Welcome to TD 351 – Alphabet Soup. I couldn’t bear the thought of a week without a TD, so I threw this one together in the past hour or so.
The goal is to give a correct answer that is given by the fewest other players. You will receive one point for each person who gives the same answer as you, including yourself. Scoring is additive, and low score wins.
Incorrect responses will receive the sheep (most popular) answer +5. Ties will be broken by earliest submission.
As always, no cheating; all answers must come from your own brain.
You may use “X” for one question and receive zero points for that question – please use your drop as there is no advantage to not doing so. You may also choose “ZZZ” for one question you would like to sleep through; if used, you will receive the same amount of points on that question as the sheep response.
Please submit your answer through THIS FORM, and PM me with any questions or needed clarifications. I will post as needed. Deadline is Midnight CDT, Monday, July 31.
1. Easy as A-B-C: Name a film beginning with the letter A, B, or C that won the Oscar for best picture (I am excluding films beginning with articles, so An American in Paris would be incorrect as would The Broadway Melody). 17 possible answers.
2. “D”elightful Music: Name the artist associated with the album listed below. I have included the year of release for help and clarification. No need to list the album with your answer.
Dare to be Stupid (1985)
Darkness on the Edge of Town (1978)
Dead Letter Office (1987)
Defenders of the Faith (1984)
Diamond Dogs (1974)
Disclaimer II (2004)
Dixie Chicken (1971)
Don’t Look Back (1978)
Double Vision (1978)
Dreamboat Annie (1976)
5. Buying a vowel: Name a U.S. state that begins with a vowel. 12 possible answers.
6. Double “U”: Give me an acceptable Scrabble word that contains at least two Us. ?? possible answers.
7. “LC”: That is the designation for the Library of Congress. Name an entertainer who has won the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, which began in 2007 (one year had two honorees). 9 possible answers.
8. Acronyms: Tell me what one of these acronyms stand for. 10 possible answers.
10. Name the author of one of the books listed below. 12 possible answers.
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Fifty Shades of Grey
Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café