Wednesday, July 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 26, 2017 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Fleeboy »

hbomb1947 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:15 pm MY FJ streak ends at 14. I had no chance on this one. I said Boys Town just to say something, even though I had a feeling that the movie was pre-1952 (1938, it turns out) and didn't know if it had even been based on a book (it wasn't). No way was I getting within a mile of Hemingway, let alone The Old Man and the Sea.
FYI, interior scenes in Boys Town were filmed on Stage 10 at MGM (now Sony Pictures Studios). Some quiz show tapes there now.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I was never getting there on FJ. Spencer Tracy completely distracted me, although that quote wouldn't have led me to the right place anyway. I ended up trying to decide between Inherit the Wind, Judgement at Nuremberg, and Guess Who's Coming To Dinner (disregarding his other Hepburn collaborations).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 pm . Here, in no particular order, are 25 actors I would consider more likely to have played Santiago in a 1958 film.
  1. John Wayne
  2. Cesar Romero
  3. Henry Fonda
  4. Humphrey Bogart
  5. Robert Mitchum
  6. Wallace Beery (died in '49. Did not know that.)
  7. William Holden
  8. John Carradine
  9. Douglas Fairbanks
  10. Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
  11. William Demarest
  12. Gary Cooper
  13. Ronald Coleman
  14. Ernest Borgnine
  15. Walter Huston
  16. Gregory Peck
  17. Melvyn Douglas
  18. Errol Flynn
  19. Walter Brennan
  20. Ray Bolger
  21. Bert Lahr
  22. Frank Morgan
  23. Jack Haley
  24. Buddy Ebsen
  25. Don Ameche
To be fair, I'd have picked Tracy over Clark Gable, Cary Grant, or Jimmy Stewart.
This is a list of names of men who all like identical to me in old black and white movies, especially when they all wear a jacket and thin tie. I've never been able to make it 15 minutes into a classic movie without losing track of the actors and characters, and never got hooked on the genre. I think Wayne, Borgnine, and Mitchum are the only ones I would know, assuming I had seen the credits.

Leave it to the Penguin to be able to tell all these identical black and white leading men apart. Of course penguins in courtship can't even tell their genders apart except the male is the one presenting the rock :lol: .

As a complete movie-idiot, and non-fan of fiction, I picked Death of a Salesman, knowing it was a play and any movie would have been long after the Broadway run of 30 years or whatever.

I think it's time for some love for Justin on the board. He's the kind of teacher you want for your children. He seems to know how to stay clam and rarely misses, six toed pets notwithstanding. And I'm glad to see a teacher get paid, even if it isn't in the same league as a scorned nanny.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm Anyone else take a shot with "Inherit the Wind", even though it was a play?
I had to go with "Inherit the Wind" after I rejected "Captains Courageous," which was the first thought that popped into my mind. However, I knew instantly it came from Kipling and the source long predated 1952. Would have had to write down Inherit the Wind as my only acceptable 30-second response. Might have gotten Old Man and the Sea if I had 5 minutes. Might not have.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Some discussion about Justin's place in the upcoming ToC. However, here's a different thought.

If this is truly the final week of the season before tourney repeats and the ToC, what will happen if Justin wins out and finishes the week with 7 wins and counting?

Will TPTB invite a current champ to the ToC during the season interregnum? Or would Justin come back in the first show of season 34 at the top of the new ToC list?

That is of course moot if he loses Thursday or Friday -- but if he doesn't, will he qualify for this ToC, or the next one? Any precedents?
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 pm [At the 20-second mark I decided the line sounded more like something from Boys Town and switched to that. Turns out that was way too early (1938).
That was the only movie of his I could think of, although I was pretty sure it wasn't right.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

OSXpert wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:52 pm My S.O. Said Quebec instead of Quebecois - acceptable?
IMO, no. The name of the party is Parti Quebecois - that's the official title. (It's also grammatical French, and the Quebecois would not appreciate mangled French in the titles of their political parties ;) )

As another example, I think if I answered a clue about the party of which Gary Johnson is leader with "The Libertarianism Party" I would be ruled incorrect as that isn't the official title of Johnson's party.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Really, WNEM? Another freaking paid progamming block? What is your goddamn problem?!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:43 pm Some discussion about Justin's place in the upcoming ToC. However, here's a different thought.

If this is truly the final week of the season before tourney repeats and the ToC, what will happen if Justin wins out and finishes the week with 7 wins and counting?

Will TPTB invite a current champ to the ToC during the season interregnum? Or would Justin come back in the first show of season 34 at the top of the new ToC list?

That is of course moot if he loses Thursday or Friday -- but if he doesn't, will he qualify for this ToC or the next. Any precedents?
This is the last week of the season with no if. There will be six weeks of reruns. Bank on it. That puts the debut of S34 on September 11. The TOC tapes Sept. 18 & 19. There will be regular games airing before the TOC airs. It's likely November 6-17 for the TOC but it could be earlier. There have even been some tournaments aired with the 10 games split over three weeks and boy does confuse a lot of people who can't handle that break in protocol.

With the TOC taping in the middle of September that means there will have been weeks of S34 games already played and taped. It has happened previously that a person has taped regular games before the games air and that champ shows up at the TOC taping as a "Mystery Guest" or unknown factor.

The qualifying period for the TOC could go right up to Friday, November 3rd with a 5x or higher champ losing and then showing up the next week in the TOC.

The field has other ways of changing from how it looks now. One of the students could need time to do something and be allowed to play in the TOC after the 2017 one. It's happened previously. Justin could keep on winning past the qualifying deadline bumping him to a 2018 or later TOC. The 2017 & 2015 TOCs have shown how mortal and legal matters can affect the field.

The cleanest break is another 5x or above champ between now and the TOC airing with the best 4x champ as alternate. What could happen if the powers so chose if the situation dictated, but would be wrong in my opinion would be for a low-scoring 5-time champ not to make the TOC. That level of success should still be sacred and carry with it the extra reward of getting to play again.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:46 pm Anyone else take a shot with "Inherit the Wind", even though it was a play?
That's what I was trying to go for, but couldn't think of the title; so I went with "12 angry Men" just to say something.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Like others, the Spencer Tracy movie bit did not help me one iota. I came up with "The Lost Weekend" which at least is both a book and a movie. My FJ streak ends at 15.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dexterG
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by dexterG »

I am very surprised that FJ was a triple stumper. Instaget FJ for me. I think I caught The Old Man and the Sea on TCM. Haven't most of Hemingway's novels been made into movies??
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:33 pm
MTGcollegestudent wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:21 pm Yikes...once again, Justin benefits from making this an interesting game and benefits from a triple stumper. Kellie's strategy made it somehow effective, considering that she had no chance to win. Glaring that Seth didn't get it right and dropped him to a 3rd place finish. Justin for sure has kicked Todd Giese off the ToC slot, and is now a 5-time champion. Well...after seeing how this week ends, going to season 34, it'll be interesting what kind of games we're gonna expect.

I didn't even know that The Old Man and the Sea was even a film.

Neither did I. and THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY wasn't even FILMED until 32 years after Spencer Tracy's death.
Funny thing is, that's like trying to pass off saying James Dean starred in BLUE VELVET. Considering that James Dean passed away for over 30 years, and to come back on Blue Velvet would really shock the world.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

0/3 on FJs so far this week. It would be cool if I went from a perfect FJ week to another shutout, right?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Easy FJ for me although I did go to Guess Who's Coming To Dinner first. I only got it because of the Spencer part of the clue. As someone else said, TCM shows it regularly. As someone else said, it's odd to see so many TSs on basic knowledge. At my audition one of the contestant coordinators seemed to love talking about "fur babies." How about more time spent on the buzzer & the questions???
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

So first on Monday they had Tennessee and guppy as correct responses on the same board, and today they had a clue about a king named Haakon. I apparently saw the wrong episode on Tuesday, so I don't know if there's just something about this week with lots of writer's in-jokes.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

I decided to go with that at the end; I was also thinking of Judgment at Nuremberg and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, but I didn't feel confident about any of those guesses, either. It didn't help that I wasn't familiar with Spencer Tracy being in an adaptation of that movie or the quote in question.

33 right.

Director (4), Electricity (2), Wrote (3), N*P*R (1), Muffins (3), Crooks (3)
13th Century (2), Bee (2), Canada (2), "New" Cities (4), Britannica (5), Broadway (2)

Lach Trash; Saturday Night Fever, Harry Houdini
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:13 am So first on Monday they had Tennessee and guppy as correct responses on the same board, and today they had a clue about a king named Haakon. I apparently saw the wrong episode on Tuesday, so I don't know if there's just something about this week with lots of writer's in-jokes.
I don't get it; what are the in-jokes concerning "Tennessee", "guppy", and "Haakon"?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mungar wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:04 pm I threw out Judgment at Nuremberg, just to have a post-1952 Spencer Tracy film down :oops:
Not a bad miss at all.

In my case it helped that I have both read the novella and seen the picture. And not decades ago, either. I believe I saw the movie for the first time only about ten years ago.

Of course today this movie could never have been a commercial success, since ...

(SPOILER ALERT!!)...

the sharks in it eat only Santiago''s marlin, not Santiago and his boat.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:49 am As someone else said, it's odd to see so many TSs on basic knowledge.
I don't think it's as "basic" as you seem to think it is.