Summer Hiatus Challenge writer's guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge writer's guide

Post by rjaguar3 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 pm

I'll be posting the submission form for submitting categories.

Here's Paucle's writer's guide (slightly edited) with tips on writing questions for the Summer Hiatus Challenge:
Thank you for your kind offer to help bear the writing load during this year's SHC.

If you've written for this game before, you probably have an idea of what we're going for. Difficulty should range between a regular season DJ round and a Jeopardy round for the TOC. (A multi-day champ should have a little better than a 50-50 shot at the bottom clue in your category).

Clues should range between 20 & 30 syllables. Longer or shorter clues are OK, but may be edited for length. On that note, please don't be offended if
I add some extra TOM to a short clue, re-word a long one, or change the order of clues in your category. Sometimes messing with the length of a
clue also affects the difficulty.

While I will gratefully accept and consider whatever you send, the biggest need I have is for "Interdisciplinary" categories and "hard" sciences. As
you know, there are eight "disciplines" in Jeopardy -- Literature, History, Geography, Science, Arts, Religion/Mythology, Movies & TV, and Pop Culture.
(There are two other kinds of categories, Wordplay and "Staples", which are Interdisciplinary in their own way.) Most Jeopardy boards have one category that finds a common link between responses across disciplines, with clues that are tied to the particular discipline the response comes from. For instance, a "Quasi-Numerical Names" category might have clues about Mark Twain and the Firth of Forth.

You get the idea.

A good interdisciplinary category will cover at least 3 of the major disciplines, and won't hit any single discipline more than twice.

Two more things -- please send material that nobody on this message board has seen before. Also, please be available during the week your category goes live in case I need a ruling on an acceptable response.

OK, one more. Please let me know if and how you want to be credited for your writing. Some writers prefer anonymity; others don't mind taking a bow
for a particularly nice piece of work.

Thanks again for your help.

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge writer's guide

Post by Blue Lion » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:55 pm

Bumped.