Wednesday, July 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC EVENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In June 1986 a bakers union expressed regret for a disaster in this European city 320 years before

Deborah Elliott: 13800+6000=19800 (3x = $76,400)
Nancy Bauer: 10800-7801=2999
Keith Fudge: 8400-2399=6001

Correct response:
Spoiler
London (Nancy – Paris) (Keith – What is)

Daily Doubles
Deborah: 5000-1000
Deborah: 6600+2000
Nancy: 14800-2000

Coryats
Deborah: 14400
Nancy: 12800
Keith: 8400

Combined: 35,600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LITERARY THREESOMES $1600 (DD2) In “A Christmas Carol”, this is the third & scariest ghost to visit Scrooge on Christmas Eve

Questions for those that know the book well:
Does Jacob Marley count as a ghost?
Do the ghosts all visit before midnight, so everything happens on Christmas Eve?

Deborah did not lead throughout the game as Nancy had her time at the top in several spots. All of the lead changes and DD plays turned out not to matter thanks to the sole solve in the FJ! round.

Alex had it right. Do the math. 1986-320=1666. Done. I knew Deborah had the game won as soon as I saw Paris because no way that clue could go 0/3. It just could not happen.

Or at least never should. And if so, then the CCs need to change up something on contestant selection. That’s a perfectly fine FJ! clue and it needed to be hit at least once.
KellyLasiter
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by KellyLasiter »

Haven't seen it yet but successfully guessed FJ with math, just now--once I had the year, it rang all the bells.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

I'm sorry, but was Nancy taking a nap during the taping of the previous game? Did she not realize exactly what happened with the wagering theory? Or lack thereof. Who am I kidding, of course she didn't. She was just happy to be there.

Or perhaps she could have realized the lack of wagering theory on Deborah's first two DD's. Oh wait, she doesn't have a clue about that either judging by her own DD wager. I'm also guessing that if the FJ clue would have spelled out 1666 she would have answered correctly rather than having to do simple math to get there.

Are TPTB now giving wagering theory tests at auditions now and not inviting anybody who passes?

What is it that people don't understand about being properly prepared to play a game with so much money at stake?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Golf wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 pm I'm sorry, but was Nancy taking a nap during the taping of the previous game? Did she not realize exactly what happened with the wagering theory? Or lack thereof. Who am I kidding, of course she didn't. She was just happy to be there.

Or perhaps she could have realized the lack of wagering theory on Deborah's first two DD's. Oh wait, she doesn't have a clue about that either judging by her own DD wager. I'm also guessing that if the FJ clue would have spelled out 1666 she would have answered correctly rather than having to do simple math to get there.

Are TPTB now giving wagering theory tests at auditions now and not inviting anybody who passes?

What is it that people don't understand about being properly prepared to play a game with so much money at stake?
It's apparently Random Wager Week; one of Jeopardy's less well known tournaments.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Again...another poor bet from Deborah nearly escapes with a win. Her first day, she bets smart, betting enough to beat Gavin. The second day, she nearly failed a bet on Darcy, missed it by little ($1,001). And yet again, missed it off completely ($1,801). She is sneaking under the radar and it's not gonna take long until she has nowhere to hide.

My prediction is that she's gonna lose tomorrow, seeing that she's run out of chances escaping.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Another easy FJ. Just write a popular European city Keith. He at least had the urgency late in the game.

Nancy is probably upset with Georgians response.

TPH moment..there are ghosts that are not Marley in Christmas Carol? Ok.

Sick J DD clue.. Got only 1. Wouldn't have got it in FJ too. Started in Bhutan and went East.. wrong way.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

"Name a European city that had a big fire." Come on dude.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Another day, another terrible wager from 2nd place that would've let Deb off the hook for betting a nice round number and not wagering to cover. WTF is going on.

The third ghost to visit Scrooge, a DD? OK J! writers.
1986-320 + disaster for FJ? OK J! writers.

...though it did take me every last nanosecond to pull out BhutaN and it should've been a slam dunk, so I dunno.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Debbie's a good player, but her wagering strategy (or lack thereof) is going to cost her eventually. This latest one not only didn't cover an all in bet by Nancy, it put her behind a zero wager from Keith.

Anyone else have Bahrain/Bhutan, plus Benin? I did.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

News (3), Band (3), Phrase (3), World (4), "Science" (4), Hot Dog (4)
Scientist (4), Lassie (2), Lit (0), Car (3), Native (3), "Y" (3)

Lach Trash: Aunt Sally, Volkswagen; Daily Doubles: Bhutan/Bahrain, Delaware

Once I got the year, I knew it right away.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

I knew absolutely nothing about the FJ clue, what it was referring to, or where to even start. The molasses flood came to mind but looking it up afterwards I realized that it was not only in the US, but in the 1900s as well.

Having said all this, I took a wild guess and said London.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

WLT "science fiction" at $200? Didn't recognize any of those names.

Barcelona = unusual architecture?

I had Bhutan but not Bahrain on the DD, the opposite of the contestant.

I thought Pacer was far easier than the two above it, but it ended up being Lach Trash.

No guess on FJ! The keywords led me nowhere. "Baker" had me thinking something food related, and even when he said "fire" the connection didn't register.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

thenextofken wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 pm
Anyone else have Bahrain/Bhutan, plus Benin? I did.
Benin isn't in Asia, nor is it a monarchy.

Having recently spent some time in Bhutan, and discussed the Wangchuck dynasty extensively with my tour guide, I wasn't going to miss that half of the DD. :D

I thought it was very meta that Pavlov himself was one of today's correct responses. :)
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 pm I thought Pacer was far easier than the two above it, but it ended up being Lach Trash.
Agreed to the extent of the $1,600 clue. I grew up in the '70s and '80s and was very into automobiles when I was a child, and I can honestly say that I NHO the VW Thing (which was only sold in the U.S. in 1973 and 1974) until tonight's episode. The clue about that vehicle was just obscure, IMO.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

Rita Hayworth????? The old movie aficionado in me is just appalled at that miss. Even the one who got in right on the rebound didn't seem very sure it was Marlene Dietrich. I fully expected TPH to claim he's never heard of either one of them, but someone actually on the show? Just sad.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nlw44 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 pm Rita Hayworth????? The old movie aficionado in me is just appalled at that miss. Even the one who got in right on the rebound didn't seem very sure it was Marlene Dietrich. I fully expected TPH to claim he's never heard of either one of them, but someone actually on the show? Just sad.
I actually have heard of both of them. The trivia bit about her liking hot dogs and champagne rang a faint bell (I think I saw it in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader), but not loudly enough for it to register in time.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

That B-N DD was tough. She got the tougher one but not the easier one. I would've had a second to spare to get both.
1666 didn't mean anything to me, but I started going through European cities and then the Great Fire clicked. I read recently that it started in a bakery.
The combined Coryats haven't been bad at all lately, so the contestants aren't exactly Subarus. It's just... many of them have obviously NHO The Final Wager.
Hoping for a third lap
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:48 pm
nlw44 wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 pm Rita Hayworth????? The old movie aficionado in me is just appalled at that miss. Even the one who got in right on the rebound didn't seem very sure it was Marlene Dietrich. I fully expected TPH to claim he's never heard of either one of them, but someone actually on the show? Just sad.
I actually have heard of both of them. The trivia bit about her liking hot dogs and champagne rang a faint bell (I think I saw it in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader), but not loudly enough for it to register in time.
At least you didn't spit out Rita Hayworth. I don't think TPTB expected anyone to get it based on the hot dogs and champagne bit, but Marlene Dietrich was a mega-star in movies for many years, so her picture was very recognizable.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"