Tuesday, July 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 pm I guess I'm the only one who's missed it so far. That's not a connection I was ever going to make.
Now you know how I felt yesterday.
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

Lach Trash: Suitor, Bewitched

Good thing Debnorah pronounced "adieu" with the proper accent, or Alex would've ripped her head off

I missed FJ too, not knowing about his benevolent side.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 pm I wouldn't call an all-in bet in this example a suicide wager because 2nd can't cover a zero from the leader.
Huh?

Leader has to wager 6001 to cover a double up from 2nd, a miss drops the leader below 2nd's current score. Since all that matters is the leader's answer, it is most certainly a suicide wager. And it gives third place a chance to move up.

Personally, I think there could be rare times where a suicide wager might be warranted. In a strong category in addition to the leader having a penchant for daintiness and zero wagering sense.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got 37 right, that's a pretty good score for me. If you didn't get Rasputin you should go listen to the song to make it stick in your head forever.

I responded with "To Kill a Mockingbird" instead of Atticus Finch. Oops.

Nobody got Lisa Murkowski's home state of Alaska. That's kind of surprising. I did poorly on the "Which Witch Movie" category so I think I need to start watching different types of movies if I'm going to improve my scores.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Golf wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm
cf1140 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 pm I wouldn't call an all-in bet in this example a suicide wager because 2nd can't cover a zero from the leader.
Huh?

Leader has to wager 6001 to cover a double up from 2nd, a miss drops the leader below 2nd's current score. Since all that matters is the leader's answer, it is most certainly a suicide wager. And it gives third place a chance to move up.

Personally, I think there could be rare times where a suicide wager might be warranted. In a strong category in addition to the leader having a penchant for daintiness and zero wagering sense.
2nd can't bet to cover a zero from 1st AND still stay above 1st if they both get it wrong and 1st makes the normal wager. This is an in between 2/3 and 3/4 situation. An all-in wager isn't that bad because it would suck to get FJ correct and then see a wrong response on 1st's screen only to see they bet zero and you lose because you bet small.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

cf1140 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:54 pm
Golf wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm
Huh?

2nd can't bet to cover a zero from 1st AND still stay above 1st if they both get it wrong and 1st makes the normal wager. This is an in between 2/3 and 3/4 situation. An all-in wager isn't that bad because it would suck to get FJ correct and then see a wrong response on 1st's screen only to see they bet zero and you lose because you bet small.
And just how often does a leader wager zero? And just how often does a contestant use multi-level thinking when wagering? Almost never to both.

Again, in this situation if the leader was a 70-year old woman who wagered 1000 on DD's, I might consider wagering everything because the leader has shown a penchant for wagering uselessly. But outside of these unusual situations, an all-in wager is terrible. If you're trying to give yourself the best chance to win anyway.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

Anyone else say "suer" instead of "suitor"? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFjGNiE8Oo)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

flutist319 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm Anyone else say "suer" instead of "suitor"? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFjGNiE8Oo)
Wouldn't that just get you the opposite lecture from Alex? I think Martin was a dead man walking after his silly guess.

Waiting for someone besides TPH to ask WLT a couple of those top box clues :!:

The way the boardies here and the contestants pounced on the FJ answer makes me assume that something in the clue is Pavlov for Rasputin. The year? Nicky 2? I might as well have guessed Pavlov. I chose Lenin simply because he would possibly have been alive and might have had a previous life before becoming a mass murderer. I gave some thought to the dude that was poisoned, stabbed, shot, and drowned but didn't remember he was a spiritual fellow so I didn't pull up the name (but could have). I'll have to learn more about Russian history now that we have become a satellite nation of theirs.

Deborah is a force and knows a lot of YEKIOYD stuff. I'm surprised there's not chatter here about her chances at the TOC, but a third win may get the buzz going.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
flutist319
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flutist319 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:38 pm
flutist319 wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:17 pm Anyone else say "suer" instead of "suitor"? (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKFjGNiE8Oo)
Wouldn't that just get you the opposite lecture from Alex? I think Martin was a dead man walking after his silly guess.
Maybe. Though "to woo, court" is listed in the OED as an archaic sense of "sue", as it turns out.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

World (5), Magazine (2), Pacific (1), Songs (4), OO Sound (2), Cohen (3)
Oxymoron (3), Witch (3), Chairs (2), "G" Art (3), Wind (2), Fear (2)

