Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

User avatar
dinghammer
No Relation
Posts: 866
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dinghammer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:22 pm

alamble wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm
That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.
Actually, it was proof that Occam's Razor does work, as Berkeley is the home to the flagship campus of the University of California system and should be the first one that comes to mind when asked about it.
Santa Cruz, home of the Banana Slugs, is the first UC campus I always think of, so it took me a couple seconds to move on from that and through the As (no UC Alameda! (and yes, Berkeley is in Alameda County)), and by that time, Jon had answered.

User avatar
MTGcollegestudent
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Wow...Jon completely went berserk on his bet after a poor haphazard bet from Friday. He didn't bet enough to cover from 3rd or 2nd when he became champ, and now he became a 2-time champ because of this?! It amazes me. I thought from watching those numbers, we were hoping for another 1-time champ, but...that ends with a solo get? Talk about rolling the odds. Jon is a balls-deep gutsy competitor and made it work.
Last edited by MTGcollegestudent on Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3647
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:40 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 pm
alamble wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm
That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.
Actually, it was proof that Occam's Razor does work, as Berkeley is the home to the flagship campus of the University of California system and should be the first one that comes to mind when asked about it.
[citation needed]
No, not really.

I'm guessing 90% of those who got this one correct thought of Berkeley first and then tried to think if there was any "A" city with a UC to bump Berkeley from first alphabetically.
Bartleby wrote:the 717 didn't debut until 1999
True, but this one is a bit of a cheat. The 717 is really the MD-95, which is a DC-9 derivative. It was rebadged 717 after Boeing's merger with McDonnell Douglas.

User avatar
Ironhorse
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 175
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:12 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:14 pm
alamble wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:34 pm
That College DD was proof that Occam's Razor doesn't work. "Well, alphabetically first. Must be an A college, right? Oh wait, there are no A colleges in California and oh wait time's up." For all I know, it could've been a G. Or a Q.
Actually, it was proof that Occam's Razor does work, as Berkeley is the home to the flagship campus of the University of California system and should be the first one that comes to mind when asked about it.
[citation needed]
No, it's common knowledge.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8458
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:14 pm

My first thought was actually Anaheim. But that isn't in northern California and no other A cities came to mind so I settled on Berkeley.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1291
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm
Location: Louisville KY

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by teapot37 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Chalk me up as another one for the Concorde, but I was fairly certain 1970 was too early for that. I was a bit surprised that the 747 debuted that late.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

User avatar
DBear
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 540
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:59 pm

Figured Pat Nixon wouldn't be there unless it was government-related.
So I guessed the first Amtrak train... :roll:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8458
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:06 pm

DBear wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:59 pm
Figured Pat Nixon wouldn't be there unless it was government-related.
So I guessed the first Amtrak train... :roll:
Amtrak started in 1971, so you weren't too far off in your timeline.

User avatar
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:35 am

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cat Hammarskjold » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm

So are 747's and other two-aisle aircraft only for international flights these days, or do they do some domestic runs? I've flown from some fairly busy airports to others, like from Denver to LAX or Philadelphia to Miami or Washington National to Miami, but the fact that these planes are real fascinates me, and I was just curious what airports I'd have to fly to and from to be on one of these things. I don't have a passport.

And yes, I understand the extreme irony of someone from the Dayton area who is really familiar with military aircraft being a complete dunce when it comes to civilian aircraft.
I identify as a Jeopardy! fan, and use who/what pronouns.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5313
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Volante » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:11 pm

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:49 pm
So are 747's and other two-aisle aircraft only for international flights these days, or do they do some domestic runs? I've flown from some fairly busy airports to others, like from Denver to LAX or Philadelphia to Miami or Washington National to Miami, but the fact that these planes are real fascinates me, and I was just curious what airports I'd have to fly to and from to be on one of these things. I don't have a passport.

And yes, I understand the extreme irony of someone from the Dayton area who is really familiar with military aircraft being a complete dunce when it comes to civilian aircraft.
Well, it's technically domestic... when I flew to Hawaii last year (Hawaiian Airlines), the LAX inbound and outbound legs were twin aisle Airbus A330s.

More domestically, the Denver-LAX (United) leg of my return from Baltimore trip is going to be on a 777.

That's it though...

