Tuesday, July 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, July 11, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by morbeedo »

nlw44 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:11 pm As Elijah Baley discussed above, having time to write down - legibly - these two relatively long country names means you have significantly less than 30 seconds to actually come up with the answer. Anything that requires significant writing is, to my mind, a pretty tough FJ, regardless of subject. Being able to type the answer rather than having to hand-write it would help immensely. I get that TPTB obviously prefer the personal touch of handwriting, but I'd like to see them try some of these long ones themselves.
Well, if you figure it out with just a few seconds to spare, couldn't you just write 'Swaziland & CH' ? What's the rule on abbreviations for FJ? I guess it helps to know the standard country/state abbreviations
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $24,000
33 R/5 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Paleozoic Era (DD), Giuseppe Verdi

I came up with Switzerland and Swaziland with just a few seconds to spare. I counted it, but it would have been nip and tuck to get both down before the light pen stopped working.

I do think they should invite Scott back. The rule about not taking away rebound money on a reversal is fine, but in the rare case when the judges' failure to initially approve a correct response costs a player a win (and $20,000+), TPTB should give the player another chance.
Sprinkles are for winners.
French Rage
Valued Contributor

Post by French Rage »

So it seems from whenever Italian composers comes up as a category, the answers will always be Verdi, Vivaldi, Puccini, Rossini, and then some mystery fifth answer, in some order, right? :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 am
nlw44 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:11 pm As Elijah Baley discussed above, having time to write down - legibly - these two relatively long country names means you have significantly less than 30 seconds to actually come up with the answer. Anything that requires significant writing is, to my mind, a pretty tough FJ, regardless of subject. Being able to type the answer rather than having to hand-write it would help immensely. I get that TPTB obviously prefer the personal touch of handwriting, but I'd like to see them try some of these long ones themselves.
Well, if you figure it out with just a few seconds to spare, couldn't you just write 'Swaziland & CH' ? What's the rule on abbreviations for FJ? I guess it helps to know the standard country/state abbreviations

I don't know about CH, as you could have been starting to write China. I think I'd take Switz.
Mathew5000
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Mathew5000 »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 am Well, if you figure it out with just a few seconds to spare, couldn't you just write 'Swaziland & CH' ? What's the rule on abbreviations for FJ? I guess it helps to know the standard country/state abbreviations
I don't know about CH, as you could have been starting to write China. I think I'd take Switz.
But haven't we established that "could have been starting to write" is not relevant in the judging on FJ? So that where Massachusetts is a correct response, "MA" is accepted (even though it could have been the start of Maryland) but "Massachuset" is ruled incorrect. By that standard, "CH" or "SUI" should be acceptable for Switzerland but not "Switz."

Edited to add: https://www.unc.edu/~rowlett/units/codes/country.htm a nice table of the ISO two- and three-letter country codes, along with the UN vehicle codes and IOC codes. Those vehicle codes in general are presumably not acceptable as FJ responses (can you imagine accepting just "A" for Austria?) but is there any precedent on Jeopardy for ruling the ISO or IOC country codes as a correct response?
Last edited by Mathew5000 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Mathew5000 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:55 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:18 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:33 am Well, if you figure it out with just a few seconds to spare, couldn't you just write 'Swaziland & CH' ? What's the rule on abbreviations for FJ? I guess it helps to know the standard country/state abbreviations
But haven't we established that "could have been starting to write" is not relevant in the judging on FJ? So that where Massachusetts is a correct response, "MA" is accepted (even though it could have been the start of Maryland) but "Massachuset" is ruled incorrect. By that standard, "CH" or "SUI" should be acceptable for Switzerland but not "Switz."
The show has used "Switz." as an abbreviation for "Switzerland" in several clues: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

cheezguyty wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:07 pm The show has used "Switz." as an abbreviation for "Switzerland" in several clues: http://www.j-archive.com/search.php?sea ... mit=Search
OK, fair enough then on "Switz", especially since it's in Merriam-Webster as an abbreviation of Switzerland. (The Collins Dictionary also lists "Swit." as a valid abbreviation.)

Also found a list from the U.S. Department of State of what it calls "Country Acronyms". Examples:

ARM (Armenia)
ASTL (Australia)
AUST (Austria)
IMD (India)
PRK (North Korea)
KOR (South Korea)
STCN (St. Kitts and Nevis)
SZLD (Swaziland)
SWTZ (Switzerland)
GRBR (United Kingdom)

I wonder whether any of those would be accepted by the Jeopardy judges? Presumably this list is not much used outside the Bureau of Consular Affairs. It's the first time I've seen "IMD" as an abbreviation for "India". I guess they figured that "IND", "INDI", "INDA", or "IDIA" could too easily be taken for Indonesia.