scott: Who is Betty Ford?)

LET'S PLAY A SONG $1200: Let's lip-synch "All or Nothing", a 1990 top 5 hit by this rhyming-named duo from Germany
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Stella McCartney
vindaloo
Jennifer Ehle
William Peter Blatty
planes (biplanes & triplanes)
bicycles
a nuclear submarine
Oleg Cassini
host
grotesque
ayatollah
New START
Greece
Delta
Cote d'Ivoire (the Ivory Coast)
Arthur Miller
(buying) the farm
a tandoor
the Ottoman Empire
Egypt
a herniated disk
Elizabeth Edwards
Milli Vanilli

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Monday, December 5, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:29 pm

Sounded more to me like he inserted an "a" sound in Hilfiger, but I guess the judges heard it as "Hil-fye-ger".

I was a perfect 0-fer in Indian Foods and didn't do all that well in J on the whole. DJ was much easier and FJ was as simple as they come.

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:52 pm

Another excellent effort by Bibha. Her sizable wagers are so far paying off.

I am curious as to why Brendan would unnecessarily risk his lock on second place. It seems that alot of times, when there's a lock involved, players throw good wagering strategy to the wind.

marpocky

Post by marpocky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:27 pm

thenextofken wrote:It seems that alot of times, when there's a lock involved, players throw good wagering strategy to the wind.
And even when there's not a lock involved...

Instaget FJ, and I'm surprised they even gave us the clue about the witch house.

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm enjoying Bhibha's game play and her ability to banter with Alex during game play without losing her concentration or coming off as annoying.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:44 pm

I don't know ... Bhibha missed vindaloo? I mean, what's with that?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:59 pm

cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm enjoying Bhibha's game play and her ability to banter with Alex during game play without losing her concentration or coming off as annoying.
It annoys the heck out of me.

Instaget FJ, should rank pretty high in the wwekly poll.

Anybody else get a George Carlin vibe from Brendon? He looked a lot like him.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:33 pm

i think that's the worst wager i've ever seen in my life.

edit: okay, no, james ruchala's was worse. but this was just inexplicable. risking a lock with literally no possible gain.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Bhibha certainly did seem to calm down a bit in her second match, but it certainly seemed to take her half the game to find her buzzer mojo. It's good to see aggressive wagering in the DDs from her, too. And, yeah, the names of the houses did seem like overkill to me.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:40 pm

An all in bet by Brendon might be defendable on the off chance the leader makes a "tie if wrong" bet. But his actual bet was just nonsensical.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:44 pm

alietr wrote:I don't know ... Bhibha missed vindaloo? I mean, what's with that?
Not that I have an answer, but I'll try two. The clue left open several possibilities and she had enough knowledge in the area to be unsure? She said first American born. Bhibha is more likely to have a (pick a favorite fast food restaurant dish) than some of the foods in category?

The Great Waldo Pepper? Anyone younger than 35 get that one looking for the movie's transport? I think that is harder than the other clues in the archive that asked for the movie's star. The clue felt like a grade school time machine.

That was a nice pull by Bhibha on "H"ost to double up on the DD. A miss would have left her at 8800 entering FJ, but still enough to win the game. It was a good spot to get brave.

The FJ clue could have been guessed with just Salem? That clue seemed like a near certainty to go 3/3 on the show.

What's with the players saving music categories until last lately?

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 pm

I sure hope someday I learn to forge forward through nervousness as effectively as Bhibha did in tonight's game -- especially the decisiveness in declaring a true Daily Double in the DJ! round. I still don't get the vibe that she'll win five or more games, but she could fool me.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:53 pm

alietr wrote:I don't know ... Bhibha missed vindaloo? I mean, what's with that?
Perhaps her family doesn't come from the formerly Portuguese-colonized area of India. On the other hand, maybe Vik Vaz might have snapped that clue up in half an instant.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:26 pm

Playwrights
For a 1953 play, he spent time in Salem doing research at the courthouse & at the witch house.
Spoiler
Show
Who is Arthur Miller?
Bhibha Das: $19,200+$1,979=$21,179 ...now a 2-day champion with $41,380
Brendan Barnwell: $8,000+$7,122=$15,122
Scott Russell: $2,600+$2,400=$5,000

And a Jolly Vindaloo Day to all!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:54 pm

Can I rightfully assume that "tandoori" is wrong for the required clue (wrote down which one, but not in front of me currently), as they were asking for the oven, and I believe "tandoori" is merely the style of dishes made on said oven (ie tandoori chicken)? Due to my not knowing when to close my big yap and thus negging like there's no tomorrow, I got a low score, so a reversal on "tandoori" would be much appreciated, but even I don't think it'll come.

And count me in the Bhibha fan club, she really impressed me for the reasons already stated (and, for some reason, I knew when the game began just by looking at the other players that Bhiba would win by a lock).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:09 am

So, does she just get infinite time after she says hernia?? What was that?? Man, after the prompting in the last episode, that really frustrated me. Some more ugly guessing and took forever to get the (in my opinion, easy) host clue (what kind of student is she again? Not being sarcastic, I really haven't been paying attention).

Add this game to the huge stack of examples of players getting locked out anyway after "only" losing their play-it-safe DD bet.

Edit: is there someone with expertise that can confirm that the hernia response warranted a prompt and not a neg?
Last edited by whoisalexjacob on Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:14 am

dhkendall wrote:Can I rightfully assume that "tandoori" is wrong for the required clue (wrote down which one, but not in front of me currently)
It would only fit the clue if it was a tandodnat or something :)

Also a fan, even though her name isn't as cool as Francis's last name. But still a cool name.

Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 am

[quote="dhkendall"]Can I rightfully assume that "tandoori" is wrong for the required clue (wrote down which one, but not in front of me currently), as they were asking for the oven, and I believe "tandoori" is merely the style of dishes made on said oven (ie tandoori chicken)? Due to my not knowing when to close my big yap and thus negging like there's no tomorrow, I got a low score, so a reversal on "tandoori" would be much appreciated, but even I don't think it'll come.

He very clearly said TANDOOR, which is the oven. There was no I at the end of it.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:37 am

Paucle wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Can I rightfully assume that "tandoori" is wrong for the required clue (wrote down which one, but not in front of me currently)
It would only fit the clue if it was a tandodnat or something :)

Also a fan, even though her name isn't as cool as Francis's last name. But still a cool name.
The palindrome was the bread in another clue (naan - which I got, btw). "Tandoor" was the correct response for the clue (no arguments there), and I answered "tandoori" (more than likely wrong). No palindrome required.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012