Friday, July 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Friday, July 14, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:00 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 pm Abbreviated for $600 had a totally massive error.
Are you going to say what it actually is?
I think it's clear that I was joking, but since I think it went over some heads, I was saying that "uproarious" was the obviously massive error because Seinfeld is one of the least funny things in the history of humankind.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Slowly catching up...
French Rage wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:33 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:12 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm
Was that last daily double really difficult or am I missing something? Is it well known that Barbarians are derived from Greeks?
That was probably my least favorite clue of the game. I might have said Greeks just to avoid clamming, but I found the clue to be misleading. The word "barbarian" comes from the Greek language, since evidently they used "bar-bar-bar-bar" to imitate foreign languages (somewhat like we use "blah-blah-blah", but I found the clue misleading -- I thought originally they were looking for the peoples or nationality the Greeks thought were Barbarians. Phoenicians? Egyptians? Macedonians? Assyrians? I thought the clue was badly phrased.
Yeah I went with Greeks because I knew the word came from them and it's the only applicable answer I could think of, but it was hard to tell exactly what the question was asking for.
On the flip side, I thought it was obvious they were asking for the language 'barbarian' came from.

I had a freaking 27/27 J! round and with a geography themed category left, I was TASTING that 30/30... (And I'm not going to blame the interviews, it felt slowly paced despite that. Triple stumpers and wrong answers kill more time than interviews do.)

As far as FJ goes, I saw it, wrote Edgar Bergen and stopped thinking. Then 'McCarthy' got revealed... :oops:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:44 pm Negged with Jesus on Bible for $400,
When the quote was "There cometh one mightier than I after me"? Who could Jesus possibly say that about?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I was flabbergasted when they accepted just McCarthy. Looking at the clue, I suppose they kind of had to. But that just makes me think they should've rewritten the clue or given an instruction. No way should anyone get credit for this just by giving the last name of the most famous ventriloquist's dummy ever.