Lach Trash: Rajiv Gandhi, Bewitched, Forest Lawn, Alaska; Daily Double: Alps

The first person I thought of was Theodore Roosevelt, based on 1905 and Nicholas II (thinking of Russo/Japanese War and the Treaty of Portsmouth), but I thought of the "God" portion again and it suddenly made sense. It was close, but I'm glad I eventually got it right.
davey

Post by davey »

The way the boardies here and the contestants pounced on the FJ answer makes me assume that something in the clue is Pavlov for Rasputin. The year? Nicky 2? I might as well have guessed Pavlov. I chose Lenin simply because he would possibly have been alive and might have had a previous life before becoming a mass murderer. I gave some thought to the dude that was poisoned, stabbed, shot, and drowned but didn't remember he was a spiritual fellow so I didn't pull up the name (but could have). I'll have to learn more about Russian history now that we have become a satellite nation of theirs.
Yeah, Lenin's previous life involved deposing and murdering Nicholas II, so not much chance the old czar said nice things about him...
davey

Post by davey »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm Lach Trash: Suitor, Bewitched

Good thing Debnorah pronounced "adieu" with the proper accent, or Alex would've ripped her head off
The odd thing is that the proper accent doesn't make an oo sound, so the clue/response didn't fit the category.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I guess the only reason I got it right was because a few months ago I did some reading up on Rasputin. He looked interesting, that's for sure, so I wanted to know more about who he was. I actually had a photo of him as my Facebook profile picture for a little while. :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No show for me today because of "paid programming".

Why can't they put that crap in place of Wheel since that's in reruns right now? Why does this network need to air "paid progamming" 400 times a year?!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Deborah’s wagering for the FJ! round could have cost her as 19800 does not cover Darcy’s potential of 20800. Math, strategy, pretty number? Something was going on. Darcy seemed to aim for Deborah betting her lead of 4400 and going a buck better.
doihavetoreally wrote: I guess Deborah miscalculated by 1k.
No miscalculation when not tacking on the extra dollar.
I think I can see the 'method to her madness'. I think she was merely predicting Darcy to wager short of falling below 8800 (1600). So trimming 1001 off the standard leader's cover bet was an intended double-cross in case they both missed. The only way Deborah loses is if she misses & Darcy gets it, which would happen anyway, if Darcy bets more than 4400.

It appears to me that Darcy was going for the $1 more than Deborah's MSBIW but flummoxed the numbers and wagered what she wanted to leave herself with if she missed, instead of 1599.
In Darcy's position, I would have wagered no more than 0-1599 unless one of my ultimate dream categories came up. So I don't fault Deborah for cutting back on her wager at all.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:30 am

Yeah, Lenin's previous life involved deposing and murdering Nicholas II, so not much chance the old czar said nice things about him...
I don't know if that makes much sense. The clue referenced 1905, so I'm not sure what impact the events of 1917 would have had on the opinions of Nicholas II. (That said, Lenin was already an activist against the government so yes, he wouldn't have been a good guess).
BobF

Post by BobF »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:43 pm I would have gone for the lock on the last DD and been rewarded for my hubris. Not that it would have mattered, as I was just as quick as the players on FJ.

If you are willing to toss away at a chance at a win on a TS FJ, you might as well go all in.
Had the same thought but realized a miss would have given the 2nd place player the win. I think about $7k would be an optimal wager for a strong category and $5 for a weak category.

Spent the first 5 seconds of FJ thinking, "how the hell am I supposed to get this", then calmed myself down, realized Nicholas II was a Russian czar and thought, "I guess it's Rasputin?"
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

It was Nicky II (his whole family was waaaaay influenced by Rasputin) and the Man of God stuff (Rasputin presented himself as being sort of a holy mystic).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BobF wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:47 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:43 pm I would have gone for the lock on the last DD and been rewarded for my hubris. Not that it would have mattered, as I was just as quick as the players on FJ.

If you are willing to toss away at a chance at a win on a TS FJ, you might as well go all in.
Had the same thought but realized a miss would have given the 2nd place player the win. I think about $7k would be an optimal wager for a strong category and $5 for a weak category.

Spent the first 5 seconds of FJ thinking, "how the hell am I supposed to get this", then calmed myself down, realized Nicholas II was a Russian czar and thought, "I guess it's Rasputin?"
My thought on going big on the DD was that it was taking a chance on a category that I knew rather than whatever FJ might be. Plus, it was a fairly limited category that had been rather simple, at least for me.

If politics and government aren't in your wheelhouse, you should definitely preserve your lead.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KellyLasiter wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:57 pm Alex was puckish today! :lol:
Well, he is Canadian!