Wednesday, June 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 28, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENTREPRENEURS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1960s M.T. Lott was one of the fictitious names he used to buy 27,000 acres in Florida

Brandon Randall: 9000-8999=1
Nathan Flynn: 14600+3401=18001
William Baldwin: 23200-6001=17199

Correct response:
Spoiler
Walt Disney (Brandon – Hoffa) (William – Trump)

Daily Doubles
William: 800+1000
Nathan: 7200+3000
William: 15000+5000

Coryats
Brandon: 9000
Nathan: 12800
William: 19200

Combined: 41,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Brandon: Sorry to see that you missed out on the lunch experience. Thank you for three games with 61 clues in each of them. Enjoy the title of Jeopardy! champion for many years to come.

William will have a long time to look back on this game and it will be hard to avoid the what if game as far as his wagering goes for DD3 and the FJ! round, not to mention his FJ! round response.

It’s not worth it though. Betting 11K on DD3 is not going to come out of a contestant’s mouth in that situation as the guys who would do that can be counted on one hand.

Looking back that of course Nathan was going to bet to go to 18001 seems easy afterwards, but too many in his shoes have wagered all or just about all, so 6001 was the necessary way to go.

The response of Trump is at least someone with Florida ties while the right guy will seem obvious after the fact. William had the lead, played well in a black hat role and like many others before him did not get the FJ! clue right while an opponent did. It happens.

Nathan needs to learn to calm down about being beat to the buzzer as his physical reactions were too much. Playing two other smart people means less than 100% success rate for first in as the studio is not a living room.

Even when I get a FJ! clue correct I can find a way to have an error. Mine today was writing Ted Turner in thinking Georgia was close to Florida. Fortunately, the better and sure shot response came to me within five seconds.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Trump was the first name that came to mind when I saw the category but figured no way are they going to touch that hot potato.

I got Disney before the music started and was surprised it was a single get.

I am sorry our man's run has come to an end. But his 15 minutes of fame lasted 90 minutes more than most of us will get on the show. Congratulations on your success, Brandon.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I only read about Disney (and the M. T. Lott pseudonym) recently, I wouldn't have got it on stage on tape day.

For the $1600 clue in BOOKSHELF, would just "Y" (what I remembered of the title) be acceptable for "Y: The Last Man"?

(Also, I assume "wrath" would also be acceptable with "rage" and "anger" for the "Hulk's triggering sin")

A goof on the Hudson's Bay map, as they also highlighted James Bay (the "neck" of Hudson's Bay in the far south) - I don't know if, despite being highlighted, that James Bay would count, as I don't think it fulfills the "one of the largest named for a real person", although "one of the largest" is not quantifiable.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
brick

Post by brick »

Does anyone remember the exact wording of the "face palm" clue? Surrender Cobra might have been a valid response.
brick

Post by brick »

Congratulations on a great run Brandon! I'm sure it was over too soon.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

brick wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:26 pm Does anyone remember the exact wording of the "face palm" clue? Surrender Cobra might have been a valid response.
I don't remember the exact wording, but I remember thinking for a moment that Surrender Cobra might be valid, and then remembering that the clue definitely said something about "two body parts".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

brick wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:26 pm Does anyone remember the exact wording of the "face palm" clue? Surrender Cobra might have been a valid response.
2 body parts are joined in this expression & gesture meaning “Oh no!”
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

WHATTAGAME!!! GRATS NATHAN FOR THE WIN FROM BEHIND!!! :D AWESOMENESS!! :mrgreen:

Instaget for this hippy generation wild child. We thought he would buy the whole state! 47R, LT: facepalm, Logan's Run ( an old fav!),
"eye-opener" (guess they were too young?!), great game! Grats to the new champ and kudos for logical wagering FTW! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I wasn't 100% sure with my Disney guess for FJ, but I really couldn't come up with anything better. Also, I won't lie, that Trump response amused me for whatever reason.

Sorry to see you go Brandon, but congrats on a good run. Enjoy your winnings (when you get that check, of course) and that "Jeopardy Champion" moniker you get to rock for life.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Did anyone else 50-50-90 the Turkish strait DD with Dardanelles?
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I also was on Trump for a while but changed in time. Ran "sins". Cracking good wager by Nathan!
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

dhkendall wrote: A goof on the Hudson's Bay map, as they also highlighted James Bay (the "neck" of Hudson's Bay in the far south) -
I was waiting for a reversal on William for adding the 's to Hudson, but when it didn't happen at the DD I figured they were going to give him a mulligan.

Also, Alex was quick to assume William was going for "our current president" when it was far more logical for Donald Trump's father to be of the right age to be buying mega acreage in the 1960s.

So refreshing to see all three make the best possible FJ wager after so much fail wagering in recent weeks. For that, it's a well deserved win for Nathan.
MarkBarrett wrote: Nathan needs to learn to calm down about being beat to the buzzer as his physical reactions were too much. Playing two other smart people means less than 100% success rate for first in as the studio is not a living room.

Very accurate assessment, and I'll still be rooting for him in his next game(s) as I like his otherwise good attitude.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sorry to see you go, Brandon. Glad you had a good ride.

I suppose I'll grant that proverbially, pride goeth before a fall. But Proverbially, pride goeth before destruction. It's an haughty spirit that goeth before a fall.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

If I ever hear the term "microaggression" again, it'll be too soon :x
thought of Disney, rejected because "he's an entertainer, not an entrepreneur" :shock:
Guessed Ponzi just to have something :roll:
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:32 pm
dhkendall wrote: A goof on the Hudson's Bay map, as they also highlighted James Bay (the "neck" of Hudson's Bay in the far south) -
I was waiting for a reversal on William for adding the 's to Hudson, but when it didn't happen at the DD I figured they were going to give him a mulligan.
I looked it up immediately after seeing that clue, and Hudson's Bay is definitely acceptable usage (although that appellation was used more in olden times). I'm guessing that the writers instructed ahead of time that the response would be acceptable with or without the possessive.

I had Trump for FJ. The 1960s seemed a little too early for him, but I couldn't come up with anything better. Disney wasn't the type of entrepreneur who was going to cross my mind.

Congrats Brandon on being a 2xer and providing 3 days of great TV.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I would have thought that this FJ would poll in the 90s; Disney's real estate acquisitions were legendary. But I guess it may be another easy one for those of us of a certain age.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I would have missed the Nighthawks question by answering Nighthawks at the Diner (as I am familiar with the Tom Waits album). I didn't know the shorter name was that of the painting.

FJ was an instaget and I'm shocked only one contestant got it.