Thursday, July 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Cyric29

Re: Thursday, July 13, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Cyric29 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 pm

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:50 pm
The second straight day that Gavin's been champ, but not by any coincidence. Yes, this was one of those "What if" moments. Terry's backfire on the DD killed his stride and Gavin must be breathing a sigh of relief right there for the fact that during FJ!, Jill bet something, and she did...all of her money. If Jill was smart, she could have bet $0 to become champ just in case of a bad clue she wasn't comfortable. Nicholson and Eastwood weren't bad guesses for the most, but I don't think Nicholson hasn't played a movie role with the same character, neither did Eastwood, at least in my count. Were there any Clint Eastwood roles where he had to play the same character twice?

Nicholson played Jake Gittes in both Chinatown and The Two Jakes.

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:37 pm

35 right.

Baseball (4), Poetry (4), 3 Dimension (4), Webby (3), Argument (5), "-ED" Homonym (3)
Game (3), Inventive (2), 12 Letter (2), Iowa (2), Spirit (1), "M" Painters (2)

Lach Trash: pealed/peeled, longshoreman

Instaget FJ.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 pm

MarkBarrett wrote: Clint Eastwood has played the same character in Dirty Harry movies and in those orang movies.
I'm not positive but I think the leads in A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More were the same character.

A Wray
Contributor

Post by A Wray » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 pm

I have a serious problem with that last DD. "Word for extreme pain" suggests we're looking for a noun, inasmuch as "word for" normally means "word meaning." I got to "excruciating" immediately, but then thought, "Wait, what's the noun form of that?" I was stumped. Terry's answer of "crucifixion" indicates that he was thinking along the same lines. Now, can "word for extreme pain" mean "word used to describe extreme pain"? I suppose so. It might not be wrong, but it's highly misleading, and it cost him the game.

A Wray
Contributor

Post by A Wray » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 pm

Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I searched the last two months of games for clues that ask contestants to name a "word for" something. I did not find any examples in which what followed "word for" wasn't a definition of the intended response. "Extreme pain" is not a definition of "excruciating." I maintain that this was a lousy clue and Terry has a case to be brought back.

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:25 pm

A Wray wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:15 pm
Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy, I searched the last two months of games for clues that ask contestants to name a "word for" something. I did not find any examples in which what followed "word for" wasn't a definition of the intended response. "Extreme pain" is not a definition of "excruciating." I maintain that this was a lousy clue and Terry has a case to be brought back.
Only if "crucifixion" had 12 letters to satisfy the category and Merriam-Webster didn't have this definition of excruciating: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/excruciating

Wheatley

Post by Wheatley » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:35 pm

I had a funny miss on "The Huffington Post," I was thinking "I think it's Huffington, but she doesn't sound like she's from Georgia."

Jill's flower on her glasses looks strange, did it not work in her hair?

This was my best first round in a while, 21 right, 1 wrong (wild guess trying trying to run "avian poetry")

Lach Trash: Pealed/peeled and Excruciating, which is how it felt when Terry lost his payoff on such a nice wager.

That final jeopardy was mean - Harrison Ford is only a year off of being right with Han in '77 and '15
A Wray wrote:
Crucifixion is 11 letters long, the category was "12-letter words."
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

A Wray
Contributor

Post by A Wray » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:25 pm
A Wray wrote:
Only if "crucifixion" had 12 letters to satisfy the category and Merriam-Webster didn't have this definition of excruciating: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/excruciating
Those definitions prove my point. They are adjective phrases, while "extreme pain" is a noun phrase. "Extreme pain" could never be a definition of "excruciating." And he can hardly be faulted for giving an incorrect answer if there was no correct answer.

And again, I'm willing to concede that "word for" could mean "word used to describe." I just have yet to find any example of the show using the phrase in that way. At best, it was sloppy and misleading.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 pm

A Wray wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:45 pm
I have a serious problem with that last DD. "Word for extreme pain" suggests we're looking for a noun, inasmuch as "word for" normally means "word meaning." I got to "excruciating" immediately, but then thought, "Wait, what's the noun form of that?" I was stumped. Terry's answer of "crucifixion" indicates that he was thinking along the same lines. Now, can "word for extreme pain" mean "word used to describe extreme pain"? I suppose so. It might not be wrong, but it's highly misleading, and it cost him the game.
There was nothing wrong with the clue, which didn't "suggest" any part of speech. Extreme pain is excruciating; hence "excruciating" is a word for extreme pain. I actually found the clue somewhat easy for a bottom box DD. Cross leads to crux or thereabouts in Latin. Hmm, what word associated with extreme pain has "crux" or some similar letter combo in it? To call the clue "misleading" is silly. It cost the contestant the game because unfortunately he didn't solve it, but that wasn't due to any infirmity in the clue. (And kudos to Terry for that DD wager, BTW. He was trying to win the game.)

