Monday, July 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 17, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DEADLY CREATURES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The National Ocean Service says one lethal type of this bone-free creature is the most venomous marine animal

Gavin Borchert: 18200+17500=35700
Deborah Elliott: 21800+15000=36800
Graydon Mears: 7200+7000=14200

Correct response:
Spoiler
jellyfish

Daily Doubles
Deborah: 600+1000
Deborah: 7800+4000
Graydon: 5200+4000

Coryats
Gavin: 18200
Deborah: 18400
Graydon: 4400

Combined: 41,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My impression of Todd Giese holding on to the 15th slot for the TOC:

Deborah Elliott’s impression of J! great: Larissa Kelly

The Daily Doubles were begging for 3/3 today and the players did indeed convert all of them including the image of the airliner with all of its Cyrillic letters on display.

The image the players did not get shows how one common medical scope may be known visually, but not by name.

Dang, I was in the right area by coincidence wearing an aquarium shirt today, but not the specific creature even though I do have a shirt with that design.

Good for Gavin taking a try on clue 30 of the DJ! round to attempt to have the lead for the FJ! round with no real penalty for guessing.

Another shot at the tie scenario was lost with Deborah getting the 1600 clue to break the 20200 apiece on the scoreboard.

The FJ! clue was a get since I avoided any temptation to overthink it and complicate it needlessly. If anyone went a level up to something such as Portuguese man of war I get the possibility of the clue making someone work too hard.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pm My impression of Todd Giese holding on to the 15th slot for the TOC:

Deborah Elliott’s impression of J! great: Larissa Kelly

The Daily Doubles were begging for 3/3 today and the players did indeed convert all of them including the image of the airliner with all of its Cyrillic letters on display.

The image the players did not get shows how one common medical scope may be known visually, but not by name.

Dang, I was in the right area by coincidence wearing an aquarium shirt today, but not the specific creature even though I do have a shirt with that design.

Good for Gavin taking a try on clue 30 of the DJ! round to attempt to have the lead for the FJ! round with no real penalty for guessing.

Another shot at the tie scenario was lost with Deborah getting the 1600 clue to break the 20200 apiece on the scoreboard.

The FJ! clue was a get since I avoided any temptation to overthink it and complicate it needlessly. If anyone went a level up to something such as Portuguese man of war I get the possibility of the clue making someone work too hard.
Based on having seen the Will Smith movie Seven Pounds, I think the actual type is the box jellyfish. But the clue was quite clear on wanting (or at least accepting) a more generic response. --Bob
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Eel first came to mind but jellyfish came quickly after. Stuck with the correct one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Anybody else say shark?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:25 pm Anybody else say shark?
I think the "bone-free" was a giveaway. They probably shouldn't have included that in the clue. Then who knows what could have happened?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: otoscope, "Hey Joe", Parker's Markers.

I know of Robert B. Parker because he blatantly refuses to use anything other than "said" for dialogue, which my mom and I found out the hard way makes his audiobooks absolutely excruciating to listen to.

Frank's Cranks cost me the run in the category. Almost WAG'd "Hank's" because it was the only name I could think of that rhymed with Cranks.

Exploits can be heroic?

NHO "executor" or "beatitudes" either.

"By a [part of head]" mis-Pavloved me to "by a hair". Any chance that'd fly with the judges?

Polymers -> monomers was a huge leap. Can we poll that, given the TS in the top box?

Translating "plastic" was very tough for $600 too, given the two "close but no cigar" answers. That needed to be pinned way better.

WLT "fuselage" at $400? "Spindle" had me thinking propeller.

Highways were blue on old maps? I could've guessed about 800 other colors. Most old maps I've seen have them in red.

I didn't expect to run the Jimi Hendrix category.

Totally blanked on Steinbeck. No idea how since my mom's a big fan of his.

Bone free and venomous? Must be a jellyfish.
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm Bone free and venomous? Must be a jellyfish.
Sigh. If you asked me yesterday, I would have said jellyfish. Then I ran across the blue-ringed octopus. Turns out, almost every I can find reference calls it "one of the most venomous".
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Lach trash: Exploit, monomer

Would you accept "Malleable" for that triple-stumper that was something like "the Greek word "plastikos" means this, a property of all plastics"?

Easy FJ
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I instantly thought of jellyfish, but I spent the rest of the think music dithering over whether to switch to snail. That's probably right too, except I don't know what the National Ocean Service says about cone snails.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

dinghammer wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:32 pm I instantly thought of jellyfish, but I spent the rest of the think music dithering over whether to switch to snail. That's probably right too, except I don't know what the National Ocean Service says about cone snails.
I also started with jellyfish, but switched to octopus, thinking of the highly venomous blue-ringed octopus.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bob78164 wrote: This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
I so knew he was going to do that.
Meanwhile, Graydon had a good case for staying pat, given Gavin's propensity to overwager. They both made out like a bandit with the relatively easy clue.

Lach Trash: Parker's Markers, Hey Joe, Stabilizers

The Jimi Hendrix category served up my easiest slam dunk run in quite a while.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: Hey Joe, Parker's markers

I went with eel for FJ. The actual answer seems obvious now.
davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm Lach trash: Exploit, monomer

Would you accept "Malleable" for that triple-stumper that was something like "the Greek word "plastikos" means this, a property of all plastics"?

Easy FJ
I would. Interesting, though, that the clue asked for a "quality" and Alex told us it was "shapable." Noun to adjective, kind of like
(spoiler from last Thurs)
Spoiler
"term" to "excruciating"

First went with squid, changed to jellyfish in plenty of time. Glad I didn't think of the Portuguese man of war, I might have changed again...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm Lach trash: Exploit, monomer

Easy FJ
I don't think Malleable works. Plastics can indeed be hammered into shapes, but generally rupture at low deformations. This clue is a techno-nightmare. We use plastic in materials science to describe bodies that can be shaped and retain the new shape; as opposed to elastic materials which rebound to their previous shape, or at least partially so. It gets hairier when we introduce the viscosity elements such as pseudoplastic, thixotropic, dilatatant, and so on. They should have found a little better way to set this clue up for a top box.

FJ was an Occam's play. Do eels have bones? They seem to have teeth. I never heard much about them having venom. Does the shark cartilage count as no-bones? Finally didn't think about it any more and went with Sponge Bob's hobby.

Debbie made a believer out of me in the Royalty category. And Gavin kept nailing hard YEKIOYDS also. I thought Stabilizers was an easy one without the picture, you just hear "horizontal and vertical _______" regularly and the TOM was straightforward as well for a bottom box clue.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Wheatley wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:54 pm Would you accept "Malleable" for that triple-stumper that was something like "the Greek word "plastikos" means this, a property of all plastics"?
Mrs P and I said malleable/malleability as well. My biased feeling is they'd have to accept it. I agree with TPH that it wasn't the greatest clue.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:26 pmThe Daily Doubles were begging for 3/3 today and the players did indeed convert all of them including the image of the airliner with all of its Cyrillic letters on display.
Yeah, even knowing the Greek alphabet gets you there on this one. You could get this DD without ever having heard of the airline. Just read the word in the picture.