Monday, July 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 24, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLLEGES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When this school opened in 1845, the curriculum for the class of 50 had math & navigation, chemistry & gunnery & steam

Justin Vossler: 14000+4000=18000 (3x = $72,500)
Emily Bridges: 11600-11600=0
Shannon Hindahl: 8100+8000=16100

Correct response:
Spoiler
U.S. Naval Academy (Emily – MIT) (Shannon – Naval Academy [she added “I {drawn heart} Eddie Vedder!"])

Daily Doubles
Shannon: 3400-1500
Justin: 1600+1600
Justin: 7200+2000

Coryats
Justin: 12800
Emily: 11600
Shannon: 9600

Combined: 34,000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Justin played Jekyll & Hyde and for his benefit the better part of his game was later in the DJ! round and FJ! round.

Unlike Alex I could not laugh at Justin’s sloth error since I guessed the same thing. Multi-toed and blocking the hallway had me picturing the same critter for some reason.

There must have been some triple trapdoor springing when no one got Sorkin and if that didn’t do it then not knowing Willson with two Ls could have done the trick as well. At least Emily knew Pier 39 with the sea lions = San Francisco.

In a rare feat with three different responses I managed to match all the players. First I wrote M.I.T. and then I crossed it out for Naval Academy. Before time was up I added U.S. to complete my response. The only thing I did not do was add a shout out to a musician.

Wasn’t there a time when the leader going into the FJ! round would wager for 2nd place doubling up and the leader would then add a dollar more to that figure? There are a lot of ways to throw away $5,000 and Justin’s method today is a real head scratcher.

Looking ahead to next week and the reruns the TV schedule shows the Teen Tournament up first.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Random Wagering Syndrome has apparently infected many contestants these days.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Justin's a High School History Teacher, but if he's probably dealing with an FJ! category like colleges, his idea was that he probably hoped that it was a tough clue (Which was sort of tough) and wound up a triple stumper. He nearly escaped right there, as Shannon and Emily bet almost and all of their money.

Part one of his plan was successful, but part two, not so much. Unfortunately, he and Shannon got FJ! right, but Justin played a modest bet to cover Shannon. As Todd Giese sees this, his chances to keep his ToC slot is slowly getting away from him.

That's two strikes already on Todd Giese, and a third would literally get him gone for sure. Last week, Gavin and Deborah almost cost Todd his slot spot, and with Justin on the batter's plate, Todd can only hope tomorrow's game would be the challenger's victory and not the champ's.

If anybody has a better explanation towards Justin's bet, that would really be nice to know about.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I will never cease being shocked when a Jeopardy! contestant has the lead going into FJ and doesn't wager enough to guarantee a win with a correct response. You're doing great! Believe in yourself!
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Had Emily been on a couple of weeks ago she definitely would have been sporting a flower in her hair.

Shannon obviously hated the shoe category, but then when finding the DD in the 4th row she wagered $1500? Are you kidding me?

Justin finds a DD in DJ with $1600 and makes it a TDD as opposed to wagering $2k? It was here that I went looking for some aspirin. Then I laughed at him on his next DD wager.

I'd love to think that Emily knew how weak Justin wagers and adjusted accordingly, she well could have been in the audience the prior tape day. But the odds of that are long.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I have no artistic or photoshop skills, else FDR with a sloth on a leaash would be very tempting. Not the only strange neg today. The borough of Tribeca!?

Navigation + gunnery? The J! writers are on vacation already.
Elijah Baley wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:14 pm Random Wagering Syndrome has apparently infected many contestants these days.
I hate to be mean, but I hope he makes another wager just like that and loses as a result. Future contestants need to learn (and maybe stop doing that? A guy can dream).
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:35 pm I hate to be mean, but I hope he makes another wager just like that and loses as a result. Future contestants need to learn (and maybe stop doing that? A guy can dream).
It's too bad Emily missed FJ. We could have seen that scenario played out tonight.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

If anything, this is teaching second-place (next season) to be more aggressive, even if it seems strategically wrong.

Eddie Vedder, huh? OK.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the Fake News in J! round was upside down. Daily Planet was by far the easiest IMO.

Lach Trash: clogs, heels

Ran 20th Century Words.

WLT guppy, Scotland, or Nike in the top box?

NHO Patty Davis. Can we poll that?

Also NHO Henry Clay that I recall.

The key words led me nowhere. I know that the Naval Academy exists, but didn't know it was a college.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

One of my favorite things about this show is how often I'll say something as a joke, then one of the contestants guesses that very thing. It happened in the 7/12 episode with
Spoiler
home runs
and again tonight with sloth.
TenEight

Post by TenEight »

My Coryat score was a lot lower than my previous ones (6,400 as opposed to 12,000-16,800), but I watched this game with my mom and she ended DJ in the negatives so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad. My mom also said that she had a lot of fun and it was her first time in a while watching Jeopardy, so at least I got to make her happy. (Plus I taught her about Coryat scores.)

Thoughts:
  • I guess I don't remember as much of Harry Potter as I thought I did from 5th grade :-/
  • Still internally LOLing over sloth.
  • My dad walked in at the last minute and said he almost guessed Naval Academy for FJ but thought it was older than the date given. My first thought was War College but then I remembered that was younger than the date given.
we'll, we'll, we'll, if it isn't autocorrect
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

For THEY STOP DRAINS, I confidently said "stoppers" because I thought we were in the double-p category rather than SHOE NAMES. Sigh.

So we identify the "cursed Jezebel of England" as "Mary" and don't have to BMS? Wow.

I don't know how I would've done under the lights. From the couch, I drank the milkshake of all three of those contestants. More trash than I can recall.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MTG wrote: If anybody has a better explanation towards Justin's bet, that would really be nice to know about.
Maybe he was expecting Emily to play it safe and cover Shannon's doubled score with a 4601 bet. This wouldn't have been a bad play for Emily, as she would stay above Justin (normal cover wager) on a TS. Also with his 4000 bet, Justin wins a TS if Emily wagers more than 1600.
Emily also had the option of wagering 2401-3499 to win on a TS with a 'normal' cover wager from Justin; or to win over a zero wager from Justin & shortagey wager from Shannon (0-1100) in a W-R-R.

Of three sub-optimal wagers in this FJ, Justin's wasn't the worst, IMO.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Ran "20th century words" and almost ran "Animal Farm" except I blanked on Old Major's name.

Lach Trash: Clogs, alcohol, Aaron Sorkin.

Justin needs to start betting to win.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Is this the last week of the season?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:27 pm For THEY STOP DRAINS, I confidently said "stoppers" because I thought we were in the double-p category rather than SHOE NAMES. Sigh.

So we identify the "cursed Jezebel of England" as "Mary" and don't have to BMS? Wow.
Same here with my neg of "stopper," and same here with my shocked face at no BMS on Queen Mary. BMS's seem to be becoming a rare beast on J!. Was it just last week that
Spoiler
Strauss for a musical composer
wasn't BMS'd?

Oh, and just like MarkBarrett, I thought "sloth" for the 6-toed Presidential pet (but not sure I would have rung in with it, because it seemed so bizarre).

I had Cape Canaveral for Kennedy Space Center. Since they gave it to the contestant for his response of "Cape Kennedy," I'm sure I would have been credited too.

Just as I was about to write down on my notes that the Black Forest clue was overvalued at $2K, the contestant negged with Ardennes.

On the final clue of DJ, if I were the contestant who landed on it, I so would have blurted out "Who were those darn Etruscans?"

Got the FJ. Wondered if it could be West Point (you need navigation on land, too), but steam pointed to seagoing vessels, and I was pretty sure West Point was significantly older than 1845 (turns out it was founded in 1802).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

My lucky FJ streak ends today. Not knowing what else to say, I said Vassar. Didn't realize it was going to be as straightforward as it was.