FJs for the 6/19/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 6/19/17 week?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:53 pm

On June 17, 1929 this airline's first passenger flight left Dallas, making stops at Shreveport, Monroe & Jackson
36%
The verse from the Sermon on the Mount following "Judge not, that ye be not judged" inspired this Bard comedy title
29%
After moving to Johannesburg in 1903, he formed the Passive Resisters Soccer Club
76%
Rudolf Abel & this American are most associated with Germany’s Glienicke Bridge on February 10, 1962
48%
“Wherever I sat…I would be sitting under the same glass” this, the title of the author’s only novel
49%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
7%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
6%
HOUSE FULL OF LIT $1000: In "Hell House" by this "I Am Legend" author, a team investigates a notorious haunted mansion with horrific results
20%
PLAYWRIGHTS $1600: This alliteratively named playwright followed up her 1989 Pulitzer win with "The Sisters Rosensweig"
42%
FOUNDING FATHERS $800: We salute William Booth, the founder & first general of this charitable organization
86%
American Airlines was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
19%
"As You Like It" was my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
28%
I have seen the movie "Gandhi."
45%
I have seen the movie "Bridge of Spies."
23%
JFK was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
25%
I have read "The Bell Jar."
13%

Total votes: 119

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: FJs for the 6/19/17 week

Post by hbomb1947 »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

American Airlines on Monday's ultra neg-baity clue, and Much Ado about Nothing on Tuesday. On Friday, I had no idea and put "window" just to say something. I needed more info to get to the correct response; it would have helped if I knew that The Bell Jar was a novel and not a book of poems.

I've seen Gandhi and Bridge of Spies, and having seen those probably helped me on the respective clues about Gandhi and Powers.

It was an unusual week for me in that Monday's and Tuesday's FJ clues were in ultra-"w"heelhouse categories for me and I missed both of them. Which is a reminder why you should wager based on the wagering situation and not make a bad wager due to overconfidence in the nominal category of the clue.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:11 pm
jev15 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:21 am :mrgreen: :D :D :D :D
:D :D :D

More people should read The Bell Jar, very surprised by it's low percentage.
? serious question: why? I looked up the Wiki because I thought perhaps it was part of the Feminist movement and it just seems to be a sad story. Not that it isn't an allegory for the plight of women, and etc.., but what recommends it? Of course there isn't any one correct answer and even victim fiction has it's adherents. I just want to pay it proper homage if it ever comes up again.
Because it's a great work of art? Because a book doesn't have to epitomize a movement or philosophy to be worth reading?
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

? serious question: why? I looked up the Wiki because I thought perhaps it was part of the Feminist movement and it just seems to be a sad story. Not that it isn't an allegory for the plight of women, and etc.., but what recommends it? Of course there isn't any one correct answer and even victim fiction has it's adherents. I just want to pay it proper homage if it ever comes up again.
I found it to be one of the realest depictions of suicidal depression, perhaps that we'll ever see.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

jev15 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Because it's a great work of art? Because a book doesn't have to epitomize a movement or philosophy to be worth reading?
Alright, we have "great work of art", and "suicidal depression" (thanks, Wheatley) to recommend it. That's all I asked. thanks.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Fell behind again. Monday I think I originally considered Southwest but knew that 1929 was too early for Southwest, so I think I settled on something like Eastern. Should have been able to get to a guess of Delta based on the clue. I did see Gandhi, but too long ago to help me with this clue. I have not seen Bridge of Spies--I was thinking of the right guy but blanked on his name. I have read The Bell Jar--not sure if it was longer ago than when I saw Gandhi, but I think both were at least 25 years ago.

2224443315534212332313[43CC]3224424243[35TT]32133, 119-86
The Word Picture
Contributor

Post by The Word Picture »

:( :( :) judge :(

:( :) ;)

Who was the u2 spy plane pilot? Would get an argument. I associate Delta with Atlanta. Dallas = southwest best I could with Shakespeare was Merchant of Venice no idea for the other.

Have seen enough of Gandhi to know he spent time in south Africa.