Monday, June 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
OSCAR WINNERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Later an Oscar winner, she appeared as the child baptized towards the end of “The Godfather”

Pat McNamee: 20000-20000=0
Elisabeth Larsen: 20000-15000=5000
Brandon Randall: 10800+9201=20001 (NEW CHAMP!)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Sofia Coppola (Pat – Reese Witherspoon) (Elisabeth – Marisa Tomei)

Daily Doubles
Elisabeth: 5200+3000
Elisabeth: 11400+3000
Pat: 5000+5000

Coryats
Pat: 16200
Elisabeth: 16200
Brandon: 10800

Combined: 43,200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game of J! has three rounds and Brandon was outplayed in two of them. The tables were turned thanks to Brandon winning the third round.

Many of us are waiting for that regular play tiebreaker clue, but it was fine to see it not happen today.

Since Pat bet all of his 5K on the DD I felt confident he would go all in for the FJ! round. Elisabeth was the one with the harder to predict action even though she bet more than some do on her DD wagers.

I’ve seen enough games to know 0 – 20000 and all in between were in play with record-setting tied high scores for the FJ! round.

A tougher clue and Elisabeth’s wager works. Today it did not as Brandon got the sole solve.

Sometimes movie trivia and J! players do not mix, so it’s the kind of clue that does not necessarily mean 3/3 as those of us who instagot it might expect.

I wonder if anyone got messed up with too much/too little movie knowledge in knowing she lost for Best Director while forgetting she won for Original Screenplay, so thinking she did not have an Oscar?

Brandon: Well done and well-deserved victory. You seemed very calm playing and not intimidated by the experience. It was a treat to watch you play and even better that today is not your only day.

I look forward to reading your insight to the game and the FJ! clue.

I like when this kind of FJ! clue puts a target on the search area instead of it being:

She won an Oscar for Original Screenplay more than 30 years after appearing near the end of a Best Picture winner.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Congrats Brandon! Nice win coming from 3rd place. All I could come up with was Mira Sorvino.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:22 pm I like when this kind of FJ! clue puts a target on the search area instead of it being:

She won an Oscar for Original Screenplay more than 30 years after appearing near the end of a Best Picture winner.
Just a few days ago I heard an interview with her that mentioned the Godfather appearance, and I was thinking what a great Jeopardy clue that would make. (My version was, “This Oscar-nominated director portrayed someone of the opposite sex in The Godfather”.)

Congrats Brandon!
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Brandon's clue responses with slight head tilt reminds me of Roger C.
Well played by all three. I was wondering if they would accept last names for that three name category. I knew Cooper will not work as the trend was already set...What would have happened if the first clue in that category was just the last name?
For FJ, I went the wrong way too and looking for an actress, I ended with zellweger... I am not even sure she won an Oscar. Also constantly mixing up zellweger and Witherspoon.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Yeah Brandon!!! Woo!
Leander

Post by Leander »

I was not aware that Sofia Coppola had won an Oscar, although I knew she had been nominated, but it seemed that a baby in The Godfather would probably be related to one of the actors or someone in the production, which made the Coppola connection obvious to me.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was a most disappointing game. All through the game I was thinking that Elisabeth was someone I could very much cheer for, in the mold of Jackhammer Julia Collins.

I instantly came up with Sofia Coppola for final jeopardy and had no doubt it was her, only wondering if I had gotten her first name correct. But I also had the spelling correct so no worries for me. I was, however, thinking that one or more of the contestants were going to blow it in that situation. Of course with that bet if she and the champ had both been right she would have earned the Perpetual Wrath of the wagering police on this board for her bet. So it was a no-win situation for Elisabeth; both her and the champ's aggressive play did not pay off for them.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Congrats Brandon! I knew you would wager correctly and was hoping you'd pull out a good win. :D
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Nice win against two great competitors, Brandon. Especially nicely done in FJ. I think some of your story was cut off because we didn't find out if you actually got to own a cow? You at least got to own a cow answer on J!

I didn't KNOW FJ, but I couldn't imagine anything else it could be; I narrowed in on Sofia pretty quickly.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:07 pmOf course with that bet if she and the champ had both been right she would have earned the Perpetual Wrath of the wagering police on this board for her bet. So it was a no-win situation for Elisabeth; both her and the champ's aggressive play did not pay off for them.
The tiebreaker is a lie. FFS. Also, when the possibilty exists to be passed from behind by 3rd, I don't think it's 'aggressive' to bet it all; it's the only bet worth considering (I'd also bet it all in any tie from the lead, because I'd never trust my opponent to bet 0). I actually went over the wagering with my friend during the commercial break, then stopped short and said "one of them will bet something silly so this is pointless." *sigh*

Super-instaget FJ. I was hoping for a bit of redemption after a couple of Oscar-related FJ missteps, but this wasn't so much Oscars trivia as classic movie trivia that happened to invole an Oscar winner. I thought this bit about Sofia was pretty well-known; we'll see how it polls.

CONGRATULATIONS BRANDON!!!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Congrats barandall800! Those five (!) auditions and years of preparation paid off.
Hoping for a third lap
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

Congrats on the win, Brandon! I did not know the answer either, but I reasoned it out, and as soon as Alex said that she had an inside track, I knew I had it.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Brandon!

I got FJ and was worried that it was too obvious, but I had nothing else.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $27,200 (39 R, 2 W)
LT: CB radio, point spread
FJ!: :( (I put Drew Barrymore figuring the age was about right, she was young in E.T.; as soon as Trebek said "she had an in" I knew I was wrong)

Fell for the obvious negbait on "The Oregon Trail". Like come on, how were they not expecting someone to go for that?

FJ... just... yeah. Movie trivia not my strongest suit. Thought it was going to be an actor later famous, and the Barrymore family came to mind first. Perhaps that could be something for the poll?
Last edited by NoWhammies10 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Congrats Brandon! Way to represent the board!

I saw the TV category in the first round, and I feared for the mortal existence of your two opponents. (Elisabeth proved her worthiness as a player by getting ahead of you on the last clue, if anyone was to beat you there it'd be on the buzzer.)

All three of these players played really well, you chose a great game to debut in!

(Side curiosity, how many times have 2 of the players been from the same state, especially one that has produced as few players as Utah? How many all three?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

WTG Brandon! It must have been frustrating when you were getting outbuzzed in DJ, but you hung in there, didn't get rattled, and did a nice job with the sole solve on FJ.

I'm bummed that we'll never ever see a tiebreaker clue, but I'm glad at the result of that in this game.

Instaget FJ here -- nice way to start off the week after going 2 for 5 last week.

I had to clam on Audubon because I couldn't recall all three of his names.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Since Pat bet all of his 5K on the DD I felt confident he would go all in for the FJ! round. Elisabeth was the one with the harder to predict action even though she bet more than some do on her DD wagers.
I guess we should have at least expected it would be something that ended in three 0s. If she didn't have the courage to bet all 20,000, she shouldn't have gone any higher than 9,199.

LT: Chisolm, point spread, CB radio