Friday, June 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 30, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

As Leif Garrett said in World's Dumbest Criminals; "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid."

It did seem that Allan had the right idea in terms of betting, but the current champ and the new champ had made poor bets. Clint made a poor bet from either way you saw it. Clint bets to cover the leader and still falls behind Allan, but also fails to cover Allan's doubled bet. Basically, Clint did what I would call a "Double Whammy" kind of bet. Jon's bet didn't make sense at all, considering that he hit a "Double Whammy" bet as well. He didn't at all think about Allan's doubled bet AND even think about covering Clint's money double bet.

As far as FJ! goes, somehow...I would really seem to think of this as more of a 'World Currency' kind of clue, not on 'Plants'.

What a weird way to end the week to ask me.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It sounded like Johnny cracked up when introducing Alex. I loved it.

Political for $200 froze my brain. Female = Hillary Clinton, but she's a Democrat. Did some female run for Republican that I forgot about? Oh, duh.

NHO "Disco nap".

I actually recognized every title in Novels, but got only $400.

Ran 3 Letters, 3 Letters.

WLT Quebec at $400?

I had "nominates" but couldn't figure what it was an anagram of. That was a tough category. "No Gore" was a garbage clue.

There's a theft in "It's a Wonderful Life"? NHO "It's Alive" or "It's Complicated".

Lach Trash: According to Jim, low-key

No guess on FJ! The edelweiss is a flower?!
Prasutagus

Post by Prasutagus »

cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 pm Question for the cheezy one, today's game featured 3 men, something that in my opinion is becoming more and more rare. In the last 3 years let's say, how many shows have had 3 women compared to 3 men? I'm thinking 3 women has occurred at least twice as much as 3 men.
Out of 180 regular-play games so far this season, there have been 10 with three women and 8 with three men. Last season had 7 games of each, and Season 31 had 5 with three women versus 10 with three men.

Over the last three seasons there have been 14 tournament games with three men and 0 with three women.
For those regular-play games in the most recent three seasons, are the numbers of single-gender games about what you'd expect if the new contestants in each game were chosen randomly? Or are the producers still choosing new contestants at a rate that would prefer mixed-gender games, as they did in a sample of games from 2004 to 2008?

The article in Applied Economics Letters found evidence of "active gender balancing" in selecting contestants for Jeopardy!.

Based on data from the J! Archive of 613 regular-play games aired from 1 December 2004 to 26 May 2008 (the sample period begins the day after Ken Jennings's streak ended), the authors found as follows:

-The 1219 individuals in the sample are almost evenly divided by gender: 624 men and 595 women.

-"In addition to selecting an equal number of men and women to appear on the show in total, the producers seem to actively manage the gender ratio on a day-to-day basis."

-"There are far fewer instances than expected of the two new players being the same gender."

-Looking at the two new players only (middle podium and right podium), and also excluding six games with multiple returning champs following tied games, the authors found that in 125 games the new players were of the same gender (71 MM and 54 FF) compared to 482 games where the new players were of different genders (237 MF and 245 FM).
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

Prasutagus wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 pm
cheezguyty wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:36 pm Question for the cheezy one, today's game featured 3 men, something that in my opinion is becoming more and more rare. In the last 3 years let's say, how many shows have had 3 women compared to 3 men? I'm thinking 3 women has occurred at least twice as much as 3 men.
Out of 180 regular-play games so far this season, there have been 10 with three women and 8 with three men. Last season had 7 games of each, and Season 31 had 5 with three women versus 10 with three men.

Over the last three seasons there have been 14 tournament games with three men and 0 with three women.
For those regular-play games in the most recent three seasons, are the numbers of single-gender games about what you'd expect if the new contestants in each game were chosen randomly? Or are the producers still choosing new contestants at a rate that would prefer mixed-gender games, as they did in a sample of games from 2004 to 2008?
Going back to November 3, 2013 (right after the final game with returning co-champs), and excluding the messy stretch of games at the very end of 2015 and into early 2016 (where Claudia Corriere didn't return, Ashley Wilson was brought back, and the triple zero game which led to three new contestants), there have been 526 regular-play games. Here are the gender breakdowns of the challengers in those games:
Spoiler
Overall:

Code: Select all

F	531
M	521
By pair of challengers:

Code: Select all

FF	 56
FM	192
MF	227
MM	 51
By podium: