Thursday, July 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

TenEight wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 pm Heh, one of Cliff Clavin's dream categories strikes again.

I got the reference to Little Rock but I misread the clue and thought that they were looking for the came of the object, not the name of the city. Whoops :-/
What's the difference? Unless you gave it in French.... :?:
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,600
40 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mt. Logan, interjection, divan, Cole Porter, cancellation, par avion (DD)

This FJ! seemed much better suited to being a DD. Thirty seconds is too long to give a contestant to come up with the correct response, particularly given "small."
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenEight

Post by TenEight »

davey wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:14 pm
TenEight wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:55 pm Heh, one of Cliff Clavin's dream categories strikes again.

I got the reference to Little Rock but I misread the clue and thought that they were looking for the came of the object, not the name of the city. Whoops :-/
"What is a rock?" is what i would have said.
we'll, we'll, we'll, if it isn't autocorrect
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 pm The Bible category was difficult than usual, isn't it?
At least they got them all right. The writers, I mean. That's a bit unusual. Yeah, I'd say these were slightly harder overall, an assessment supported by two of the clues being triple stumpers. The oddest part, though, was the DD clue: LAMENTATIONS 4:9: "THEY THAT BE SLAIN WITH THE ____ ARE BETTER THAN THEY THAT BE SLAIN WITH HUNGER". That's not a famous quote as far as I'm aware. I solved it the same way Justin presumably did, with a shrug and a WECIB? As a clue it's not terrible, I suppose, since the obvious guess is the correct response. But choosing it as one of the DDs was odd.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:25 pm The Stephen Foster/I Dream of Jeannie clue seems quite undervalued. I get that it takes place in FL, but for an $800 clue, that's quite the connection you need to quickly make.
Definitely. That clue kept me from running the category. Not to go all TPH, but given Jeannie's powers, she could summon literally any composer from any era. With the show's Florida setting, I suppose Foster makes sense as a guess. But the show never asserted a strong Florida identity to my recollection. What it asserted was a strong NASA identity, with Florida incidentally being a logical location. So I'm not sure I'd have gone with Foster even if I'd thought of him. Gustav Holst, composer of The Planets, might seem like a tighter fit.

EDIT: I see now that the clue was referring to a movie that had nothing to do with the TV show (but used the double-n spelling from the TV show nonetheless). So we were supposed to recognize "Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair" as a Stephen Foster song. That wasn't going to happen for me. If they'd called the movie "Swanee River," I might've had a shot.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:33 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:19 am
Wheatley wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:37 am Would you accept "posters" for that one about beds not having four of these?
I wouldn't.
No chance. A post and a poster are different things.
Really? What's the difference?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

TenEight wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:55 pm
davey wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:14 pm

"What is a rock?" is what i would have said.
Then I'd say you were wrong anyway. The object is known as The Little Rock or La Petite Roche.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 pm The French air mail one seemed really hard to me. I have a decent grasp of French but that just led to a bunch of potential 2 word phrases. I settled on "en vol".
It was probably easier for older people who remember writing and receiving actual letters. Overseas mail always got stamped PAR AVION regardless of where it came from or where it was headed.