FJ wasn't quite an instaget for me but once I went to 1976 and that year's Best Picture winner, Stallone followed, although I hadn't realized that he had been nominated for Creed.

BobF

Post by BobF » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:51 pm

I think excruciating needs to be a weekly poll question so we can see how high it polls.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:10 pm

For FJ, my first guess was Indiana Jones/Ford.. didn't have the years for first and last installments. Went to Rocky, but didn't know 2015 movie. So, ended with Stallone as a desperate attempt. Glad it worked out.
I went with Ford as well, but for Star Wars/Han Solo, as it was all I could think of.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Hadn't had a chance to scroll thru all the posts, so let's see if anyone else remember this final http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... cruciating

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:35 pm

A Wray wrote:
Only if he had said "excruciation" and they didn't accept it, would they have cause to bring him back.

MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 pm

An article about Jill: https://springfieldbusinessjournal.com/ ... -gameshow/

Other Google-fu turned up other images with her and the flower whatever the meaning is behind it.

davey

Post by davey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:29 pm

A Wray wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 pm
badgerfellow wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:25 pm
A Wray wrote:
Those definitions prove my point. They are adjective phrases, while "extreme pain" is a noun phrase. "Extreme pain" could never be a definition of "excruciating." And he can hardly be faulted for giving an incorrect answer if there was no correct answer.

And again, I'm willing to concede that "word for" could mean "word used to describe." I just have yet to find any example of the show using the phrase in that way. At best, it was sloppy and misleading.
Speaking of sloppy, the clue read "term for extreme pain."
Say your doctor is examining you...
"How bad is your pain?"
"It's excruciating!"
You've just used a term to describe your pain. The "Latin for 'cross'..." part gave us only one choice. Crucifixion doesn't fit the clue, even if it miraculously gets 12 letters.

davey

Post by davey » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:36 pm

I see a lot of Oscar-season movies, but not Creed. I wonder if I had if Stallone would have come to mind? Still '76 should have brought Rocky to mind and made the connection for me... :evil:

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:08 am

A Wray wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 pm
Yes, this is just being pedantic. I'm sure Terry knew what was being asked for, he just couldn't pull it.

I figure tonight's FJ must have been fairly easy because I was able to get it. Not instantly, but 1976 led me to Rocky. I wasn't sure Stallone was nominated again for "Creed" but it seemed reasonable.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 am

Category 13 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:44 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Clint Eastwood has played the same character in Dirty Harry movies and in those orang movies.
I'm not positive but I think the leads in A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More were the same character.
:
And Hang Em High too I think (is a movie). I took these to be the famous "spaghetti westerns", and the cowboy was "the man with no name". I thought they were pretty cool, at an age when I thought movies were just vainglorious wastes of time.

Did not get FJ - tried to think of a potential re-make where they bring back a character for a nostalgic cameo. Thought of Poseidon adventure, but it was a turkey both times and I think the remake is a little older than 2015.

I think the excruciating clue was bogus and should have read "extremely painful" instead of "extreme pain".
- All science is either physics or stamp collecting. - Ernest Rutherford (Winner of Nobel price in CHEMISTRY)-

davey

Post by davey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 am
Category 13 wrote:
:
And Hang Em High too I think (is a movie). I took these to be the famous "spaghetti westerns", and the cowboy was "the man with no name". I thought they were pretty cool, at an age when I thought movies were just vainglorious wastes of time.
Hang 'Em High is an American picture. The third of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns is the most famous of them, The Good, the Bad & the Ugly.

jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:57 am

twelvefootboy wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:21 am
Category 13 wrote:
I think the excruciating clue was bogus and should have read "extremely painful" instead of "extreme pain".
I have been following this discussion about 'excruciating' and yes, there are points to be made on both sides. But just personally, I think I'm with you, twelvefootboy. For example, if you say. "That experience was excrutiating," Don't you mean it was 'extremely painful? I just think the writers should have taken a bit more care when they wrote this one.