User avatar
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:09 pm
Location: Cynthiana, KY

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:20 pm

33 right.

Map (5), College (3), Health (2), Mary Tyler Moore (4), Make (3), "ALL" (1)
President (3), Letter (0), Underwater (3), Anagram (3), Marvel (2), "LOVE" (4)

Lach Trash: To Sir, with Love, Ross Perot

Since the 777 and 787 were more recent, I just assumed that it was around the time of the 747.

User avatar
TenPoundHammer
Future Wheel Winner
Posts: 5953
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 am

So since when do we christen planes?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8458
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:31 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 am
So since when do we christen planes?
At least since January 15, 1970.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2041
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:09 am

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:39 am
So since when do we christen planes?
Since December 17, 1903.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:43 pm

econgator wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 am
I thought the AF1 convention had been around and at least applied to any random plane the POTUS was on.
You raise an interesting question; I'm not sure that any president has been on a non-military aircraft while in office and I don't know what the call would be in that case. But the "[service name] One" convention applies to any military aircraft POTUS is on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One (Nixon is the only one to have flown with this call sign).
Very good info, thanks! We need to watch for that on FJ -- would make a great question.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8494
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:25 pm

econgator wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 pm
AFRET CMS wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:52 pm
twelvefootboy wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:03 am
I thought the AF1 convention had been around and at least applied to any random plane the POTUS was on.
You raise an interesting question; I'm not sure that any president has been on a non-military aircraft while in office and I don't know what the call would be in that case. But the "[service name] One" convention applies to any military aircraft POTUS is on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_One (Nixon is the only one to have flown with this call sign).
I'm surprised that Nixon is the only one to have done so, [best attempt at non partisan comments] I believe Trump had his own aircraft before he became President, and he doesn't strike me as the type to give up any more of the life he had before than he absolutely has to, you're saying he's never flown on his personal private jet since he was elected? [/best attempt at non partisan comments]
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 873
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:09 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:18 am
I got Yonkers, but it was a little tough. My first thought was Syracuse, but saw that wouldn't work.
I grew up in Yonkers, so that one was a gimme. Had more trouble with San Diego

Took me far too long to come up with Love's Labours Lost - probably would've been negged!!

LT: X, Ross Perot (also shocked they missed it)

I got FJ on a guess, but I generally do poorly on anything relating to planes, trains or automobiles. Help!
Last edited by morbeedo on Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8458
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm guessing the Secret Service pretty much told him he wasn't allowed to take his own plane.

As for Nixon, he was in air at the moment Ford was being sworn in. I wonder what his call sign changed to?

User avatar
AFRET CMS
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 357
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:48 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm
I'm guessing the Secret Service pretty much told him he wasn't allowed to take his own plane.

As for Nixon, he was in air at the moment Ford was being sworn in. I wonder what his call sign changed to?
According to protocol, once he ceased being president, Air Force One should have changed call signs to "SAM xxxx". As a practical matter, they may have retained the call sign until landing, but that would have assumed no need for Ford to be airborne simultaneously. As with Bush on 9/11, sometimes presidents take off with haste.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8494
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Monday, July 3, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:17 pm

AFRET CMS wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:05 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:11 pm
I'm guessing the Secret Service pretty much told him he wasn't allowed to take his own plane.

As for Nixon, he was in air at the moment Ford was being sworn in. I wonder what his call sign changed to?
According to protocol, once he ceased being president, Air Force One should have changed call signs to "SAM xxxx". As a practical matter, they may have retained the call sign until landing, but that would have assumed no need for Ford to be airborne simultaneously. As with Bush on 9/11, sometimes presidents take off with haste.
But wasn't Nixon already effectively out of office when he got in the plane, despite Ford not being sworn in? Nixon's presidency ended when his resignation was recieved by the Secretary of State (PS what makes the SoS the figure to receive such things?) at 11:35, Ford's swearing in was at 12:05, but Nixon left shortly after 9:00, was he still in the air 2 and a half hours later? (Take note that swearing in doesn't always mean that you're automatically president from that point, as those who like to debunk the David Chase Atkinson myth like to use in their arsenal (Although that makes me wonder about those eight presidents that succeeded their dead predecessors, was there an interregnum of a few hours?))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alietr, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 11 guests