Thursday, July 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Thursday, July 20, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nlw44 »

DBear wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 pm Expecting Friday's FJ to be a liederkranz...
Exactly my thinking, after all the really straightforward ones this week.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I got Little Rock off "Little," rather than the "Rock" part of it. Not an instaget, but it didn't take terribly long. My thought process went "Minneapolis? No, that state's capital is St. Paul. What's another word for small?"

No BMS on a $1,600 clue for a composer named Strauss? I guess Zarathustra didn't speak up at the judges' table. And it also seems there was only composer surnamed Gershwin (granted, that clue was top-box).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:01 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:25 pm The Stephen Foster/I Dream of Jeannie clue seems quite undervalued. I get that it takes place in FL, but for an $800 clue, that's quite the connection you need to quickly make.
THE COMPOSER PORTRAYED $800: Bill Shirley in “I Dream of Jeannie” (1952)

Looks like the clue is a spot for an [ERRATUM:] in the Archive as the movie is I Dream of Jeanie with one N and Jeannie with two Ns is the TV character.
That makes a lot more sense. It's "Jeanie with the Light Brown Hair" we're talking about.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 pm No get on French air mail DD. Should I know that?

The Bible category was difficult than usual, isn't it?

For Canadian boardies..does it still surprise you when contestants miss Canadian geography?

FJ was difficult? News to me.
The French air mail one seemed really hard to me. I have a decent grasp of French but that just led to a bunch of potential 2 word phrases. I settled on "en vol".

I was not surprised at all by the Canadian mountain TS. Mount Logan doesn't seem to get nearly the attention, even in Canada, that Denali does in the US. Maybe we need more naming controversies.

And yes, I was surprised too by Alex's comment about FJ being difficult. I can imagine some people taking some time to get at the right answer but if you're on Jeopardy you should know the state capitals and there just aren't that many possibilities for where that clue was pointing.
mdude04
Valued Contributor

Post by mdude04 »

For whatever reason, I've always liked the name Little Rock (even though I've never been there) so it's a top-5 default for me whenever state capitals come up. A rare instaget for me though I do wonder if I would have gotten it without the "small" clue
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 pm And yes, I was surprised too by Alex's comment about FJ being difficult. I can imagine some people taking some time to get at the right answer but if you're on Jeopardy you should know the state capitals and there just aren't that many possibilities for where that clue was pointing.
Then why did I whiff it?
MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Considering that what I said yesterday that Deborah would soon have no place to hide, she completely got exposed, and Todd Giese must be breathing a sigh for relief, as TWICE he narrowly escaped out to keep his 15th spot in the ToC.

I agree with Bamaman right there. If it was a hard FJ!, Doug could have won by a small amount right there. Seeing that it was a more Kids Week kind of clue, this made it easy for Justin to be a history teacher, this was a wheelhouse guess right there for him since it referenced a history part to this. The word "small" should have gave it away, considering that it took me the whole 30 seconds to completely figure it out. I overcomplicated this FJ! a little bit, considering that there's 50 state capitals. At first, I was thinking of this clue as the "least populated state capital", but "small" had gave it away. Last-second guessing right there literally had me on using over 50 percent of my brain.

Six episodes left, and we haven't seen a Kids Week episode come out, and hopefully, next week will be Kids Week to finish off this season.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 pm No get on French air mail DD. Should I know that?

For Canadian boardies..does it still surprise you when contestants miss Canadian geography?

The French air mail one seemed really hard to me. I have a decent grasp of French but that just led to a bunch of potential 2 word phrases. I settled on "en vol".
For anyone in Canada, the air mail clue was very easy:
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:02 pm Six episodes left, and we haven't seen a Kids Week episode come out, and hopefully, next week will be Kids Week to finish off this season.
I don't believe there's been a Kids' Week since 2015, so I think it's unlikely we'll see one this year.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:11 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:02 pm Six episodes left, and we haven't seen a Kids Week episode come out, and hopefully, next week will be Kids Week to finish off this season.
I don't believe there's been a Kids' Week since 2015, so I think it's unlikely we'll see one this year.
I hope they haven't cancelled Kids Week...
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not immediately obvious. I collected stamps in my youth, so I had no issues with that or FDI (there's also FDC -- First Day Cover -- which is when the stamp is already on an envelope/postcard, usually commemorative in nature)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm embarrassed that I couldn't come up with "par avion" because I'm a mailman and I've seen it many times.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:There were a lot of ways for Deborah to have led for the FJ! round and none of them worked out. What I am curious about is if Deborah would have known DD3 that Justin missed.
xxaaaxx wrote: Anyone surprised by Deb's overwager? Anyone? The only real mystery is, would've she have finally wagered to cover had she snuck into the lead at the end?
I was really hoping Deborah would recapture the lead for FJ (or better yet, end up tied) because let's face it, it's been good entertainment.
Had the pre-FJ scores been reversed, I believe she would have once again wagered a grand or two short of the cover, and probably won with Justin making a sensible bet. My question is how many of Deborah's previous games did Justin witness from the audience, and would that have influenced his Final wager?
Last edited by Category 13 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 pm For Canadian boardies..does it still surprise you when contestants miss Canadian geography?
Yes, but at least the people who put the boards together know this and usually put the Canadian clues in the bottom rows.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:57 pm
mcsheffrey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:40 pm And yes, I was surprised too by Alex's comment about FJ being difficult. I can imagine some people taking some time to get at the right answer but if you're on Jeopardy you should know the state capitals and there just aren't that many possibilities for where that clue was pointing.
Then why did I whiff it?
Because you refuse to learn things? Just spitballing.
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm
But, per your username, you're a college student, why are you concerned about Kids Week?

(Personally, there seem to be several good reasons lately for quietly killing it, it was enjoyable, but I'm behind the move if that's what actually happened.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

For FJ I started thinking about "World Capitals" and had a lot of trouble. Then I read the category again and got it right away with plenty of time.
hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:14 pm No BMS on a $1,600 clue for a composer named Strauss? And it also seems there was only composer surnamed Gershwin (granted, that clue was top-box).
I was surprised they accepted "Gershwin" but forgot about the second "Strauss".

George and Ira Gershwin were brothers that both collaborated to make music. Ira Gershwin has come up in Jeopardy a lot but mostly in associated with his brother.

Johann Strauss was known as the "Waltz King" and was active in the 1800s. Strauss wrote operas and was active during the 1900s in Germany.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Speech (0), Eco (2), Furniture (1), Episode (5), Geo "L" (4), Chess (1)
Ancient (4), Composer (2), Stamp (1), "MENT" (3), 21st Century (4), Bible (2)

Lach Trash: Mount Logan, J.K. Simmons, embankment

Instaget FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm
I don't think we'll ever see one again while Alex Trebek is host.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

DBear wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 am
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm I hope they haven't cancelled Kids Week...
I'd be incredibly surprised if Alex Trebek was convinced to host another Kids Week.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:59 am
DBear wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 am
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:13 pm I hope they haven't cancelled Kids Week...
I'd be incredibly surprised if Alex Trebek was convinced to host another Kids Week.
God, I'd almost forgotten about that whole fiasco.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

DBear wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:58 pm Expecting Friday's FJ to be a liederkranz...
I was going to say they should save it for the actual Liederkranniversary, but the 23rd is a Sunday this year.